Facebook Rolls Out Auto-Playing Video Ads

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Facebook Rolls Out Auto-Playing Video Ads

The 15-second video advertisements are being gradually introduced into Facebook news feeds.

There are few things on the internet I loathe more than video ads that play automatically. You've got 17 tabs open in Firefox, you're browsing the web like a maestro, and suddenly, BOOM, music starts playing and some guy starts talking about cheaper car insurance or erectile dysfunction or fixed-rate home loans, and after you've recovered from the heart-jarring startle you get to scroll through page after page, scrambling to find the offending ad so you can shut it up - all because some metrics-calculating bozo managed to convince the world that that's brand engagement, baby!

To Facebook's credit, it's not going quite that far just yet: It's begun introducing auto-playing "Premium Video Ads" in its users' news feeds, but as Product Marketing Manager Susan Buckner explained in a blog post, they'll begin playing in silent mode and won't start making noise unless people click on them.

"Brands now have another way of engaging people on Facebook with compelling video experiences. We'll roll out Premium Video Ads slowly and monitor how people interact with them," Buckner wrote. "This limited introduction allows us to concentrate our efforts on a smaller number of advertisers with high-quality campaigns to create the best possible experience on Facebook."

I don't believe for a second that advertisements, in and of themselves, have anything to contribute to a positive online experience, but I do accept that this stuff costs money, and in lieu of subscriptions for everything, running ads is about the only way to scratch it up that anyone's come up with so far. So I won't begrudge Facebook its auto-playing ads, as long as Facebook is willing to keep them quiet enough that I can easily ignore them.

Facebook's premium video ads will begin appearing in news feeds over the next few months.

Source: Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/business/news/Premium-Video-Ads-on-Facebook]

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
There are few things on the internet I loathe more than video ads that play automatically. You've got 17 tabs open in Firefox, you're browsing the web like a maestro, and suddenly, BOOM, music starts playing and some guy starts talking about cheaper car insurance or erectile dysfunction or fixed-rate home loans, and after you've recovered from the heart-jarring startle you get to scroll through page after page, scrambling to find the offending ad so you can shut it up - all because some metrics-calculating bozo managed to convince the world that that's brand engagement, baby!
I understand exactly what you mean. I had a quite a few tabs open the other day, and then suddenly some shit about some celeb story starts blaring in the background. I check all the tabs, scrolling up and down, and finally find the auto-playing video ad lurking in Escapist.

OT: Fuck you Facebook.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
And because of this shit I have ad-block.
But don't worry, lovely folk at the Escapist, I give you money directly!
And you are so very nice to allow me to view the videos on my iphone as well!

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Really sick of facebook's shit. Still-ads were bad enough when first introduced, but now autoplaying shit? And timelines can stretch on for miles. *sigh*

I might make good on my threats to delete my profile if it wasn't the only way I could stay in touch with my relatives. *grumblegrumble*

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
RA92 said:
Andy Chalk said:
I understand exactly what you mean. I had a quite a few tabs open the other day, and then suddenly some shit about some celeb story starts blaring in the background. I check all the tabs, scrolling up and down, and finally find the auto-playing video ad lurking in Escapist.

OT: Fuck you Facebook.
Chrome added a little speaker icon to tabs so you can see which one the sound is coming from, hopefully every browser adopts it in time.

And yeah if anyone wondered why people get pissed off and install certain browser plugins this is a prime example as to why. Not only is it annoying and obnoxious it also eats up valuable data of which many people have a cap on still. Not everyone is lucky enough to have unlimited data yet.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Isn't this a little on the knuckle? Talking about bad adverts on sites and the number posts on the escapist that have been locked for talking about the ads ... remember those dragon age and mass effect half page pop ups with the invisible X?

Anyway, as long as they don't play sound I am ok with them. It's just when they ruin a video or song ... hell, even if I am sat in silence and they just start banging on.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
"Brands now have another way of engaging people on Facebook with compelling video experiences. We'll roll out Premium Video Ads slowly and monitor how people interact with them."

Are these people aliens? Do they think anyone is interested in the bollocks they're trying to sell? I'm glad I don't use the thing.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Ah, so the same kind of adverts that are here then? Oh joys.

Can't wait to hear about washing liquid 10 times in a row.

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
Ha! Enjoy your Adblock, facebook! Enjoy it even more than usual!

Oh, don't give me that look. I buy premium for Escapist and whatnot.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Please pay attention, Escapist staff! This is why I object to a number of the ads you put on here! I just want to point that out in case there was any confusion!

That aside, it makes me quite glad that I don't USE Facebook. But then, just wait for this to end up on something else I DO use...

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Kinda funny to read news about bad ads on the escapist but there is a solution for everything.
If the ads were less annoying and less malicious, people would have less reason to find a bypass for them.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Yeah, what kind of website would have loads of annoying ads like those obnoxious auto-playing videos? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
balfore said:
JenSeven said:
And because of this shit I have ad-block.
DeadMG said:
Guess I'm downloading Adblock.
You guys may want to read up on the code of conduct about advocating adblock. Stuff like this can get you a warning.
If youve been asked out of nowhere about your car insurance by a video ad as many times as i have, you would be sympathetic to them.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I get that a lot on Deviant Art actually. Really annoying because it causes everything else I'm doing to lock up for a moment so the video can buffer and stuff.
While we're on the subject, could the Escapist please get rid of the ads where all you have to do is roll over them and then they take up half the screen and start talking? Because that's really annoying too. I have to play dodgeball with my mouse sometimes while I'm browsing this site.