Facebook is advertising video game piracy, have standards really sunk so low?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
It sounds like this site uses either games that have either lost it's copyright (there are WAY more old games on here and only a handful of PS1/Gamecube era games) or maybe they have some kind of deal with certain companies.
Do you really think Nintendo is going to let Zelda titles expire, or some random website distribute ROMs? They have Zelda and Mario.

CapriciousEntity said:
PS: If this post has inadvertently caused you to crave Zelda/Final Fantasy/other retro game, could I recommend checking out Nintendo's virtual console/ Sony's PSN Store/other official store.
You could, but it's probably smarter just not to advertise something you're against. That's what you're doing. Generating them more traffic and creating more interest. I know that's not your intent, but it's the result.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Spartan1362 said:
I think the primary mistake that this thread makes is assuming that Facebook had any standards in the first place.
Heh. Yeah. they let me join. How high could their standards be?

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
I know people in affiliate marketing, the people that take the commissions for getting ads on Facebook.

It's a pretty lawless area, they don't care what the product is selling and Facebook doesn't really care what's advertised, it brings in cash regardless.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
CapriciousEntity said:
Imagine if a TV channel started advertising piracy/other illegal activity and we had the same 'they shouldn't need to check what they are doing' mentality.
Actually, there was a TV channel (don't know if it still exists) called "Free Speech TV". It was basically shows about the constitution of the U.S., how to peacefully protest, etc. However, they ran a 20 minute infomercial one time advertising a "gun" that could print out barcodes (UPC), and they were showing how to print a UPC for generic food and placing it over the name brand UPC, paying the cheaper price. It blew my mind. They showed video of someone doing it in a grocery store, and nonchalantly acting like this was a totally cool and legal thing to do and that you should get in on the money-saving craze. I know that's not a major network example, but surely there's a lot of people who will look the other way if the ad money's good.

Dahni

Lemon Meringue Tie
Aug 18, 2009
Emeight said:
I was under the impression that Facebook serves up most ads based on your Google searches?
I can't say I fully believe that because I've had some mental adverts before such as Jewish and Muslim dating sites (I have never used or even searched for a dating site in my life). The only link I could think of for that is the fact that I've read up on Judaism and Islam. I reckon it's very loosely based on searches, hence why if you're a fan of Zelda/Final Fantasy and have googled it, there's every chance links like that could come up.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Do ROMs actually count as piracy? I mean, it's not like you can buy it new. Squeenix won't get money for it either way.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
JasonKaotic said:
Do ROMs actually count as piracy? I mean, it's not like you can buy it new. Squeenix won't get money for it either way.
Yes. It's still breaching the copyright, whether you can by them or not is irrelevant to that fact.

Copyright law is fun like this.

Apr 5, 2008
Corporate America is as inconsistent as it is hypocritical. Mega Upload was raided and taken offline, despite being used by many US Gvmt officials. Then you have Google, the undisputed King of search engines, with which one can find absolutely anything on the Internet by simply searching for it and adding the word "rapidshare" onto the end. Both "legal" services, yet overlooked by the Feds for whatever reason.

FB will take money from anyone and advertise anything without question. They don't arbitrate what is and isn't legal. As for their ads, they have so much of your personal information they can offer advertisers an unprecedented ability to reach a specific target demographic. Want to advertise to 30-40 y/o women who like Twilight? Want to target 15-21 y/o boys who like Nike trainers? Want to target fans of a band, TV show or film? They can target you by any combination of gender, sexual preference, polical.religious belief, "Likes", relationship status, etc. Advertisers can give FB any criteria they want and FB delivers ads to just those people. Assuming they aren't using FF and AB+ of course :-D

As for ROMs...here is another way to consider their legality. If you downloaded, uploaded and distributed a ROM of Supercars II for the Amiga, will anyone care or make an effort to stop you? If instead, you uploaded a Nintendo 3DS game will people pay more attention? According to various laws in various countries, usually ROMs come under the banner of illegal. However I don't know of a single case where anyone was pursued for sharing abandonware. Titles that might still make money (f.ex, "Classic" games re-released digitally on PSN/XBL) are usually a different story.

