Facebook Friends Bomb Each Other in Zynga's Empires & Allies

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Facebook Friends Bomb Each Other in Zynga's Empires & Allies

Zynga's latest Facebook game gives players strategic control over their own armies.

Zynga is now trying its hand at the strategy genre with a Facebook title called Empires & Allies. The game has players running their own island nation, building an army, and protecting themselves from an evil tyrant called "The Raven."

Unlike Zynga games such as FarmVille and FishVille, Empires & Allies is a story-based game. It even has an opening cutscene. The main goal is to figure out why Raven is being such a jerk and dropping bombs on top of your citizens.

Empires & Allies also differentiates itself with some of its new concepts. Players construct buildings such as barracks, and then build units like soldiers and tanks. These units are deployed in an animated combat system with players targeting their foes. In the long-run, players will need to use strategy to defeat opposing armies by building a strong troop that can take on varying types of attackers. Artillery is good against tanks, tanks are strong against soldiers, etc.

Also unlike FarmVille, players of Empires & Allies can actually attack their friends for Infamy. Recruiting friends to your side and helping their empires to earn Honor might be smarter, but if you're a jerk, go for it.

I'm happy that Zynga is trying new genres, but keep in mind that Empires & Allies is still very much a Zynga title. Players will find themselves waiting out timers during play and needing to refill their energy points to perform more actions before long. That's the formula that Zynga and many other free-to-play companies use, which is totally fine, just don't expect a total revolution here despite some fun new additions.

Empires & Allies can be found here [http://apps.facebook.com/empiresandallies]

standokan

May 28, 2009
And once again I feel blessed for not having a Facebook account, this way I'm safe for all that virtual crack that Zynga makes.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
if this does not include a crossover mode where i can use strategic firebombing to raze the virtual farms of ppl who asked me one too many times to help harvest their stupid farmville crops, i'm not interested...

/rant

seriously, i'm not sure how well this will work. I mean, isn't the casual market supposed to be approaching saturation anyway?

EDIT: eyepatch chick is seriously creepy...

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Played it for a while. It's like Cityville, only you also blow shit up in JRPG combat fashion. Pretty cool mix, for a Zynga game. Bookmarked.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
standokan said:
And once again I feel blessed for not having a Facebook account, this way I'm safe for all that virtual crack that Zynga makes.
They're cute, it's almost like they're trying to make an actual videogame. Almost.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Lol the opening "cutscene" has the islands from treasure island. But the overall graphics are like Cityville. But more fun. So far not their worst game

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
Does the Tyrant scream "Nevermore"?

Also you get your own island nation... "Become your own Communist Leader today!: Sponser rum and cigars, agree to participate with Russians, lose relations with the US; you can do this and more on Empires and Allies!"

It all makes sense now with Zynga's social games. They are making Mini-Castro's on Facebook.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
Wonderful to hear that Zynga is getting into the swing of things. Nice to see different genre's, and I think we'll see more from them.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Now this is a game that sounds fun. Nice to see Zynga finally trying new things.

I won't ever play it, though. I ain't about to step into Facebook or anything like it.

Indignation837

Apr 11, 2010
It still suffers from the Zynga effect where you have to wait on timers and send friends invitations to advance, but I really like that it lets you choose to either help or attack your neighbors, and the JRPG style combat isn't bad either.

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
I know I shouldn't but..... so very tempting to try.

Although I know if I try it I'll get sucked into it for a few weeks then realise I havn't eaten or slept in that time because of Zynga's virtual heroin.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Y'know what, I'm actually enjoying this game. I'd probably prefer it if there wasn't such an irritating energy bar. In fact, there shouldn't even be an energy bar. But, anyhow, the game is pretty good. I haven't gotten round to invading my friends yet, purely because trying to get people to play Zynga games with you is like trying to get them to give you money to take off your clothes.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
As a proud member of the ABZ Militia... I shall not play this game based on principle (that and the fact I'm really not big on RTS games). But give Zynga props for having the balls to actually trying something new, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be any good.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Shame I don't have any facebook friends. Or facebook. Or friends...:foreveralone: