Fable III Drops To $0 For Xbox Live Gold Subscribers

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Fable III Drops To $0 For Xbox Live Gold Subscribers

Those of you with Xbox Live Gold subscriptions can now download Fable III totally gratis, thanks to Microsoft's new "Games With Gold" initiative.

During Microsoft's E3 press conference the company announced that it would be swiping a page from Sony's playbook and offering those who subscribe to Xbox Live Gold a selection of free downloadable titles that initially debuted as $60 retail games. The first title in this effort is Fable III, and as of this very moment the Lionhead roleplaying game can be found on the Xbox Live Marketplace with a very attractive $0 price tag.

The only caveat here is that this particular leg of the promotion only lasts until June 30, so if you want to pick up Fable III for free, you'll need to do so within the next two weeks. Though the promo has a near-term expiration date, the game itself has no such thing, and once you've downloaded it for free, you own the title until such a time as you decide it's occupying too much space on your Xbox 360's hard drive.

In a big picture sense, the real story here isn't the free game, but is instead Microsoft's attempt to go head to head with Sony in this particular promotional realm. While it's always great for a company to offer consumers free stuff in an effort to generate good will, Microsoft has a long way to go before it's caught up with Sony's Instant Game Collection, which is a constantly revolving line up of some of the best PlayStation 3, Vita and PSP titles to have ever been released. We have to assume that Microsoft has more elaborate plans for the Games With Gold initiative, but that raises the question of what exactly the company would have to offer to tempt those without Xbox Live Gold subscriptions to sign up for one.

This is where you guys come in. The comments section is below. If you're not an Xbox Live Gold subscriber, tell us what could change that. Or, alternately, write a few hundred words about how much you hate Microsoft. Whichever option blows your skirt up.

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
Seems a bit expensive still, I don't know, can they lower the price a bit more - I might buy it then.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
It's an ok game. Like it's not setting the world on fire anything and there are tons of minor issues and why am I now beginning to download this? No I've completed this game I don't need to

ooooh John Cleese.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Downloading it now on the boyfriend's account (hey, I had fun with it, plus I no longer have my hard copy thanks to my piece of shit brother). And hey, it's free, so why not?

Gonna take a while to download though, been at it for a few hours, and it's at 13%.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Revolving? Aren't all previous PS+ special offered games always free?

Joabbuac

Feb 23, 2010
Time to grab a trial account?

Although im not sure if its even worth the effort for Fable 3...

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
weirdguy said:
Only if you added them to your account by 'purchasing' them while they were free. If you did that, you can get them again in the future (as long as you have PS+(I think?)) but if you get PS+ today you won't be able to get all games ever offered, only this month's.

At least, that's how I understand the system to work.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
You know those cliche movie scenes where two stores will keep reducing their prices to compete with each other up to the point where they're paying customers for their products? Well, I don't use my xbox anymore, nor am I very big fan of my ps3, but I'm finding all of this very amusing

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Having played the PC version... ..don't bother.

Also, charity begging adverts in the Capcha now? Seriously?

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Huh... you'd think they would have picked a... better... game to kickstart this program. I think I'll pass.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Falterfire said:
weirdguy said:
Only if you added them to your account by 'purchasing' them while they were free. If you did that, you can get them again in the future (as long as you have PS+(I think?)) but if you get PS+ today you won't be able to get all games ever offered, only this month's.

ah okay, so like other free offers from downloadable services. makes sense

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Falterfire said:
weirdguy said:

Yeah, that's right.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Falterfire said:
weirdguy said:

Yeah pretty much. I downloaded 7 free games this month
Demon souls
Infamous 2
Uncharted 3
Ico
Shadow of the collosass
Catherine
And little big planet karting... Just coz I could.
Forgot to get deus ex before the new deals started which was a kick in the nuts.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Aaaaaand the anti-Fable 3 bile comes a-spewin'!

The game was disappointing, but competent and decently fun. It's not a bad title to offer for free. I'll chalk this one up as a rare Microsoft win.

That said, I don't have an Xbox, so...

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I didn't imagine I'd ever bother to pick it up since it's been a long time and I'd pretty much forgotten about it, but you can't argue with free. Good times.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Fable 3....great. I've already played that.

With only one game released so far under this scheme, it is of course way too early to see a pattern, but what's the bet if the next game to be given away is also from a Microsoft Studios developer?

Anyway, even if I didn't have this game already, it's unlikely I'd go for it now as it wouldn't fit on the piddly 20GB HDD I have for my 360. Seeing that it's the original model the shops don't stock the old style drives anymore and I won't be putting that much effort into finding one this late in the current generation anyway.