Fallout 4 critic vs audience reviews for pc port.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
kenu12345 said:
Ragsnstitches said:
I really don't get the hate for this game... I've been having a blast. The perils of the hype train I guess.
For me its the fact that it forces a backstory on you for no apparent reason besides a bad story and removes alot of the rpg elements that I like about past games especially New Vegas
New Vegas has no backstory? Your a courier who gets shot and has amnesia, let alone all the interactions with he other courier. I'll wait for all the DLC to come out but Id say there more backstory in New Vegas. I haven't got far enough to judge if it s a bad story, but I'm giving the perk table more time before I decide. My biggest problem with the game is the dialogue choices.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
trunkage said:
kenu12345 said:
Ragsnstitches said:
I really don't get the hate for this game... I've been having a blast. The perils of the hype train I guess.
For me its the fact that it forces a backstory on you for no apparent reason besides a bad story and removes alot of the rpg elements that I like about past games especially New Vegas
New Vegas has no backstory? Your a courier who gets shot and has amnesia, let alone all the interactions with he other courier. I'll wait for all the DLC to come out but Id say there more backstory in New Vegas. I haven't got far enough to judge if it s a bad story, but I'm giving the perk table more time before I decide. My biggest problem with the game is the dialogue choices.
First off, you don't have amnesia in New Vegas. I don't know how this rumor started. You can play the game as if you had it, but the only set thing is you are a courier and have beenn for at least a little bit. I assume you are talking about Ullysses when you are talking other courier which I must point out that Ulysses hardly knows you, just what happened due to a package that was delivered by you for whatever reason. Contrast to this to Fallout 4's story where you are a loving family man who serves in the milatary (Or a wife in a military family that was previously a lawyer) that is dedicated to finding his son even though its so fucking obvious whats going on and always mourns over his wife when you play through the intro

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
kenu12345 said:
trunkage said:
kenu12345 said:
Ragsnstitches said:
First off, you don't have amnesia in New Vegas. I don't know how this rumor started. You can play the game as if you had it, but the only set thing is you are a courier and have beenn for at least a little bit. I assume you are talking about Ullysses when you are talking other courier which I must point out that Ulysses hardly knows you, just what happened due to a package that was delivered by you for whatever reason. Contrast to this to Fallout 4's story where you are a loving family man who serves in the milatary (Or a wife in a military family that was previously a lawyer) that is dedicated to finding his son even though its so fucking obvious whats going on and always mourns over his wife when you play through the intro
I played Fallout NV quite a few times, and it seems to me as if you don't remember jack shit at the start.

That being said FO4 doesn't have much backstory dear god, you want to see backstory? Read LotR and the silmarillion, that shit is fucking backstory. Saying you're a husband/wife who was in the military and has a kid isn't that much of a backstory. I could make up all I wanted to about it, it's not an AMAZING story by any means but I wouldn't call it a huge detriment.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
DoPo said:
distortedreality said:
008Zulu said:
distortedreality said:
Has absolutely nothing to do with the game, hate Valve if you must.
The topic originally started out about how some people do and don't like the game. How is me stating what I don't like about it, not relevant?
Your reason for not liking the game is about as relevant as why a baby vomits.

Couldn't care less if you don't like the game. But you didn't actually give a reason for not liking the game that actually had anything to do with the game.

Would be like me saying "I don't like the sun because cinnamon".
Wait, so how is Valve relevant in that case? Did Gabe go to the Bethesda and force them at gunpoint to have a big chunk of their game still need to be downloaded?
Assuming the dude is playing on PC (which I thought was a safe enough bet as I had almost the same exact issue), Valve control the delivery system for the game. This isn't the first time Steam has decided to download files from the net instead of the disc.

Obviously, you expect to download some content - but not the majority (think it's about 25gb or so, vs 5gb or so from the disc).

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
distortedreality said:
DoPo said:
distortedreality said:
008Zulu said:
distortedreality said:
Has absolutely nothing to do with the game, hate Valve if you must.
The topic originally started out about how some people do and don't like the game. How is me stating what I don't like about it, not relevant?
Your reason for not liking the game is about as relevant as why a baby vomits.

Couldn't care less if you don't like the game. But you didn't actually give a reason for not liking the game that actually had anything to do with the game.

Would be like me saying "I don't like the sun because cinnamon".
Wait, so how is Valve relevant in that case? Did Gabe go to the Bethesda and force them at gunpoint to have a big chunk of their game still need to be downloaded?
Assuming the dude is playing on PC (which I thought was a safe enough bet as I had almost the same exact issue), Valve control the delivery system for the game. This isn't the first time Steam has decided to download files from the net instead of the disc.