CapriciousEntity

Oct 31, 2012
JasonKaotic said:
I guess that is the case for abandonware (software that the companies no longer provide), but that is not the situation for many of the most popular ROMs (and particularly the ones that they are advertising). Nintendo's online store still sells many of the popular NES,SNES,N64 games and Square recently started selling their FFVII PC port through their online store (and it was already on PSN). While their are plenty of retro games where the companies wouldn't get the money anyway, that isn't always the case.

Acrisius said:
Geez, you really have nothing better to do than play white knight and "contact Nintendo and Facebook" while also "trying" to contact Square..? How much are these companies paying you to sit on that high horse and police the interwebz? Because if it's anything near the amount of ZERO, I really don't understand why the hell you bother...and why you're more concerned about those multi-billion dollar international corporations than you are concerned about the gullible poor facebook user who is likely to fall for a scam? I find it hard to sympathize with you or your opinion, it just comes off as the usual bullshitty "anti-piracy, corporate fanboy" who likes to wave a flag that says "Moral high ground" at people who think or do things differently.
While I respect your right to disagree, this seems like more of a personal attack against me rather than something that contributes to the nature of the thread. Anyway, I wouldn't consider myself to be a "corporate fanboy", quite the opposite in fact! (though you do have me on being anti-piracy) I hate when gaming companies do disc-locked DLC, delay regional releases or other anti-customer activities, but I also hate it when any other type of company puts making a profit above treating their customers right.
In this case, we have Facebook deciding that it would be more profitable to not monitor what type of content they promote. While I don't believe that they could be expected to monitor all of the content on their website (much like it would be impractical for google to monitor all youtube activity), I question whether we should hold those same standards when they are accepting money from a very finite number of people. As you said, these are multi-billion dollar companies, so why can't facebook afford to pay people to check who they are entering business deals with to promote their products apart from the fact that it might cost them a little bit of cash. They value this bit of extra cash above their users.
Imagine if a user sees this ad and doesn't know think that their could be anything illegal about it as it is promoted on a legitimate website, go to the site and download a game. They have now committed copyright infringement and (as unlikely as it may be) they could potentially get in trouble for it. While you could argue the same could happen by a google search, I believe (though others may not) that by accepting money to promote it, Facebook is partially responsible. To me at least, that seems like a topic worthy of discussion and debate as to the validity of that viewpoint.

Once again, I respect your opinion and your right to disagree, but I don't believe that I am a corporate fanboy, I just don't want to see ANY company acting poorly by conducting itself without respecting the rights of others.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Low standards? Maybe. Lower than straight up selling your personal information (what FB does already)? No.

killemore

Nov 2, 2012
Now you see, I thought that the facebook ads were based off of adsense. In that case it would mean that someone on your computer or network was actively searching for something similar. As for the whole piracy debate, you could spend months maybe even years reading up all the bs propoganda from both sides of that one. It does make for an interesting debate, albeit a short lived one in a place like this where most of us are only replying because it's an unusual thread. Just saying.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Emeight said:
I was under the impression that Facebook serves up most ads based on your Google searches?

Excuse me, I have some people to talk to.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Meaning of Karma said:
JasonKaotic said:
The availability of the product means jack shit, because piracy is copyright infringement.

But you already knew that last part, right?
Do you really believe that?

Can you honestly compare downloading a release on day one to downloading a ROM that has been out of print for years?

Perhaps the law does not, but from a moral standpoint it certainly is an ocean or two between them.

CapriciousEntity

Oct 31, 2012
To the people saying that the ads are tailored for you based on your web history, that is correct. I often go to gaming sites and talk about gaming on facebook, but obviously not ones about piracy, so I'd imagine that most people who frequently go to gaming sites would see these piracy ads, whether they themselves pirate or not.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Strazdas said:
DoPo said:
MrDeckard said:
3) Pretty sure those ads are just dummy links to scam sites.
Except it lists a real working URL.
you dont know how dummy redirecting scams work do you?
I find it really funny that you're talking about what I do or do not know, considering you don't know if that's a scam or not, either.

Or do you have any more information you neglected to mention?