Facebook to Get an FPS

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Facebook to Get an FPS

Move over, FishVille: One enterprising indie developer wants to bring casual FPS action to the massive Facebook games platform.

What's the first title that comes to mind when you think about Facebook games? Mafia Wars, perhaps? FishVille or FarmVille? Whatever the game, it's likely played via a simple point-and-click interface, with no fancy-graphics or l33t gaming skillz required.

At least one company wants to change that, though - indie developer 3G Studios has announced Brave Arms [http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=296147643486], "the first 'social shooter' for you and your friends to play and stay connected on Facebook." Players will be able to create their own in-game avatars and then compete against their friends, in what looks like a genuine browser-based 3D FPS.

"Our new title, Brave Arms, will bring First-Person Shooter games to the masses," says James Kosta, boss of the Reno, Nevada-based 3G, "It's about fast-paced action and either competing against or forming teams with your friends. We want people to feel empowered and to share in a real video game experience."

3G Studios has previously developed games like Jillian Michaels' Fitness Ultimatum 2009 for the Wii (probably not very relevant to the development of this game), SWAT: Target Liberty on the PSP (probably more relevant than Fitness Ultimatum), as well as iPhone games Zombeat and The Deep.

It's an interesting idea, melding "traditional" gaming with the massive casual gaming platform that is Facebook. Only time will tell if it'll pay off.

(CVG [http://worldsinmotion.biz/2010/02/3g_studios_releasing_social_sh.php])

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
I still don't trust Facebook, after that scandal with the people behind FarmVille. It's insane.

Feb 13, 2008
Just put Close Range [http://www.closerangegame.com/] on there, with your contact list drafted onto the graphics.

It would outsell FarmVille :)

Edit: You know, it really scares me when I think up these weird ideas and they already exist!!! [http://www.facebook.com/pages/Close-Range/146594480363]

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
If it's good, I might play it.

So long as it's not one of those stupid games with one-dimensional gameplay fleshed out in 3D.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Oh no, first Civilisation and this... Facebook is going to slowly take my life away from me, isn't it?

Oh God, here it comes... No, NO! Don't come any closer! NO! NOOO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo[small]ooooooooooooooooo[/small]

*gets dragged away into the abyss that is Facebook...*

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Looks like it'll take a while to load on my crappy connection. I'll stick to Diablo II thanks

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I like the idea of this. I can't bring myself to play games like FarmVille or Mafia Wars yet I have lots of friends who play these games. If Facebook actually had something fun I could play with all my friends then I would likely spend a lot of time on it. This FPS will probably fail but I like the concept.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
I've nothing against facebook as a medium for games, only the majority of games available. If there were something worth playing I'd certainly try it out.

tsu-money

Jul 27, 2009
I'm sure this will be a good stepping stone for people who have never played an FPS before. Perhaps this will get someone interested in other games on consoles and PCs.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Distorted Stu said:
It looks good! Shame facebook is broke atm, apperntly changing its layout or something.
i just pissed myself at your avatar XD i love it XD

OT: cool =D this could bring new people to the world of gaming =D

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
orangebandguy said:
I still don't trust Facebook, after that scandal with the people behind FarmVille. It's insane.
Yeah, it is.

But why? FB is a social website not a gaming tool /sigh

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
Simalacrum said:
Oh no, first Civilisation and this... Facebook is going to slowly take my life away from me, isn't it?

Oh God, here it comes... No, NO! Don't come any closer! NO! NOOO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo[small]ooooooooooooooooo[/small]

*gets dragged away into the abyss that is Facebook...*
Alas. Another brave soul swallowed up by Facebook. Not even /b/ 's attempts to DDOS attack it have slowed down this monster. We're all doomed.

But meh, I'll give it a go I guess.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I'm not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing, at this point-
with little browser games like farmville or Zuma, people typically lie to themselves about the fact that it makes them gamers.
With a 3d game like this on Facebook, people will inevitably start playing en masse, and you can't exactly say that "some terrible game like Halo or Grand theft Auto" is fun and not inheriently evil.

What will likely either happen is people will go and admit that video games aren't for bloodthirsty social outcasts, or they try to argue that it is somehow different from "hardcore" games.

Nevertheless, since this will be the first... Well, first first person shooter for a lotta people, we're facing a new wave of fanboys...
*sigh*