Fallout 3 "Van Buren" Demo Released

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fallout 3 "Van Buren" Demo Released

Following on the heels of Fallout 3 forums [http://www.bethsoft.com/], Black Isle Studios' infamous Van Buren tech demo has been released to the public.

Van Buren was the code-name for Black Isle's aborted attempt at a second Fallout sequel. The game was intended to be set in the American southwest, and a basic storyline had been plotted that expanded upon the events of the first two games, focusing largely on a war raging between the Brotherhood of Steel and the New California Republic. Before work could progress past this early stage, however, the entire Black Isle Studios staff was laid off by its parent company, Interplay.

While playable, Van Buren is a pre-alpha tech demo, never intended for public consumption. Many features, including combat, aren't fully implemented, the graphics are very basic, and it is extremely buggy. It is also has no connection whatsoever to the Fallout 3 project currently being developed by Bethesda. Nonetheless, its near-legendary status among the die-hard Fallout fanbase as well as the curiosity factor surrounding it for more casual gamers will likely result in the demo's widespread dissemination.

The 214-megabyte Van Buren tech demo can be downloaded from here [http://www.nma-fallout.com/].

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
This is very interesting, so I shall check it out. I loved Fallout 3, and i think that this will make a refreshing change from all the space marine FPS's I have been playing.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
So, I just looked up a video of the tech demo and wow...its such a shame they never got to finish that game. It was looking to be more of the same Fallout that I loved so dearly. The graphical update looked very good for the game, and the sheer amount of character customization, from what I saw, was insane. If only it were possible to take on such a daunting task in the game world today. I don't think there will ever be another game quite like Fallout 1&2 (mostly 1). Being able to talk your way (and not fight at all) through an entire game is an impressive feat. Doing that in games nowadays is way too time consuming and well, nobody really has that kind of man-power either.

Fallout 3 was great and all, but the fact that I was forced to kill most of the people I encountered kind of ruined the Fallout experience I came to know and love. Like I said though, still a great game.