Fable II: Game Episodes Now Available On Xbox Live

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Fable II: Game Episodes Now Available On Xbox Live

Fable II is now available on the Xbox Live Marketplace, and Microsoft has conveniently chopped it up into little pieces to ease your digestion.

Actually, that description is perhaps too altruistic. Microsoft and developer Lionhead Studios have struck a deal to bring the blockbuster roleplaying game to the console's downloadable games on demand service, only instead of forcing gamers to pay full price and download a 40 to 60 hour long epic, the game has been cut into less expensive episodes.

Like that theoretical drug dealer your mother warned you about, the first episode is being offered free of charge for anyone with an Xbox Live account and a functional Internet connection.

The episodic version of Fable II seemingly has all the functionality of its disc-based counterpart (including online multiplayer and compatibility with the two downloadable content add-ons Lionhead has made available for the game) only without the hassle of having to muck around with a disc. Given that added convenience and the insidious "the first hit's free" business model, this should be a huge success.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Drug dealers do give out their heroin for free, sometimes. They do it when they're introducing a different supply and they build street cred on the new product by giving it free and letting the junkies tell their friends. It's not all that theoretical. It's just a lot rarer than mommy tells you about.

Anyhow, doesn't this make the game a lot more linear? Sounds like Fable II without all the fun of exploring lots of different places at different times.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
HobbesMkii said:
Drug dealers do give out their heroin for free, sometimes. They do it when they're introducing a different supply and they build street cred on the new product by giving it free and letting the junkies tell their friends. It's not all that theoretical. It's just a lot rarer than mommy tells you about.
I would like to congratulate you for so fully buying into Nancy Reagan's ideals.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go scour the streets for some of this magical free heroin you mentioned. While I'm out do you want anything? Maybe a unicorn or a leprechaun? How about I just transmute a bunch of lead into gold for you?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
HobbesMkii said:
I would like to congratulate you for so fully buying into Nancy Reagan's ideals.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go scour the streets for some of this magical free heroin you mentioned. While I'm out do you want anything? Maybe a unicorn or a leprechaun? How about I just transmute a bunch of lead into gold for you?
Bring me some of those pills that make your wang bigger. I don't actually use it but I think it'd look great on the mantle.

Seeing as I played Fable 2, It was not a 40 - 60 hour epic, and it was total trash compared to the original Fable, and I SOLD that ***** fast as possible... They can keep it and their new way of milking money out of old content.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
I think Lionhead needs to do something just so unbelievably cool to make me forgive them for this little idea. *sigh*

Postman667

Sep 29, 2009
I too was disappointed with Fable 2 and I'm glad I waited 3 months later to buy it cheap. They promised a lot of innovation, better graphics and an better storyline, but I just didn't see it. It's not even really a free form game, and was surprised how linear it was. It's a kick in the face to even buy these trash DLCs.

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
God dammit, they have time to freaking chop it up on xbox but not enough time to port it to pc. -.- I hate lionhead so bad now.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
So basically like getting the game, but with waiting for the rest of it to come out?
Not to mention it might take up more space.

I already own it, so non-fable II owners can just say how they feel about this.

Zero out.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
HobbesMkii said:

Actually, if you could convert lead to gold for me I would be very appreciative. Also, be a darling and convert the worlds supply of uranium into Kit-Kats. Thanks.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
HobbesMkii said:

And I, in turn, will congratulate you for not living in a city with a high drug problem. They're called "testers" and they're used, as I said before, to establish cred. Most drugs are sold using a brand name (I don't know if you've ever seen American Gangster, but it's discussed there). Just like all branding, name recognition is key. I'm sure there are people hired by the Escapist and/or Themis who deal with branding, and can talk to you more about this. When your supply changes, and your drugs become different (i.e. your product changes), you have to re-familiarize your consumer with your product. If you don't think that drug dealers take a cue from corporate America, then you don't know enough about drugs to offer me an outright dismissal like you did.

And it's not like it's free day for heroin users, especially not for "new" users. And some white boy driving through the ghetto to purchase heroin isn't gonna not get charged (after all, everyone knows he's got the money to blow on this shit, and what's the chance he's gonna be stick around long enough to argue that "Red Magic" isn't as good as "Blue Magic?" in some neighborhood where no one looks like him?). But if you're a junkie who lives in the neighborhood, who buys based on product name, you might manage to snag a tester every once in a long while. After all, it's not like changing brands is advantageous and super duper common, especially not if they have to reestablish the brand's name each time. But it happens. It's a dangerous activity, and it's illegal, so things are gonna change. It's not a conspiracy to addict, like what you seem to think I believe. Only current addicts are going to be the ones who're gonna snag this stuff.

But thanks for your snark anyway. Would you like me to remove the self-righteous pole up your ass, while I'm out?