Facebook CEO: People Who Trust Me Are "Dumb F*cks"

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
And this is precisely why I hate Facebook. Not because it's a 'social networking' site, i.e., means to get false friends, but because it's a gorram cult, and this guy's the cult leader.

Andy Chalk said:
The thing I've never really understood, speaking of irony, is that if people want to keep shit private, why are they putting it on Facebook in the first place? Or anywhere on the internet, for that matter?

Maybe I'm too old to be hip to "nu-privacy," but it seems to me that if you want to keep something to yourself, you keep it to yourself.
Because Facebook is one of many ways people try to 'artificially' improve their life. They think that if they use Facebook they're putting themselves out there, they can make friends, but the reality is you just get sucked in to an insipid mutual-ego-stroking game with regular FarmVille breaks. The more info Facebook users put out there, the more they're doing, in their minds, to try and make new friends and thus improve their life without actually doing anything.

Apr 28, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
The thing I've never really understood, speaking of irony, is that if people want to keep shit private, why are they putting it on Facebook in the first place? Or anywhere on the internet, for that matter?

Maybe I'm too old to be hip to "nu-privacy," but it seems to me that if you want to keep something to yourself, you keep it to yourself.
I have a theory, and it goes something like this:

I'll use 2 people, lets call them "Bob" and "Ted."

-------------------------------------------------
Bob: "Hey, your on Facebook? Why don't you update your profile with your birthday and stuff like that?"
Tim: "I want to keep my life to myself. Its about privacy."
Bob: "If you want privacy, why did you join facebook?"
Tim: "Because I want other people to see me keep my life to myself."

Thats my thought on the matter.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Matt_LRR said:
And with that, so is all my information deleted from facebook.

-m
What makes you think because you delete it, they don't keep it backed up for a few months? What makes you think they even care.

The guys young and said a stupid thing in a passing comment. I don't care too much if he think's I'm dumb for him having my email address and some pictures. Google get alot more info out of me than he ever will.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I don't really care if he has my information.It's not like he can do anything that would destroy my life with it.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Beltom1066 said:
"Pulls out bucket of popcorn"
Who wants to join me in watching the train wreck that occurs because of this? Anyone here heard of Gerald Ratner? He owned a massive jewellery company and when asked how he sold so much merchandise so cheaply he said jokingly "Because it's crap". His business went bankrupt soon after. The first rule of a good business is NEVER insult you're customers, jokingly or not.
Oh oh me! I will, I love train wrecks and popcorn!!!

Also he's the Dumb fuck obviously

WitherVoice

Sep 17, 2008
The rule is: never bloody put anything on the internet that you can't handle the world knowing. Everyone should know this, the man has brought nothing new to the table. There's nothing shocking about this.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Irridium said:
Andy Chalk said:

I have a theory, and it goes something like this:

I'll use 2 people, lets call them "Bob" and "Ted."

Bob: "Hey, your on Facebook? Why don't you update your profile with your birthday and stuff like that?"
Tim: "I want to keep my life to myself. Its about privacy."
Bob: "If you want privacy, why did you join facebook?"
Tim: "Because I want other people to see me keep my life to myself."

Thats my thought on the matter.
Yeah, pretty much this. I've kept most of my stuff to myself on FB, except my current city and university, which isn't really something I want to keep anybody from knowing. Of course I've known people who posted their phone numbers and addresses, in addition to birthdays, full names, etc. Still, I find this rather unsettling. What would happen if you were to use your credit card on FB, and the head prick is equally eager to give out that information? I think I'll permanently delete my FB, too great a risk for too little a reward. If people want to stay in touch with my, I've got a cell phone and email, so who needs FB?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
AnarchistAbe said:
Lol, he called his users the "Dumb ****s".
That's one way to endear oneself to millions of people who use his site.

OT: Maybe this is why Facebook automatically resets its privacy settings to public everything every time there is an update. In any case, I'm going to be more careful about what I post on FB.

Frenger

May 31, 2009
Great to have a sociopath with his paws on information about millions of users :)

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Meh, I've never really liked the whole Facebook concept anyway. I figure that if I can't contact a friend with a quick e-mail or phone call then they're not worth contacting.

I wonder who leaked this curious exchange.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
I think I like the guy.

Nevertheless...
Andy Chalk said:

Yeah. You would have to be some kind of fucking idiot to post private things anywhere if you want to keep it private.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
Never joined Facebook, Myspace, Bebo, anything like that because of this kind of thing.

There's already enough way's for people to find out your info, but putting it up on a stupid web page is just begging to be abused.

Maybe i'm just paranoid, but meh, prefer to be paranoid then blackmailed.

Feb 18, 2009
Let's be honest, this is going to make zero difference with most of the people on facebook, me included. I just remember I'm never going to be important enough to stalk and all my worries fly away. And I'm not stupid enough to put anything important on there.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I never used Facebook or any type of "social service".

Infact, I am growing increasingly annoyed with how scarce privacy options tend to be with any sort of service on the internet. Friends are awesome and being able to easily connect with them is also awesome . But sometimes, I just want to be able to check or do something without being disturbed by anybody, including those I love talking to otherwise.

Simply put, people sometimes need some time for themselves even from their friends and even on the internet. Yet, I get the feeling nobody who manages such services ever gets that point.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
Now I'm glad that facebook I got for god knows what reason has nothing on it.

Anyway, the guy sounds like a male genital, so I think I'll stay sway from the site in fear of getting qaudteamed by /B/, Zynga, Scamers, and now the company itself.