Fake plastic instrument games...what the hell happened?

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
This topic came about in my mind when a couple of days ago the wife and I were looking for something co-op to play. Digging through the closet, we found the somewhat large box that housed 2 plastic guitars, a fake drum set, 3 microphones, and a keyboard of debatable fake-ness. So it was that we fired up Rock Band 3 and ended up playing until the sun came up. I had completely forgotten how much fun this kind of thing is, even by yourself.

The thing is, I don't know what relegated all this to the closet. I don't remember a day where I decided "this has gotten totally stale, let's put it away and pretty much forget about it." In fact, I'm not at all done with RB3. I'm in the market now for an Ion drum rocker, could still brush up on the keyboard, haven't played pro guitar/bass (though I do that in RL) and there's a myriad of DLC songs and internet leaderboards to conquer. I'm assuming that Activision spoiled it for everyone by pissing out eleventeen (holy shit that's a word) Guitar Hero games per year, and it's a shame. Rock Band 3 introduced so many awesome concepts including being in an actual band with actual instruments, and it seems that Activision drove the whole genre into the ground before Harmonix had a chance to show off the brilliance.

Anyway, do you folks still pull these games out now and then? Do you think over-saturation killed it for everyone? I never hear about the titles anymore, nothing is on the horizon...it's strange. Maybe everyone decided they love dancing more, and get their guitar kicks with Rocksmith?

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I still play Rock Band 3 fairly regularly (less so now, because I don't have space for it in my dorm room), and it still is a whole lot of fun. Especially with friends over.

At this point though, I really wish I had a version other than the Wii one. Most of the songs that I want to download are Rock Band Network songs, which aren't on the Wii version. Damn not having any other consoles when I got it. Oh well, Wii Rock band is better than no Rock Band.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Oversaturation was a part of it. Even ignoring Guitar Hero and its million releases, in one calendar year (November 2009 - October 2010) saw the releases of Beatles Rock Band, LEGO Rock Band, Green Day Rock Band, and Rock Band 3. In turn, Rock Band 3 had really poor sales, which was pretty much the nail in the coffin for the series.

I've actually been tempted to buy a real guitar to try out Rocksmith on Steam.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
My enjoyment and interest in Rock Band (2) quickly started to die once I graduated from college and was no longer around a bunch of friends pretty much 24/7.

Janus Vesta

Mar 25, 2008
The reason they failed was because they released multiple $60 games in the same year with minor variations, most of which required you to buy a peripheral, or multiple peripherals in the case of Rock Band. Then they released hundreds of songs for like $2 each. It becae a huge money pit and people decided it wasn't worth it. Sales quickly dried up and the entire genre collapsed.

Over-saturation kills.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well Activision released 20 in one year at full price no less and shockingly the sales came to a halt.
But really it's one of those Fighting/Sports/Karaoke party type games, once you have one it's all you ever need for the rest of your life, and you will really only play it drunk with mates.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I still have Rock Band 2 and play it a couple times a month during parties. Still one of my favourite games but I played it way too much a couple years ago to the point where I got pretty bored with it.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
My friends and I actually pulled out Rock Band 3 last week for a few hours. I think the main problem was over-saturation of the genre and the expense that came with that.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
The only reason I don't play mine as much is because my drums are ass now (the rubber has "bubbled up" and it screws up my bounce, which makes my wrists hurt.) and I've never been all that hot at guitar, so I gave up. I still play it occasionally, either when my sister shows up (she looooves that game) or when I come across a new PSN card.

As for why generally, well the above answers it better than I can. At the very least, they're still releasing DLC every now and then, plus the community is contributing, so it's not like there's no more content, just no more games.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Mr.K. said:
Well Activision released 20 in one year at full price no less and shockingly the sales came to a halt.
But really it's one of those Fighting/Sports/Karaoke party type games, once you have all you ever need for the rest of your life, and you will really only play it drunk with mates.
Yeah, pretty much this. Activision went nuts and milked the genre to death.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
I still play Rock Band 3 at least twice a week.

There are actually quite a few people still playing it online, but there is a problem with it. They're are only playing with the same 2-3 people online. It can take a long time to find a game of Rock Band, and even when you do you have to hope that they have some of the songs you do.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
One genre that could have been saved by DLC packs...

But yes, too many full priced installments in too short a time, turned each one into an abysmal failure. Then Activision decided to simply cut losses.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
Oversaturation was a part of it. Even ignoring Guitar Hero and its million releases, in one calendar year (November 2009 - October 2010) saw the releases of Beatles Rock Band, LEGO Rock Band, Green Day Rock Band, and Rock Band 3. In turn, Rock Band 3 had really poor sales, which was pretty much the nail in the coffin for the series.

I've actually been tempted to buy a real guitar to try out Rocksmith on Steam.
Yeah, we complain about Call of Duty, but this was crazy. While they weren't bad games people just got enough. Most of they new releases could have been replaced by more DLC and that would probably have worked out better since they could have gained a lot on song packs rather than making people buy new games.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I still break out RB3 whenever there's a party with a whole bunch of people... it's just not one of those games you play alone.

...I always told myself I was going to get a Squier controller and learn the guitar for realsies... but I never found that level of commitment.
I just don't have it in me to be a real musician... I've mastered a lot of different arts in my day, but this is just insane to me.
That's probably why I love listening to it so much. I have massive respect for anyone who can do this sort of thing.

I still kick ass on the plastic toy guitars, though... expert Hammer Smashed Face is not beyond me... though I don't have the sort of stage presence that some people [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua3hZXfNZOE] have. I'm more of a cold, clinical face-meltingly fast toy guitarist.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Over saturation, so many games and they barely change between them.

I kind of enjoyed those games but never enough to buy them. Rocksmith on the other hand looks preety cool since its more of a learning tool to actually play a real guitar.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
As a great man would say, what happened was:

Complete.

Global.

Oversaturation.

Nice one Activision! Singlehandedly killing an entire genre through spamming full price proper disc games instead of being rational and using DLC! That's a new low, even for you.

Wasn't it like 4 or 5 GH/BH/DJH games within the same year? So retarded. I thought Capcom releasing a few too many fighting games in too short a time span was a bit risky businesswise. Both cannibalisation and oversaturation of the market? Professional business practices right there.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Yup Activision milked it so hard the cow dried up and died, I occasionally still play Rock Band 2 with friends but thats rare as it takes quite a bit of effort to get a few people round and set the stuff up and people just want to drink instead so its more of a party game now.

I dont think the amount of DLC helped as well it was overwhelming felt like you were throwing money at a bottomless pit. I stopped buying after Rockband 2 because there were very few new songs I wanted to play either on new discs or in the DLC.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I stopped playing because I have tendinitis in my wrist and playing with the guitar really hurts it. And, as said, people stopped buying it because of oversaturation. Major oversaturation.