Fallout 3: I'm getting old

stevesan

Oct 31, 2006
Well, I guess it's official: I'm getting old. Seeing that Fallout 3 footage made me wanna punch the damn screen in nostalgic rage and shout, "YOU BASTARDS!!! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!" How dare they take my beloved Fallout and rip out its turn-based soul, replacing it with a cold and sterile quasi-real-time system!? How dare they replace the comforting isometric view with a blurry 3D view that might make me motion sick every time I turn too quickly??

I know, I know. All you kids out there love this new, modern stuff. Soon enough, gamers won't even know what a "pixel" is cuz they won't be able to see any on their super high-res HDTVs. And hey, that's OK! Go ahead and buy this game, rave about it, and enjoy it. Enjoy the fancy graphics and A.D.D.-proof combat systems. Honestly, that doesn't bother me at all. You won't find me standing outside the local GameStop yelling at kids as they walk out with their copy of Fallout 3.

So why am I getting riled up about this?

I guess it's just that seeing one of your favorite franchises change so much is like having an old friend forget who you are. Sure, it's not nearly as important as a friend or a family member, but it is nonetheless a stark reminder that the things I loved as a teenager probably don't love me enough to stay just the way they were. What can I say - I miss my teen years. And seeing things like this just makes it more and more clear that those are days gone by.

The world changes, trends and fads come and go. The times they are a changin' after all. Hell, we don't even expect our politicians to stay true to their principles - why expect anything more from entertainment? And it's probably for the better. I don't have time these days to kill hours upon hours, exploring the vast landscapes of post-nuclear Northern California. Those days are over for me - hopefully to be replaced by a better tomorrow!

So my message to all you young folks out there: cherish the experiences, friends, and - of course - video games you have now. Play and love Fallout 3. Cuz none of those things are gonna last forever. Don't be surprised if Gears of War 3 comes out and you find yourself thinking, "WHAT THE HELL!?!?! YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO AIM ANYMORE!! THAT'S BULLSHIT!"

:)

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Right...Well, no one likes change...or atleast, I don't. I'm okay with the new VATS (thats what its called, right) aiming system. I consider myself a hardcore gamer, but it seems more of a new gameplay mechanic than an auto-aim sort of thing. Plus its not mandatory.

of course, there is the threat that games could take this too far in the future, and I certainly do enjoy aiming my gun...

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Well, we all knew there would be at least one thread saying that the change in playing style has "killed" or "ruined" the series. I'm gonna say the same thing as I usually do, and suggest you wait til they've shown more. I know you've just spent 10 years waiting, so a few more months won't kill you.

GenHellspawn

Jan 1, 2008
Taxi Driver said:
As long as you can shoot rats in the nuts I will be ok. It seems to me you just want an expansion for the original, if you looking for a nostalgic feeling, sorry but that time has passed.
Can't. Groin and eye shots have been removed. I heard somewhere that they only want you to shoot body parts that have a visible effect when targeted. Obviously, shooting somebody in the balls has no visible effect.

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
you can build a gun, with a woodchipper and some other stuff, and its sort of like a cross between the vortex cannon and the gravity gun. When you are playing the game you can pick up garbage and crap and then put it in the gun and fire at people, so now you can kill people with teddy bears.

ReepNeep

Jan 21, 2008
I find I'm past the get off my lawn stage with this game. Even if it isn't a real fallout game I still enjoy the fpsrpg style and hope that Bethesda actually challenge themselves in the writing department for a change. (besides, if they actually ship an editor either I or those crazy NMA goons can fix most of whats wrong with it)

Will it be as good as the originals? Hell no. However, that is like expecting Square to make a Final Fantasy game thats better than VI was. Its just not going to happen. You can expect a fun way to kill some time.

EDIT
About the child killing, if they kept that in a game this graphically violent they may very well get an AO rating. I can understand why they aren't willing to risk that, in spite of the feature's absence. The greatest thing about the Fallout games was the feeling that you could literally do anything you wanted, and for the most part that was true because of the attention to detail and the flexibilities of the system and quest structure. The game's world was an ugly place and it was up to the player how much he wanted to participate in it. The child killing was emblematic of this, the absolute worst thing you could do in the game, something so taboo that I can only think of one other game that included the possibility. I hope this is the only concession to 'decency' they are making.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
I got depressed after reading through this. Not kid killing? Not nut shots? And Eye shots were the money killers. Deathclaws weak spot was right in the eyes.

