Fallout 3: A Different Kind of Treasure

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I find exploring the Capitol Wasteland great I think partly because there isnt that much super awsome phat lewt to find. Theres more to the rpg acronym than grindquests for +1 stat items. Though I suppose it boils down to if ur idea of a good rpg is Deus-Ex/Fallout or Dungeon Siege/Diablo

Blank Verse

Nov 17, 2008
While I too expected "Oblivion with a different coat of paint," my immersion and gameplay were uncomfortable for another reason. When you leave Vault 101, you don't have a class to roleplay from.

That drove me insane! After (role)playing in Oblivion for such a long time, I became dependent on developing my character through an archetypal view. Wizards, rogues, warriors, paladins etc. all had defining qualities which I would embellish and tweak as my adventures continued.

Fallout 3 doesn't quite have that ability. You can become a paladin or a ranger, but you don't actually label yourself with a custom-tailored story and profession. The game does that for you. It's not necessarily a crime but a factor which required my adaptation.

Even when I did adapt it was extremely difficult to roleplay anything but a scavenger. Good scavenger, bad scavenger, poor scavenger; you practically bark the same tune twice, whereas Oblivion was approachable as several different creatures.

That doesn't make Fallout 3 a bad game. Fallout 3 is an extraordinary game in my opinion. But I'm not playing it again.

DeleteMe1112311

Sep 18, 2008
Yet another problem with the loot, when you find unique weapons or armor, how the hell can you repair them? The repair system is in dire need of an overhaul as the power armor becomes less and less useful as you use it. You cant repair it yourself and instead need to invest around 700-1700 caps into a travelling merchant, find the merchant, and spend more caps to get it repaired! It makes the T-51b armor near-useless and many other weapons that are hard to find (Plasma rifle, sniper rifle, tesla armor, most power armor, etc.) near impossible to repair.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
*blushes* sigh.. sry Ms. Arendt. You have to forgive my unprofessional tone. It's just that I'm not used to editors actually READING what I write about their articles. It's like talking about someone not knowing they were listening to you from the other room...

But if I was to redeliver what I said knowing you were to read it, it'd be more along the lines of the poster below (I quoted it for convenience). Essentially, I DID find the wasteland inviting (apparently Yahtzee did as well). I think it might just be personal taste on this level, however, because I find myself drawn to dark environments usually in all cases, Fallout 3 aside [and Yahtzee hates all of mankind]. So personal bias finds a role in here I suppose..

I usually only find environments overly depressing when I'm in a situation where I CAN'T do anything. See the solution for Fallout 3 is to be up the wazoo Saint. By the end of the game, I was like Jesus (the game even portrayed an image of jesus next to my karma). Here's the ultimate anti-depressant: get strong enough to SAVE EVERYONE. Like, everyone. Maximum level, full loaded combat shotgun. Man...like when I took out the slave camp single-handed. Yeaup...I'm one of those weirdos that gets a 'kick' out of doing good things....my other friend gets a kick out of blowing up megaton like most normal people...

Their Quote: "And I also must disagree with your dislike of the aesthetic of the world of Fallout 3, Ms. Arendt. I think the Capital Wasteland is very beautiful in it's own way. The deserted suburbs, hills dotted with blasted, withered trees, and the faded glory of Washington, DC, are locales that I'm sure I'll visit time and again."

slimer

Nov 17, 2007
Do yourself a favour and play it with a mod. There are some cool mods that make the game challenging and you won't have to worry about PHAT LOOT becuase any stimpack or ammo you find is better than anything you can imagine!

It's a shame that games are so dumbed down these days. I blame it on consoles!

Varchld

is drunk and disorderly.
Nov 8, 2008
Some good points in the article there. I never really noticed but it's really quite distant from the Diablo style loot system.
There are occasional "improved" items like Lincoln's Repeater but not a whole lot of them.
It's understandable though, and they tried to do what they could to push it as close as possible without compromising the "reality" of the items.
Things such as having to repair your weapons and armour mean that you're not leaving hundreds of useless weapons littering the landscape, and then there are the crafted weapons (though I only built one of each and kept them in my house) which have you picking up scraps and keeping a lookout for certain things. Those treasure hunts for collectables and craftables didn't appeal to me, but it was good to have included.

Is there any more they could have done to increase itemisation in the game?

Dele

Oct 25, 2008
I found the same problem in Fallout 2, long dungeons with little rewards as I was already flooded with ammo and caps but interestingly that did not seem to be the case in Fallout 1.

