Fallout 3 Producer Responds to Fan Criticisms

acer840

(Insert Awesome Title)
Mar 24, 2008
Country
Australia
I just hate how I got the PS3 version, and now we don't get DLC for it. They did this with GTA4 and now Fallout 3. I hate Microsoft buying the monopoly of DLC. Rather than make me buy it for thier console, it just makes me hate them more. All they are after is consumers money (obviously) by buying out the compitition. And I wish devalopers would stop allowing themselves to be sold like that.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Stubee said:
Lol 2 out of 3 of those "criticisms" were just ridiculous. Ive heard no one compare Fallout 3 to actual FPS's let alone AAA ones. Besides, what RPG DOESN'T get easier when your all levelled up with the best kit? In fact if it ain't getting easier your playing it wrong.
I agree. It's ridiculous trying to compare Fallout 3 to a FPS. It's not trying to be one. It's almost like complaining that Oblivion was a horrible fighting game when compared to Soul Caliber because you can swing a sword in both. Also I would be more pissed off if it didn't get easier as I leveled up. Because if it stayed the same, there would be no point and then I would just be pissed off at the scaled enemies.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
Jester Lord said:
Im pissed that Bethesda told us ps3 owners to fuck off and never come back.Thats it Bethesda has lost all of my respect and support.
Microsoft bought the exclusive rights to the DLC, not Bethesda, and they warned you, don't get pissed off at Bethsoft.

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
I like the way he responds to the critisism with out really accepting that the critisism may be justified. I interprate the replies as follows

A)Yep we agree Fallout is a terrible FPS, but thats the way we designed it so we are right. (I understand its not an FPS but it lets you play it as one and so it should at least be playable as an FPS)

B)The ending is crap sure but we're perfectly happy to fix that for you...... for a fee.

C)I like VATS, thats all that matters so fuck off

Not that Im saying its a bad game, I enjoyed it very much till the end, but the VATS system could have been improved, maybe with the option of not having to watch the slow mo head shot every single time. Sure its great for a while but after the 1000th it gets a little bit annoying.

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
As a PC-man myself, I must say that Bethsedea's behaviour in this matter was clearly short-sighted. Instead of simply releasing to all platforms and taking the cash in then, they went and allowed Microsoft to purchase the rights. This has had the dual effect of loosing them the profits from the PS3 market AND earning them the emnity of a large slice of console gamers. In short, they fucked up, they went for liquidity instead of larger, longer-term profits, and they're losing out for it in revenue and customers.

So, yes, I will blame Bethsedea. However, there game is so excellent that I forgive them wholly for their mistakes.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
EH, I guess I'll join up the rest of the Ps3 guys here.

Screw you Bethesda! Then again, Microsoft did pay the rights, so Fuck you Microsoft!

Woohoo! A perfectly valid reason to release my inner fanboy!

TygerFish

Dec 5, 2008
I agree with many others that these criticisms are a really strange choice for the top three. For my money, the stupid, trite, illogical, one-dimensional ending came close to tainting the whole thing for me.

For one thing, when I played through, I had Fawkes standing right there. Hello! Radiation? Remember what we did last time someone had to go into an irradiated place? In the main story arc nonetheless? Or was Fawkes just totally spacing? Oh, right, they had to force you into an inane, oversimplified approximation of good vs. evil so they could describe your forced choice in an overblown, melodramatic voiceover.

Chocolate Source said:
But after I first went through the ending I thought "the dev who did this should never work on games again. Never ever. Ever." To put it politely.
Exactly.

The fact that it ended at all? Not a big deal. Just re-load your last save and continue on your way without finishing it. Although, really, the awfulness of that ending almost made me put it down in disgust.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
I actually liked the ending exept for the inconsistencies:

You shoul've been able to send in the Ghoul, Mutant or Whatsherface Paladin in and be able to continue playing. Going in yourself and dieing is a fine ending in my book, but if I didn't sacrifice myself, how come I can't just walk out of there and be on my merry way?

I loved VATS and the game being a mediocre shooter is pretty logical, since it's not just a shooter.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Ahhh at least they are listening. They could have easily said it is perfect the way it is. Still sucks about the PS3 getting hosed

ButtonedDownParadox

Aug 11, 2008
scarbunny said:
I like the way he responds to the critisism with out really accepting that the critisism may be justified. I interprate the replies as follows

B)The ending is crap sure but we're perfectly happy to fix that for you...... for a fee.
Not even that! It was more like, "What do you mean? Everybody loves the ending and thinks it makes total sense and is wholly original and gives you a fulfilling sense that all the good/evil things you have done prior to the end was worth more than a faded out picture set to one of two voice-overs! It was totally an evolution on a game made ten years ago! They just wanted to play more is all. And who can blame them, am I right?"

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Nimbus said:
Wow. It's unuasual to see a game company actually come out, put their hands and and say "We fucked up.".

Kudos.
They don't though. They basically say that they are fixing the things they intended to fix to begin with, yet the claim credit for adressing issues, pat themselves on the back and just ignore all other criticism.

Powas

Dec 18, 2008
Hahaha, Todd himself answering the questions. Too bad he adressed the super minor issues Fallout fans have with this piece of garbage called Fallout 3. What a douche... yep, that's Todd for sure.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
I still say that charging us to fix a major flaw in the game is a real dick move, even if it was allowed on all platforms.
Yay capitalism. Sell the disease and the cure.

Vyacheslav

Jan 27, 2009
The ending wasn't a real problem? You have got to be joking me. There were plenty of small grievances that nagged me through the game, but I still mostly enjoyed it until I reached the end, which was the most horrible piece of writing I have ever seen. I'm still thinking it must have some kind of poor attempt of a parody of something or other, since I think cocking it up like that requires that you're actually trying to do just that.

So there's supposed to be a huge choice of sacrificing yourself in chamber filled with radiation. The dramatic effect is slightly hampered by the fact that half of the companions you can find are actually immune to radiation. In the main plot a big deal is made of the fact that one is immune, and another one is not only immune, but actually bound to do anything you order him to do. Still, both of them refuse and are perfectly happy to let you or the whatshername paladin bite the bullet. To add insult to injury, Bethesda broke the tradition of the great Fallout endings where the destiny of each town is described, and that maintaining it wouldn't have required more than a couple of hours of writing and a moment of extra studio time with Ron Perlman.

Actually, now that I write it down, I can't think it could be anything but a parody. I can't imagine anyone with two functioning brain cells looking at this tripe and saying "Good enough, let's ship it". After that ending, I couldn't have cared less that you couldn't play the game anymore. I wouldn't have continued if I could have, and I sure as hell am not buying another Bethesda game ever again. I happen to believe that writing matters, especially in the RPG genre.