Facebook Reveals Most Shared Stories of 2011

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Facebook Reveals Most Shared Stories of 2011

Facebook's 40 most-shared articles of 2011 includes some dog tales, a couple of stories about Steve Jobs and plenty of advice for parents.

The end of the year is coming and that means it's time to get ready for the flood of "best of" lists that inevitably accompany the turning of the calendar. First out of the gate: the 40 most-shared articles on Facebook for 2011, most of which - big surprise - aren't big news stories but "parenting-related topics, human interest pieces and odd trivia stories."

A few favorites: "Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior [http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/13/no-your-zodiac-sign-hasnt-changed/]," a Wall Street Journal piece extolling the virtues of "motivating" your children by calling them lazy, cowardly, self-indulgent and pathetic, which made it to 14.

Parenting and related articles dominate the list but Steve Jobs gets a couple of mentions, as do tales about the loyalty of dogs and a few random uplifting videos. Topping the list is a collection of satellite photos of Japan, taken before and after the earthquake and tsunami that devastated the country.

The list is based on stories that were shared either with a Facebook button at the original story source or through Facebook's own news feed and user walls. I'm a little disappointed and, quite frankly, surprised that condescending tales of stupid people doing stupid things aren't more well-represented, but they probably rate their own, much bigger list anyway. Which stories did you share this year - or which do you think should have been shared more?

Source: Inside Facebook [http://www.insidefacebook.com/2011/11/29/facebook-reveals-most-shared-articles-in-2011/]

the spud

May 2, 2011
I actually very rarely share stories on Facebook, except for perhaps a few Cracked articles.

Although it certainly doesn't surprise me that the most popular stories were of a more trivial nature than one might expect.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior... that article was really, really twisted.

The sad thing is, some of what she's saying wouldn't be so bad if she'd just tone it the fuck down. Not letting them pursue instruments other than violin or piano? What's the point in that? And why is drama all of a sudden not a respectable thing to do? You're saying people can't be successful if they go into theater?

Blah. Getting off topic, I suppose. I did like the 'Permissive Parents: Curb Your Brats' one.