Grr, I don't mind the 3D super duper change, but why does Bethsda have to butcher a good thing? If they don't keep the drugs like Jet, Buffout, etc, I'll be even more angry.

...Oh wait, it's not even comming to Australia. Damn.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
PurpleRain said:
I got depressed after reading through this. Not kid killing? Not nut shots? And Eye shots were the money killers. Deathclaws weak spot was right in the eyes.

Grr, I don't mind the 3D super duper change, but why does Bethsda have to butcher a good thing? If they don't keep the drugs like Jet, Buffout, etc, I'll be even more angry.

...Oh wait, it's not even comming to Australia. Damn.
not normally anyway

hahahhHAhAhAhAhhahHahahHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
i never played a fallout game before, but i didnt like this. That combat system seems wack. Whats the fun in choosing where you want to shoot. I'd rather try to get a headshot rather then pressing a button, pause the game, pick what body part i want to shoot, and fire away.
Is that mandatory? cause if it is, that sucks so much..

fierydemise

Mar 14, 2008
I've said it before and I'll say it again the worst choice Bethesda made with Fallout 3 is calling it Fallout 3. The Fallout games have a very specific aesthetic and atmosphere(which from what we know so far the people at Bethesda are only mildly familiar with). If Bethesda wanted to make Oblivion with Guns (which Fallout 3 is turning out to be) they shouldn't have picked a license that brought so much extra with it.

kiltmanfortywo

Jul 14, 2008
Hey man, change happens. If not, we would all be stuck playing pong until god knows when.

Don't let it get to you though, with out it, a franchise will die.

fierydemise

Mar 14, 2008
shaboinkin said:
i never played a fallout game before, but i didnt like this. That combat system seems wack. Whats the fun in choosing where you want to shoot. I'd rather try to get a headshot rather then pressing a button, pause the game, pick what body part i want to shoot, and fire away.
Is that mandatory? cause if it is, that sucks so much..
And here we see again the weakness of the Bethesda model, try so hard to please everyone you make a decidedly mediocre game at best and piss everyone off at worst.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Hmm, I thought they had a hybrid of pretty much everything everyone wanted.

fierydemise said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again the worst choice Bethesda made with Fallout 3 is calling it Fallout 3. The Fallout games have a very specific aesthetic and atmosphere(which from what we know so far the people at Bethesda are only mildly familiar with). If Bethesda wanted to make Oblivion with Guns (which Fallout 3 is turning out to be) they shouldn't have picked a license that brought so much extra with it.
Woah, I thought I was the only person who thought this way. Remember Fallout: Tactics? It was crap, did we make a big fuss about it? Not as much as we would have if it was called "Fallout 3".

Grey_Area

Jun 26, 2008
While I think it will be interesting to actually get down into the Fallout world and move around I have to say that not having the third person isometric turn based thing is going to be a wrench. Turn Based Gaming is a little loved genre even though there were some very good examples - thinking (of course) Fallout 1 and 2, but also X-Com UFO Defense and Betrayal at Krondor. Oh yes, and chess. Though I suck at that one, and how no one worked out adding plasma rifles to those little horses is beyond me.

hehe. I can just see those pawns getting sliced in half...

stevesan

Oct 31, 2006
Well thanks for all the replies. But I do wanna reiterate, the point of this post wasn't to rant about how much Fallout 3 will suck, but rather to explain why we old-timers (ie. those who loved Fallout 1/2) have so much inherent animosity towards it.

I'm sure Fallout 3 will be a fine game...but seeing something that you really enjoyed change so much, against your preferences, just hurts. And I think that's the real reason behind all the animosity. Change hurts, cuz it reminds you of how old you are.

KurtNiisan

Sep 25, 2007
I want to love it so bad and I will buy it, but I refuse to call it a continuation of the Fallout series. Not being able to kids and not being a top-down isometric RPG =/= Fallout.

J'aen

Jul 6, 2008
WAH! WAH! Bethesda don't do things identically to Interplay! And they're taking advantage of modern technology and techniques!