Fable III Dev Lobs a Few Word Bombs at the Haters

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
Repetitive as hell and why would it deserve an audio award, just because you can slam some classic music in a game doesn't justify that. And neither does having John Cleese does it, yes he's good, but not that good.
Biggest mistake Fable 1 is the best one and will always be the best Fable game.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I'm looking forward to playing this. I had to skip Fable 2 because I don't own a Xbox360, so now I'm curious how the game has changed over the years since Fable 1, which I really like.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
People saying the story wasn't very good was unfair. It's an interesting situation of you gather people together and then defeating the main bad guy. It's a pretty good story and it's pretty fun.
This made me lol: 'you gather people together and then defeating the main bad guy' The biggest video game cliché ever...

I'm sure Stephen Fry et al had a great time recording the vocals, but often they were given poor material, and the 'comic' delivery sometimes clunked in dramatic moments.

Grrr...This really annoys me actually, the whole thing comes across as so arrogant. I know he's trying to sell the PC version of Fable3 here, but it comes across as a big 'FUCK YOU' to the fans (and others) who care and want to see improvements made. It's not a fucking perfect game, it's just a good game. What a dick.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
No... Your game was received poorly because it wasn't good. I honestly went in not listening to a word Peter Molyneaux had said (despite the "being able to change your sword thing". I really wanna know where he spouted that bullshit from).

It was a step in the wrong direction, much less fun than Fable 2, and for fucks sakes, it was way to easy. I didn't die one time through.

It was just a smaller version of a game that used to be alright.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
My problem with it wasn't the story itself. It was good enough for the type of series Fable is. My issues were the pacing and execution of the story, the gameplay mechanics and the damn holding hands for returning criminals to jail.

I agree with West on the voice acting and soundtrack, it was great stuff (maybe not award winning great stuff but still very good). I just think that when you have enough glaring problems with a game, something like the audio components take a back seat to the bigger concerns.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
You don't like my story? I do!
You are wrong!
You don't like my gameplay? I do!
You are wrong!
You don't like my game's attitude? I do!
You are wrong!
You don't like my voice acting! Wait, you do? Oh...well then...I WANT SOMETHING SHINY SAYING YOU DO!
That's all I heard.
He came off incredibly whiny. When a review/player isn't playing the game right, it's not their fault, it's the games.
When a story is criticized for having very few good elements, yes, someone will enjoy it, but there's probably a problem with the story.
If the game's style came off poorly, again, not the players fault, but the fault of the makers and writers.
Opinions =/= facts

delanofilms

Apr 25, 2009
ThatDaveDude1 said:
...he's joking, right?

This is some clever satire of arrogant developers...right?

...right?

He can't possibly be serious with this shit...
Sorry Fluttershy, it seems he is. Care to work up The Stare?

delanofilms

Apr 25, 2009
Beryl77 said:
I'm looking forward to playing this. I had to skip Fable 2 because I don't own a Xbox360, so now I'm curious how the game has changed over the years since Fable 1, which I really like.
Prepare for disappointment.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
Granted I haven't played the game personally, but the co-op experience can be summed up as making the combat difficulty level go from easy to insultingly easy, and as the story doesn't even pay attention to your companion, I don't see how you can call this a co-op RPG (I saw a gameplay video in which, during an important conversation, every NPC was focused on player one, with player two moving around all around them, even cutting off line of sight, and not being noticed in the slightest). Second player might as well be a combat-enabled ghost. Go make a game in which both characters are integral to and noticed by the story, and we can talk co-op RPG.

Hussmann54

Dec 14, 2009
If fable has taught me anything its that
okay yeah, I liked the first game, it was pretty entertaining.
as for number 2? meh..
3? hardly played enough for a good well rounded opinion.
moral of the story: Anything Peter Molynuex says needs to be taken with a grain of salt. A very big, very scrutinizing grain of salt.

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
I played it through to the ending. Was amused by it, maxed out all my skills, not that it mattered as I got the achievement for not dying on a full playthrough without even realising it was something to be considered achieveing.

Story was... well lets be honest the Original, Red Faction was way more fun in terms of raising a Coup and over throwing an unwanted reigime back on the PS2.

Combat was clean, fluid but then again so was the combat in Dragon Age 2 and I havent even cleared the Deep Roads chapter yet having bought the game on pre - order.

Sound was good and I do agree that substandard factory production line games like Black Ops do win way too many awards while games with polish like This do get under-appreciated but that said... Yes FPS games are more popular and if you couldnt drag us gamers into your world its not our fault you failed to conduct market research and make a game we want to play.

No the reality here is you made a game YOU want to play then told us to play it, when we said it isnt what we wanted you insulted us. Sorry man but Gears 3 will most likely out strip your sales on Fable 3 simply because its a game that has been made for its fans with the right research.

Feel free to sit in your corner and sulk all you want Lionhead but it wont help you make Dungeon keeper 3 any faster, a game I would sincerely trade my left arm for instead of this repetitive "Co-op RPG" shite which has all the multiplayer functiuonality of a Kick in the bawls.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
My good man, I loved the story in Fable III. UNTIL the end. Uniting the country, preparing for to overthrow your brother, and then throwing in that hint that there's something even more dangerous. All very well told. But then, I'm made King/Queen, and the story falls flat. What's more, the final boss in the game is literally just another bandit battle, but you're only fighting one bandit. Instead of some epic clash--like the Lost Chapters--I'm fighting some old guy who I easily stomp into the ground.
As for the voice acting, the main and minor characters were all very well done. The generic voices for the NPCs however all sound like they are from a silly British comedy routine to me. I know not everyone with an English accent sounds that way, so try mixing it up. Part of the reason I never get married in these games is because my spouse's voice grates my nerves.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
"People saying the story wasn't very good was unfair"

Isn't that entirely subjective to opinion?
How can it be 'unfair' to say you didn't like something? I don't think any of the Fable games have had decent stories myself, I think they've all been pretty terrible. I don't curse Peter out for it though, so nobody can claim I'm being unfair.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
So we didn't like the game because we didn't understand how good it was? I don't think that's our problem...

You know what, instead of insulting the players, why not work on fixing it. I actually found the humor of the game was the best part. The flavor text, the characters, the kooky dialog, I thought that was fun and made the game bearable, the story, well that made no sense overall, but I didn't care because I could shoot insulting gnomes, fuck gargoyles, gnomes brought to life shouting obscenities and calling my mama fat, awesome!

I wouldn't buy Fable 3 not because of the meh game, but instead because it didn't bring anything new. Hey West and Peter, why not instead of making Fable 4 someday in a fantasy setting, make a steampunk WW2 game, or something new, and take the good elements the 3 Fables have given you, rework it in new ways, and make a better game rather than complain about our decisions

hazard99

Nov 18, 2009
He never explained why Fable III wasn't as well received as the others... ( Hint the other two were better)

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
I swear I read this same article [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105931-Spector-Says-Critics-Misunderstand-Epic-Mickey] a few short months ago...hrm. Strangest thing.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Beryl77 said:
Imagine playing Fable, but it's prettier. And you can play a female. Also, everything is far easier. Far far easier.