Faith Fighter Pulled Over Islamic Complaint

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Faith Fighter Pulled Over Islamic Complaint

Faith Fighter, a Mortal Kombat-style fighting game featuring deities like Jesus, Buddha and Ganesha has been pulled by Italian developer Organization of the Islamic Conference [http://www.molleindustria.org/].

The controversy started following a report by Metro.co.uk [http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?Calls_to_ban_online_game_of_Holy_hatred&in_article_id=635709&in_page_id=34] which called the game "deeply offensive and provocative," particularly to Muslims, whose religion prohibits images of the Prophet Muhammad. "This game is going out of its way to upset people and I think it should be taken off the internet," said Link Church Pastor Douglas Miller. "Playing violent video games will ultimately affect your behavior and this game is deeply offensive and provocative."

There's only one small problem: Faith Fighter was released well over a year ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/80903-Faith-Fighter-Offers-Resolution-to-Age-Old-Religious-Conflicts] and had cruised under mainstream radar until the Metro report broke. In fact, Molleindustria claimed that prior to the article the company had received only two letters of complaint about the game, from Catholic gamers. Faith Fighter is firmly tongue-in-cheek, opening with a message urging players to "reflect on how the religions and sacred representations are often instrumentally used to fuel or justify conflicts between nations and people." The character of Muhammad can even be censored to avoid depicting his face and thus causing offense.

Nonetheless, the Saudi-based Organization of the Islamic Conference accused the game of promoting "intolerance" and called for its removal. "When his attention was brought to an internet report posted by Metro.co.uk on an online game depicting holy figures such as Prophet Jesus and Prophet Muhammad (PBUT) fighting each other to the death, a spokesman of the OIC Islamophobia Observatory in Jeddah today expressed his concern stating that the computer game was incendiary in its content and offensive to Muslims and Christians," the OIC said in a statement [http://www.oic-oci.org/topic_detail.asp?t_id=2191]. "He said that the game would serve no other purpose than to incite intolerance. He called on the Internet service providers who are hosting the game to take immediate action by withdrawing it from the web."

"We suspect that people at OIC never played the game and only referred to the article on Metro UK that successfully manufactured this controversy," Molleindustria said on its website [http://www.molleindustria.org/faith-fighter]. "This phenomenon is related to the still marginal role of the medium: Commentators feel authorized to judge a game without playing it and just conforming to the common narrative depicting video game as violence generators (a narrative we tried to make fun of promoting Faith Fighter as a cathartic tool for religious hate)."

Faith Fighter was removed from the Molleindustria website as a result of the OIC complaint but the company noted that doing so was a "symbolic act," since the game has been out long enough that it's easily available elsewhere [http://www.molleindustria .org/faith-fighter-source]. "Hopefully this will help people to make their judgments by examining the actual work and not the sensationalist accounts spread by mass media," the studio said.

via: GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/04/28/following-islamic-protest-it039s-game-over-faith-fighter]

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Meh, looked like a fun game, although I would have to say the number of fighters available is disappointing, where are the gods of Olympus? Mayan and Aztec deities? The Egyptians deities as well? Damnit!!!!

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
cainx10a said:
Meh, looked like a fun game, although I would have to say the number of fighters available is disappointing, where are the gods of Olympus? Mayan and Aztec deities? The Egyptians deities as well? Damnit!!!!
The .FLA files are freely available and the original devs encourage fans to add their own deities.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Wow. Now all we need is for Bible Fight to get some major press, and Adult Swim will get their pants sued off. It's the only way I can see this ending...

Nimbus said:
cainx10a said:
The .FLA files are freely available and the original devs encourage fans to add their own deities.
Really? Well then, can't wait till a Pastafraterian gets his hands on it.

Jul 9, 2008
Malygris said:
"Playing violent video games will ultimately affect your behavior and this game is deeply offensive and provocative."
That's the part that particularly got me. Seems he's a against games first, (perceived) religious intolerance second.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
This is a game we most definitely do not need. It would spawn an infinitely more adamant fanbase of religious fucktards.

Edit: In the form of deity fanboys.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Cid SilverWing said:
This is a game we most definitely do not need. It would spawn an infinitely more adamant fanbase of religious fucktards.
Sorry Zeus just zapped Muhammad for 21000 K points of damage. Muhammad attempted to use his suicide belt and OMG, it's a double K.O!!! And what the hell, why did Jesus enter the arena ... is he ... YES , he is resurrecting the two combatants and .... wth .... hugging them both?

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Gormourn said:
All religions should shut the fuck up and stop trying to stop people from making fun of them.

Sorry if this offend anyone, but it's bad enough. Shit like this offends me. Remind me to eat pork and loudly talk about it next time I'm surrounded by Muslims.
You just made my day. XD

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Somebody tell me again why we keep giving in to the friggen muslims with a grudge againt the photo industry? It really does piss me off that these people hold so much sway over what we can and can't print.......hold on let me go find my picture of Osama and relabel it Muhammad so I can give them a long distance, self inflicted atmoic wedgie from it.

I'm all for religious tolerance and the like, but we shouldn't cave to a religion's demands simply because they've got the most crazies waiting in the wing. They need to learn to do what ever other religion has, SUCK IT UP AND DEAL WITH IT.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
Somebody tell me again why we keep giving in to the friggen camel jockies with a grudge againt the photo industry? It really does piss me off that these people hold so much sway over what we can and can't print.......hold on let me go find my picture of Osama and relabel it Muhammad so I can give them a long distance, self inflicted atmoic wedgie from it.

I'm all for religious tolerance and the like, but we shouldn't cave to a religion's demands simply because they've got the most crazies waiting in the wing. They need to learn to do what ever other religion has, SUCK IT UP AND DEAL WITH IT.
Tell me about it. I too am for religious tolerance and what not but this shit is getting old and it's getting old fast.

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
reminds me of religion top trumps http://newhumanist.org.uk/1915 but seriously how can anyone think were going to get away with it as always a up cry from those who take their religion very seriously.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
KeyMaster45 said:
Somebody tell me again why we keep giving in to the friggen camel jockies with a grudge againt the photo industry? It really does piss me off that these people hold so much sway over what we can and can't print.......hold on let me go find my picture of Osama and relabel it Muhammad so I can give them a long distance, self inflicted atmoic wedgie from it.

Surprised you werent diciplined for the "camel jockey" remark. I agree with your points though, why do religions attract the most uptight people? Lighten up already.
Actually using it was a rather lengthy thought process on my part, in the end I figured I was angry enough to use it. Though you are right, it is quite insensitive on my part, I'll change it.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Muslims are always whining and protesting something that the West says against it. Yet they routinely mock Christianity and other religions.

Hypocrites, thy names are Mohamedans.

sabotstarr

Sep 4, 2008
actually things like this may end up bringing more people over to said religion in the long run (VERY LONG RUN), and even if not, they should stop being so but sore about it. Laughter is the cure of all things so why don't they laugh about it and move on with converting the world.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Funny how the thread turned into a muslim-bashing thread, when even a Pastor was condemning the game for it's contents. Muslims aren't being given special favor (unless you mean those bombs we tend to drop on them).