Fallout 3 Producer Responds to Fan Criticisms

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Fallout 3 Producer Responds to Fan Criticisms

Did you feel that the ending wasn't satisfying? Did you find yourself becoming bored at higher levels? Here are your answers.

Bethesda's post-apocalyptic RPG, common grievances [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5419-Review-Fallout-3] and laid them out to Fallout 3 executive producer Todd Howard.

Criticism the first is an odd one, being that when judged as a first-person shooter, Fallout 3 comes up short. Howard's response is curt and to the point: "Agreed." I hadn't heard of this one myself, as comparing Fallout 3 to Halo would be like comparing Grand Theft Auto IV to Gran Turismo. Just because you get to race cars in the two games, it doesn't mean that they should be held to the same standards.

The second criticism is one that a lot of players feel quite strongly about, which is that the ending isn't very satisfying and, when compared to previous Fallout titles, it doesn't quite stack up. "Based on the feedback I've seen, most people are pissed off that it ends, not the 'ending' itself," levels Howard. "That's another thing we're changing in ["Broken Steel," the third piece of downloadable content [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88554-New-Fallout-3-DLC-Increases-Level-Cap] due in March]. We really underestimated how many people would want to keep playing, so that's probably the last time we'll do something like that."

For those unaware, completing Fallout 3 renders your current game essentially useless as you can no longer continuing playing with that character unless you made sure to hold on to a previous save. Reversing this decision via downloadable content opens up a whole other can of worms, specifically for PlayStation 3 owners. While Xbox 360 players have downloadable content to look forward to and PC users can easily July 2008 [http://www.fileplanet.com/194884/190000/fileinfo/Fallout-3---Free-Play-Post-Main-Quest-Mod] that Fallout 3 DLC would not be made available for the PlayStation 3 edition of the game.

The final criticism is that V.A.T.S, the auto-targeting system found within the game, is boring once your accuracy rating makes for easy head shots later in the game. Howard responds, "Depends on what you find entertaining. I like to blow people's heads off, so, well, it never got old for me."

Agreed.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
As someone who relied pretty heavy on VATS when playing, getting all the VAT improvement perks was nothing but good for me \o/

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
Im pissed that Bethesda told us ps3 owners to fuck off and never come back.Thats it Bethesda has lost all of my respect and support.

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
I would comment on how to get around the end, but I don't know how to spoiler tag things.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
ygetoff said:
I would comment on how to get around the end, but I don't know how to spoiler tag things.
Just do [ spoiler ] YOUR MESSAGE [ /spoiler ] without the spaces and watch the magic happen.

I go with the Todd Howard/Jared Rea line of reasoning: there's no such thing as too many head explosions.

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
Copter400 said:
ygetoff said:
Just do [ spoiler ] YOUR MESSAGE [ /spoiler ] without the spaces and watch the magic happen.

I go with the Todd Howard/Jared Rea line of reasoning: there's no such thing as too many head explosions.
Thank you.
really, thank you.

To get around the end:
I get around it by simply leaving the Jefferson Memorial before you enter the purifier room. The Lyons Pride waits for you there, and you can run around the gameworld doing whatever you like forever. I plan to do that until "Broken Steel" comes out.

JD4566

May 24, 2008
Jester Lord said:
Im pissed that Bethesda told us ps3 owners to fuck off and never come back.Thats it Bethesda has lost all of my respect and support.
What a shame.

Zeldadudes

Sep 12, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
I still say that charging us to fix a major flaw in the game is a real dick move, even if it was allowed on all platforms.
Sounds like a Lionhead move eh? *Cough Fable 2*
Didn't think Bethesda would do the same.

Jul 9, 2008
Jester Lord said:
Not as simple as that. They didn't just sit around going "Fuck the PS3," MS bought the rights to the DLC.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
orannis62 said:
Jester Lord said:
Not as simple as that. They didn't just sit around going "Fuck the PS3," MS bought the rights to the DLC.
Money talks, bullshit walks. Don't hate the game, playa.

Silly euphanisms aside, yeah that sucks for you. I got my xbox360 copy with the full intention of buying it for the PC some day and modding the crap out of it though, so... there's always that.

Kriegsherr

Jan 10, 2009
fish food carl said:
There is an unfair amount of balance between the PS3 and the 360 - the 360 gets the best service by developers, while the PS3 gets horse manure. But, then again, you PS3 owners should thank your lucky stars that when (not if) your console breaks for the millionth time, you don't get put through to a call-centre in Dubai, where they speak no English and just give me a number to fuck-all.

Damn you, Microsoft Customer Service!
And the PC gets whats left 8 months later because theres the assumption that everybody will just pirate it anyway, like many other games, Fallout 3 was great fun and totally worth the money I paid for it

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
This confirms my theory that Fallout 4 will be the game we really wanted from Bethesda, they seem to understand some of the mistakes they made and are working to correct them. Kudos.

Chocolate Source

Jul 17, 2008
I'm in the pro-vats camp, shooting a grenade mid-air then headshotting 4 people in row never got old =)

But after I first went through the ending I thought "the dev who did this should never work on games again. Never ever. Ever." To put it politely.

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
Jared Rea said:
"Based on the feedback I've seen, most people are pissed off that it ends, not the 'ending' itself," levels Howard.
Eh? I thought most people were pissed at both. To be honest I've seen more people who hate the ending then hate that it ends.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I've never much liked Bethesda. They seem to think they are the Tolkiens of video games when in actuallity the are hacks with this friend that's really good at drawing.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Wow. It's unuasual to see a game company actually come out, put their hands and and say "We fucked up.".

Kudos.