Facebook Rolls Out Auto-Playing Video Ads

Michael826

Aug 17, 2009
Like many have said before me, the irony of this article is delicious. I mean, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, anyone?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Neronium said:
Except you know, the word adblock itself is not what is against the rules at all. It's the avocation of using it that is against the rules.
I noticed a couple of people talking about using it, which I would think would count as advocacy. At least one is Pub Club and still not warned while others who are not Pub Club have been. That's kind of...Suspect.
That's the point I was getting at.

The people who've paid The Escapist are allowed to say they use [REDACTED], but no one else is allowed to.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
IceForce said:

The people who've paid The Escapist are allowed to say they use [REDACTED], but no one else is allowed to.
I think your use of the word [REDACTED] instead of Adblock is what muddied the waters. That's probably why he corrected you.

Probably.

canadamus_prime said:
And I shall continue to avoid Facebook like the plague.
You're probably better off with the plague. Unfortunately, I've got friends who only seem to keep in touch via social media.

I really need to break down and become a hermit.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
canadamus_prime said:
And I shall continue to avoid Facebook like the plague.
You're probably better off with the plague. Unfortunately, I've got friends who only seem to keep in touch via social media.

I really need to break down and become a hermit.
Except I'm fairly certain Facebook IS the plague. Twatter too.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
IceForce said:

I think your use of the word [REDACTED] instead of Adblock is what muddied the waters. That's probably why he corrected you.

Probably.
I guess.

At least if I never mention it by name, I can never get a warning for it (for advocating it or otherwise).

So it's basically like Voldemort.

Aug 1, 2010
I'll just go ahead and ignore the highly topical irony that has been pointed by so many others and instead comment on this silliness:

Andy Chalk said:
"Brands now have another way of engaging people on Facebook with compelling video experiences.
So now ads engage people with compelling experiences.

Holy fucking hell.

The level of disconnect this shows is just outstanding.

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
I forget, is this article about The Escapist or about Facebook?

I think the phrase is either "disgustingly hypocritical" or "deliciously ironic". One of the two, depending on your cynicism value.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
So they are finally catching up with the Escapist, then. A real pity that the only field the Escapist is beating Facebook in is in the obnoxiousness of their ads.

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
If only I could think of another website that uses auto-playing video ads when you're trying to watch a video or read a forum or an article.

It's on the tip of my tongue...

Nope. Stumped!

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
Neta said:
I forget, is this article about The Escapist or about Facebook?

I think the phrase is either "disgustingly hypocritical" or "deliciously ironic". One of the two, depending on your cynicism value.

Seriously, this close to having a massive kerfluffle about their own practices here(which are actually worse than those Facebook are adding), to the point where they end up in news on other sites for their hostility towards their own users(article already linked in this thread). Yeah, the disconnect is strong with this one.

Who in their right mind would authorize this article? I mean there should be someone with some responsibility who has enough tact and foresight to understand that this article is only going to rub salt in the wounds of your own community, like an editor or something. This article really serves to lampshade what your own site is doing.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
The escapist is calling out another website for invasive advertising? Oh look at this solvemedia captcha below this post.

This is like hitler calling the KKK racist. It might be true, but there's massive irony involved.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I'm a pub club member, I think you know my stance on adverts: "Get out of mah face!" also join the pub club so you can get rid of adverts and do other stuff.

I wonder how many casualties will be in this thread?

In short, dick move FB

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
I'm a pub club member, I think you know my stance on adverts: "Get out of mah face!" also join the pub club so you can get rid of adverts and do other stuff.

I wonder how many casualties will be in this thread?

In short, dick move FB
Probably less casualties than the Jimquisition thread.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Vegosiux said:
When I take over the world and crown myself supreme emperor, I'll make advertising illegal. That will of course cause all kinds of chaos, but that's OK; I'll just spend about 250 administrative points and it will be all good.
Do I smell a Europa Universalis reference?

OT: More reasons not to use facebook, as if I needed them. It's fine as an event planner, but I'll be damned if I use it as anything else. But doesn't FB give you the option to turn off ads in anyway?

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
There are few things on the internet I loathe more than video ads that play automatically.

And unlike Facebook, some of yours also sport unmutable audio.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Well I'm glad that Facebook is finally catching up to The Escapist.

Way to be ahead of the curve Alloy Digital!

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
So it's okay to discuss that [perfectly legal Firefox add-on] as long as you state in bold caps BUT IT'S OKAY BECAUSE I WHITELIST THE ESCAPIST, which is fine?

You can talk as much as you like about [doing the B-word] to the advertisements on any and every other website, but as soon as you mention doing that kind of thing on The Escapist, THEN it's very very naughty and you have to be punished?

How... odd.