Fallout 3 Game of the Year

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Many apologies for making another pointless thread, but I was recently told that there would be a Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition with all of the DLC packed into it. It is only going to be 50 dollars for PC and I already have it for Xbox, so there's no reason to buy it for the Xbox again just for the DLC. I checked to see if my computer would run it. I used Can You Run It's website and it said that it would work on minimum but it doesn't make it to recommended. Will the game chug or look bad? I mean I want my game to look nice and not chug, but I think I could spare some graphics. I don't want to invest 50 bucks into this and my game to look like crap and have massive lag.

Just need to know from someone who has Fallout 3 on the PC.

Ciarang

Elite Member
Dec 4, 2008
From my experience I would play it safe, upgrade your computer, if you download it to test it out you're not gonna bother buying it

AbuFace

Jul 8, 2009
It's impossible to answer your question unless we know four key pieces of information about your computer:

1) What processor (CPU) do you have?
2) How much Memory (RAM) do you have?
3) What Graphics Card (GPU) do you have?
4) What resolution do you use on your monitor?

I'm assuming you're running Windows XP or Vista. Tell us if you're using something else.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Ciarang said:
From my experience I would play it safe, upgrade your computer, if you download it to test it out you're not gonna bother buying it
Wasn't planning on downloading it... my CPU is Pentium 4 and the only way to upgrade is by buying a whole new computer. I might get some cheap pieces that will work, but as of right now, I'm just wondering. I'm not made of money. In fact I'm very poor right now.

AbuFace said:
It's impossible to answer your question unless we know four key pieces of information about your computer:

1) What processor (CPU) do you have?
2) How much Memory (RAM) do you have?
3) What Graphics Card (GPU) do you have?
4) What resolution do you use on your monitor?

I'm assuming you're running Windows XP or Vista. Tell us if you're using something else.
1) Pentium 4
2) 1.2 GB
3) NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
4) I'm not sure how to figure that one out...

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Only thing I know that would be a problem is finding Nuka-Cola Quantum. If I remember right on the lower settings it would turn off the effect in the game that makes it glow blue which makes it look like normal Nuka-Cola. Would make one of the quests hard but that's all I know.

Ciarang

Elite Member
Dec 4, 2008
popdafoo said:
Ciarang said:
Wasn't planning on downloading it... my CPU is Pentium 4 and the only way to upgrade is by buying a whole new computer. I might get some cheap pieces that will work, but as of right now, I'm just wondering. I'm not made of money. In fact I'm very poor right now.
Hmm, thats a pretty annoying situation there =/, personally i'd just go out and buy the dlc's for the 360, but thats just me

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
It shouldn't look too bad....but it with chug in a few places and draw distance will be terrible.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Ciarang said:
Hmm, thats a pretty annoying situation there =/, personally i'd just go out and buy the dlc's for the 360, but thats just me
DLC for the 360 would cost as much as buying the GOTY with the DLC already installed...

Shadow Tyrant

Jun 18, 2008
Usually the "minimum" requirements mean "You can play this game at 8FPS on the lowest settings." Usually if you want to run a game at it's fullest, prettiest, etc you need to have above the recommended settings.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
1) Pentium 4
2) 1.2 GB
3) NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
4) I'm not sure how to figure that one out
1). Which version running at what speed, Fallout 3 works better with dual cores and will need a fairly decent CPU to get the best. On slower or over stressed CPU Fallout 3 has been known to lock it also used to lock up due to dual core threading instructions not working correctly when being run on single core chips. Saying that patches may have resolved that issue by now.

2). 1.2Gig? That's not right. Memory comes in 256, 512, 1gig and 2gig sticks. I cannot see how you would have 1.2Gig of memory? The closest you could come to that would involve some serious issues with mismatched RAM modules. Anyway safe to say you're running 1gig which won't be enough for XP and it sure won't be anywhere near enough for Vista. Most games from the last 2 or 3 years require at least 2Gig to run.

3). 8500GT will play it on low settings.

To be honest you're gonna be dis-appointed trying to run Fallout 3 on the rig you have. The game seems to punish you for not running it at the level your computer can manage. By that I mean most games you can add eye candy and maybe take the bit of stutter you get but Fallout 3 will hit you hard. I used to run it on high with AA and AT on an 8800GTX and the game would crash every time you used VATS. It would stutter to all hell and then lock up before CTD. Again they supposedly resolved this issue with a patch but I never got a chance to test that as I then started using a 260GTX to play.

AbuFace

Jul 8, 2009
Resolution can be found by right-clicking an empty space on your desktop then going to properties (windows xp) or screen resolution (vista). On xp, click the settings tab and the resolution in use will be displayed there. On vista, it should say your resolution right at that window. Don't worry too much about it though, as your system appears to be a bit on the weak side. You can definitely run the game if you're really intent on it, but you more than likely wouldn't be satisfied with the performance.