Fallout 3: I'm getting old

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
J'aen said:
WAH! WAH! Bethesda don't do things identically to Interplay! And they're taking advantage of modern technology and techniques!
I don't see how you can't relate to this, I don't see how anyone can't relate to this, I see sarcasm like this all the time but just imagine if Nintendo took over bungie and made Halo 3. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QA621bPU18]

Obviously some people will go "OMG WHAT I'VE ALWAYS WANTED" While the original fans will go in an uproar - we're not mad that Bethesda is making a game suitable for 2008, we're mad because they are fucking with the fallout series!

J'aen

Jul 6, 2008
You just admitted it's suitable. It's obvious that Bethesda are treating the actual story with respect. What's your problem?

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
J'aen said:
You just admitted it's suitable. It's obvious that Bethesda are treating the actual story with respect. What's your problem?
Our problem is that Bethsda made Oblvion which is as far from Fallout as anything can get. We loved Fallout 1 and 2 and are in such an inticipation over the 3rd, it's a shame that it has to be altered so. If you played the fiorst two you'll understand otherwise I'm just talking jibberish.

J'aen

Jul 6, 2008
You still explore a nuclear wasteland, fight mutants, and save your vault, right?

J'aen

Jul 6, 2008
Well, do you? Because as far as I can see, you do. As far as I can see, Bethesda have treated the franchise with the respect it deserves. They couldn't make an isometric RPG, not on a console, not in this day and age. They had to do it differently, and they decided to alter and improve the Elder Scrolls formula to fit the Fallout universe. I salute them for this, because it's just about the best course of action they could have taken.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
J'aen said:
Well, do you? Because as far as I can see, you do. As far as I can see, Bethesda have treated the franchise with the respect it deserves. They couldn't make an isometric RPG, not on a console, not in this day and age. They had to do it differently, and they decided to alter and improve the Elder Scrolls formula to fit the Fallout universe. I salute them for this, because it's just about the best course of action they could have taken.
But the thing is, in Fallout, you didn't have to save your vault/village. It was your quest but you could say bugger it, flip it off and walk into the sunset.

In Oblvion, there were certain people you couldn't kill, there were certain things you couldn't do, people leveled up with you. Fallout is the exact opposite. You can kill everyone. You could ruin the story set out for you. The game was basically made for you to play around with. You had enemies far greater then you that could eat you for lunch and others you could stomp on. You could basically talk your way through the game and not kill a single person.

So seeing Bethesda at the helm of a game that I and many fans adore feels like... well, what was mentioned above. Netendo taking over Halo 3.

Archaeology Hat

Nov 6, 2007
PurpleRain said:
J'aen said:
Our problem is that Bethsda made Oblvion which is as far from Fallout as anything can get. We loved Fallout 1 and 2 and are in such an inticipation over the 3rd, it's a shame that it has to be altered so. If you played the fiorst two you'll understand otherwise I'm just talking jibberish.
Bethesda also made Morrowind, which while having a fairly mediocre main story if you rush through the game is the most engagingly deep game I've played. And daggerfall, which was similarly deep, if deeply flawed at the same time (bugs bugs and more bugs).

Believe me, Elder Scrolls fans raised such a fuss over Oblivion being pretty mediocre that I doubt they'll do it again for Fallout.

On another topic did you see the Weekend Web of No Mutants Allowed on SomethingAwful? that made me laugh... alot.

Gildedtongue

Nov 9, 2007
While the 3D worldview, and semi-realtime turnbased gameplay is all well and good for me (worked in Fallout Tactics). I'm just really, really concerned that Bethesda, in its usual lack of foresight, will remove the diplomat quest choices completely, like all their previous games.

What made Fallout so fun was the amount of choice and freedom you had. Doing things through stealth, combat, or conversation made things much more interesting than "should I use a spear, or an axe?" Combat really should be just one choice in the matter. And overall, I haven't heard anything from Bethesda mentioning how many hours they spent on dialogue trees and the such, and considering that they claimed that Oblivion would have had diplomat-esque mission solutions, then later admitted that was totally a fabrication really is making me feel ill at ease.

Am I concerned about it because it effects me and how I play? Yeah, I guess so. Is the non/minimal-combative player in the minority? I'd say in the lower 1% thanks to D&D 3rd Ed +, yes. But, in the end, it made that conscious choice to being a killer with a minigun that much more satisfying. Having a choice to do so, rather than being pidgeonholed into it.

J'aen

Jul 6, 2008
Bethesda have said the levelling is halfway between Oblivion and traditional RPG. Some enemies level with you, but some stay the same throughout the game.

Besides, who says it's going to be identical to Oblivion anyway? If Valve did a Halo game for some reason, would you automatically assume it would be full of puzzles, crowbars, and cyborgs? Or would you actually give them a chance to do things differently before condemning them based on what they've done in the past?

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
The thing I'm really scared of is all the people who haven't played the first two and start playing the third will go 'cake-lie' crazy with the Pipboy jokes. While everyone's gagging themselves the real fans are already over it asleep in a gutter somewhere.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
J'aen said:
What the hell do I say to that? You played with my words and dodged the point, and then you say "What's your problem?"

Sorry man but I just don't like to feed trolls.

J'aen

Jul 6, 2008
And you change your argument every time I reply to a post. Does that make you a Troll as well? Because the definition keeps changing.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
stevesan said:
All you kids out there love this new, modern stuff. Soon enough, gamers won't even know what a "pixel" is cuz they won't be able to see any on their super high-res HDTVs. And hey, that's OK! Go ahead and buy this game, rave about it, and enjoy it. Enjoy the fancy graphics and A.D.D.-proof combat systems. Honestly, that doesn't bother me at all.
Uhh...okay?

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
I'm playing Fallout at the moment and the greatest part about it is the freedom. Aslong as Bethesda keep this freedom in Fallout 3 then I will be happy.

KurtNiisan

Sep 25, 2007
Fire Daemon said:
I'm playing Fallout at the moment and the greatest part about it is the freedom. Aslong as Bethesda keep this freedom in Fallout 3 then I will be happy.
And therein lies the problem; they probably won't.
PROVE ME WRONG, BETHESDA! I BEG YOU~!

KurtNiisan

Sep 25, 2007
J'aen said:
Go read an press release. ANY AT ALL. They just proved you wrong.
Press releases mean sweet-f*ck all until I have the game in my hands, playing (and seeing) it for myself. I barely ever believe anything I read.

I'm not saying that I'm not going to buy or play the game, I'm just prepared for the worst.