FieryShadowFax

May 30, 2008
There are quite a few speciality weapons, the fat man, the knee-capper, old' reliable, Lincoln's repeater. But what you're saying is essentially true, although I enjoyed Fallout 3 more than I enjoyed oblivion (because i had a computer that I had to play it with minimum graphics and epic FPS lag) I still didn't &love* Fallout 3, and this is probably the reason :(

dead_beat_slacker

Dec 16, 2008
Well you gotta remember Fall Out isn't some enchanted world filled with magical creatures. It based off an alternate version of our world in the future. So just like in real life you're not gonna find enchanted items. This is a world where everything has been scavenged so there's gonna very little left for anybody. So looking for health and ammo makes alot of sense, it's about surviving. You gotta picture this game in a real world scenario.

goin-mad

Oct 24, 2008
You're in a Post Apocalyptic Wasteland . . .
This is not Oblivion with AK-47's. The whole premise behind the game is that resources are scarce and people are barely surviving. The so called "finer things in life" were left behind when water became irradiated and cockroaches became the size of coffee tables.

ccesarano, explore different areas. The subways are a blight of the middle of the game but then you get to very interesting levels later on. Like Vault-Tec HQ, Oasis, Paradise Falls, none of which are near the downtown ruins which (though rich in atmosphere) are pretty samey.
Every game is bound to repetition; Doom, Psychonauts, Tetris. But given your expressed preference I'd say you need to double your Ritalin intake to enjoy this game.
Mirror's Edge = lots of shiny objects
L4D y Gears 2 = ridiculous amount of enemies.

Don't blame you, I enjoy L4D as much as anyone. However, Fallout 3 is a different genre called RPG. Where a twitchy trigger finger can only take you to the door you need level 50 lockpick to get past.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Personally I thought interesting characters, a good plot, good voiceacting, a decent movement scheme and character models that didn't look like zombies was what the game lacked.

gtb08

Jan 6, 2009
I am saddened to discover that you feel that way about the loot, and I must disagree. The unique weapons and clothing items in fallout feel truly unique, as they are always as powerful as they are at any level, something that ruined oblivion for me. Maybe it's only good in the way that it feels awesome when something painful goes away, but I loved every dungeon I entered in fallout 3, they gave me something more to look for than gold and daedric armor, and looked different from each other in the process of doing so.

linked

Nov 10, 2007
I rather liked fallout 3, because it was set in a wasteland where a broken people were easily manipulated. For example, when you're in Seward square, you can convince some idiot to run into a minefield where he blows himself and some mad nutter up, thereby leaving you with safe passage.

Where else can you wipe an entire town of the face of the earth or enslave helpless children. Good times

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
Fallout 3: A Different Kind of Treasure

Susan Arendt has finally figured out why she didn't love Fallout 3 at first: It's missing one incredibly important element.

Read Full Article
I don't really get where you are coming from. This is not your average fantasy title, it's a peculiar reason not to like the game.

I don't see how, while playing, you didn't pick up that the games' genius lies in its consistency. It's a bleak post-apocalyptic society where living is a struggle and the constant threat of being killed either by mutated animals or radiated food and water weighs on every person's mind. The lack of resources make you feel and engage with the struggle of survival in the Capital Wasteland.

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
Now, "No Mutants Allowed"-style rambling aside, I found that there was actually even more "loot collection" in Fallout, with the unique weapons, which were mostly not a part of the original games, and yet, there was less satisfaction in collecting it. I felt (and still feel) impetus to collect everything I can carry in Fallout or Fallout 2, while with Fallout 3, there is simply too much dropped from enemies. I don't want to collect a dozen Leather Armours or more recently, Talon Combat Armours in one go, and the original Fallout games felt more realistic in the amount of equipment dropped. Yes, I realise that you don't have to repair weapons or armour in the original games, but there's still too much dropped from a single enemy in Fallout 3.
You do realise that to be realistic every kill should drop everything the person or mutant had on them right? That would mean that everybody in armour should drop armour etc. So even Fallout 3 is no where near realistic in what is dropped, still too few items...

Negativ Solution

Jun 26, 2008
I personally found that the loot gained from exploring the wastes was great for the setting, the idea of scavenging for survival, repairing your weapons and creating weapons and ammo from junk was fun imo. I'm presuming that was the point Bethesda had in mind, that the gameplay was focused on survival, where Oblivion was more like a traditional RPG. You cant exactly expect to find shiny new loot in a post nuclear war landscape. I am thankful that the caves and interiors are a bit more varied than those in Oblivion.

PS. I believe you can repair the T-51b armour with the prototype medic armour.

Powas

Dec 18, 2008
It's so strange that there are so many people who actually haven't played the original Fallout series. It's like beer compared to the piss version of Bethesda. I still remember when there was hope for Van Buren... Sad.