Fable III Dev Lobs a Few Word Bombs at the Haters

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
ReiverCorrupter said:
Did you get to the Cthulhu wannabe? That's where it started to pick up. The story had potential and the characters were done pretty well. And it had great voice acting, that part is undeniable. But it just didn't execute. It was rushed at the end. Honestly you should have spent another 5-10 hours as King with more plot, but instead you got 15 minutes of rushed decisions. They just ran out of money and you could tell. They got to the most interesting part of the story where you have all these possibilities for plot twists and how you keep or break your promises, but they didn't do any of it. THAT was what made it an absolute disappointment. I'm renting the next one. If it's a single player RPG focused on story then I WANT MORE STORY. Period.
I didn't get that far, it was far too "go here, do this for villager A, lather, rinse, repeat" for my liking. I got bored quite quickly. I really enjoyed Fable II and really wanted to like III, but when I started spending my time helping out villagers with menial tasks, I stopped playing. Not my kind of game to invest so much time into.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Andaxay said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
Did you get to the Cthulhu wannabe? That's where it started to pick up. The story had potential and the characters were done pretty well. And it had great voice acting, that part is undeniable. But it just didn't execute. It was rushed at the end. Honestly you should have spent another 5-10 hours as King with more plot, but instead you got 15 minutes of rushed decisions. They just ran out of money and you could tell. They got to the most interesting part of the story where you have all these possibilities for plot twists and how you keep or break your promises, but they didn't do any of it. THAT was what made it an absolute disappointment. I'm renting the next one. If it's a single player RPG focused on story then I WANT MORE STORY. Period.
I didn't get that far, it was far too "go here, do this for villager A, lather, rinse, repeat" for my liking. I got bored quite quickly. I really enjoyed Fable II and really wanted to like III, but when I started spending my time helping out villagers with menial tasks, I stopped playing. Not my kind of game to invest so much time into.
I completely agree, that part was asinine. But you must have ADHD pretty bad because that's only the first two or three missions of the game, and after that it's optional. I completely agree though, Peter Molyneux is fucking nuts for thinking that people want to play fetch quests for faceless generic NPCs.

GuitArchon

Jan 20, 2011
Mike West said:
"We're making a co-operative role-playing game - there aren't any co-operative role-playing games out there, we're the only one."
This isn't entirely accurate, I'm afraid. Back in the Nintendo Gamecube days, there was a turn-based RPG called 'Lord of the Rings: The 3rd Age' that had 2-player capabilities. Now, I'll at least praise Fable's co-op for being much better, since it's Real-Time and The 3rd Age had Turn-Based co-op (seriously, what's the point?).
But even besides that, you're clearly disregarding games like Gauntlet, Sword of Mana, X-Men Legends/Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, and Baldur's Gate. It begs the question "Just how many video games has Mr. West played?"

However, that's the only praise I will dole out for Fable's co-op. The game was easy enough without someone else helping you in combat and that was pretty much the only meaningful thing that your partner could do while playing. In the story mode, all the main characters would ignore your partner, even as (s)he ran around, waiting for the cutscene to end. Mr. West, it's not enough to simply be the only one offering a co-op RPG experience; it should also be meaningful and involving.

A good example of meaningful co-op is Dead Rising 2. While, yes, the 2nd player would not be addressed during cinematics, (s)he at least had the excuse of being omitted from the cutscene, so they couldn't mess around in the background out of boredom.
Anyway, the reason why Dead Rising 2 is a comparison is that it actually felt meaningful to have a partner. You and your 2nd player could multitask. For example, you could concentrate on distracting zombies while your partner led a few survivors towards an exit.

Sorry, Mr. West, but I'm afraid that Fable 3 was a severe step in the wrong direction overall. I say this as a gamer who actually liked Fable 2 and enjoyed playing it. I can't say the same about Fable 3.

GuitArchon

Jan 20, 2011
Azaraxzealot said:
Fr said:
anc[is]Summary: "Nuh uh! It is good! You're all poo poo heads!"

Greg Tito said:
We're making a co-operative role-playing game
Oh ho ho that slaps me on the knee
and thus the internet once again takes the "i'm da shmart one! look at me being reashonable!" when in reality, you're little more than a troll.

reminds me of that song from Peter Pan... how'd it go?

just so you know (everyone i quoted) i'm not flaming either of you, this is a criticism of the internet and its attitude when people say "my game IS good! you don't understand!"
Ok. I think you're being too kind here to the developer. You're not INcorrect in your assessment, but there are a few things that bug me.
Azaraxzealot said:
and i know it feels good to pick on the big developer who seems to be whining like a baby, but think about it...
think about every school project you ever did that you got flunked on and you thought you put a LOT of effort into it.
think about all the creative things you spent weeks working on just for someone to say "that sucks"
every time you put effort into anything, just to have people throw it back in your face.

now multiply those people by a few million. now multiply the hatred by a number exponentially higher than that. and make sure you take into account the amount of hours that went into making it.]
Ok, why are you assuming that anyone who complains about this game is merely going with the popular opinion? I'll understand if this message was directed only at those who post with that mindset.
However, I have a HUGE problem with this argument: This wasn't Lionhead Studio's first Fable game. They've had 2 sequels to polish their product to be the shiniest gem it can be. You do this by conducting market research on those who played your video games in the past. You ask them what they did and did not like about their experience and what they would like to see in future installments. You then observe the most popular answers and take them into consideration when constructing the next game.

Continuing your analogy, it'd be like putting a lot of time and effort into a research paper only to receive a D+ or a C; passable, but not you would expect given your effort. Your next move should be to check the class syllabus and/or talk with the teacher to get a better understanding for what he/she is looking for in a research paper.
Instead, the comments that Mr. West is making sound like he turned in a paper that he expending a lot of work and passion into (which is great), but failed to take heed to the teacher's expectations for the paper. Once he gets his paper back, only to discover a C- or C+ on the front, he gets defensive about his paper by saying the teacher just didn't know what he/she wanted from the essay.

Azaraxzealot said:
they obviously put a lot of effort into it, and lionhead the closest thing to "independent" the AAA industry has these days since Peter Molyneux has full creative control over his games.
Ok, THIS comment is very uninformed. Independent studios are getting all sorts of attention these days, now more than ever, in fact. It's thanks to things like the iPhone App Store, Steam, and X-box Live Arcade/PlayStation Network made by indie studios. Things like Angry Birds, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and Braid are experiencing much greater commercial praise and success than they could have even 5 years ago.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
Yogscast are on their ep 5 of their playthrough on PC.
and are crippled by bugs. still, good game. sotry was a bit standard, and making friends requiring a fetch quest got a bit repetetive and boring.