Obviously, you expect to download some content - but not the majority (think it's about 25gb or so, vs 5gb or so from the disc).
So, you're saying that there were the full 30 gig on the disk but Steam chose to count to five and then quit that installer?

Is...that really a thing that happens? Like, at all?

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Fallout 4 has been great for me thus far ... I don't see the issue here. Sure it's got some glitches, and the graphics aren't like mind blowing quality, but that's nit picking. So far the game is really fun with a ton of improvements to boot mechanic wise.

Also the mods for this game is going to make it 200% better like they did for Skyrim.

Also it's funny how people bash this game, yet same people praise Undertale despite the game's quality is mostly in pixels. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Undertale for it's amazing story telling, characters, unique mechanics, ect. but we can't forget it's a short, simple game that could be beaten in 4 hours. Fallout 4 can have you playing for 100+ hours without being halfway done. People confuse me with their rants sometimes, and how they only get a few hours in before giving the game a 0-2 star score when in reality the lowest is a 7 at least. Ugh, people ......
Pretty much agree with this here, been having a blast and haven't come across any major bugs yet, but may do later, who knows.

Your comparison to Undertale is a little misguided though, that's a cheaper title and people are usually more forgiving of those sorts of indie titles etc due to the constraints they tend to have compared to a AAA studio.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
I think the fact that you need to call it a "PC Port" is enough critique in itself.
Imagine how much better the game could have been if the PC version had been designed with PC's in mind.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Still, people are all about graphics these days that I can't help but feel if an AAA developer tries copying the pixel style that Undertale does, they'll be eaten alive. Heck if Nintendo decides to turn their Pokemon games back into Pixel instead of 3D, people would rip their heads off regardless of how good great everything else is (mechanics, gameplay, story, characters, ect)
Yeah, it's a shame, because games have more to offer then just visual fidelity, aesthetic is more important and Fallout 4 seems to keep it's visuals consistent. I've seen people say it looks just like Fallout 3 and I think they're not looking at the same game. I know it's not The Order 1886 level of visuals, but Fallout 4 still looks nice.

This isn't for you so much as those thinking it looks like Fallout 3 (for which I have seen very little on this site saying so), here's a little example:

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
Still, people are all about graphics these days that I can't help but feel if an AAA developer tries copying the pixel style that Undertale does, they'll be eaten alive. Heck if Nintendo decides to turn their Pokemon games back into Pixel instead of 3D, people would rip their heads off regardless of how good / great everything else is (mechanics, gameplay, story, characters, ect)
Well, of Course. If a AAA devs would try to make a game with this cheap pixely look and try to sell it for 60 bucks, then of course people would be pissed. They expect more from a title that is this expensive. The same goes for indie developers. When they ask for a lot of money, people generally expect them to have a game that's good on all fronts including graphics.
If a AAA developer would make a game with pixel graphics and sell it for 10 bucks, i don't think there would be any problem. Provided the game is any good of course.
It's not about who's making the game. It's about how much they charge for the game and what sort of quality, in this case visual quality, people expect to get for that price.

Personally i don't really care that much about Fallouts graphics. The game looks good enough and theres just so, so many problems with the game that focussing on graphics alone is kind of a waste.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
Fallout 4 has been great for me thus far ... I don't see the issue here. Sure it's got some glitches, and the graphics aren't like mind blowing quality, but that's nit picking. So far the game is really fun with a ton of improvements to boot mechanic wise.

Also the mods for this game is going to make it 200% better like they did for Skyrim.

Also it's funny how people bash this game, yet same people praise Undertale despite the game's quality is mostly in pixels. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Undertale for it's amazing story telling, characters, unique mechanics, ect. but we can't forget it's a short, simple game that could be beaten in 4 hours. Fallout 4 can have you playing for 100+ hours without being halfway done. People confuse me with their rants sometimes, and how they only get a few hours in before giving the game a 0-2 star score when in reality the lowest is a 7 at least. Ugh, people ......
I feel your comparison to Undertale is way off since 1)They are different genres 2)Structured differently 3)priced differently 4) And one is story based. I don't start comparing a good narrative movie to an action movie to try to forgive the action movie's plot.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Let's be honest for a second. ONLY Bethesda can get away with a release like this. It's a game that hasn't improved very much since the last one 7 years ago, it's a buggy mess, it doesn't look like a 2015 game and it's using Nvidia's proprietary tech that breaks everything because Nvidia doesn't want anybody with an AMD card to enjoy all the "eye candy".
I don't begrudge anyone for hating this game. I can enjoy it despite those things, but it would probably be best for all of us if we didn't enjoy it. And if we didn't allow Bethesda to get away with such unpolished products. If a small studio like CDPR can create something like The Witcher 3 then what the fuck is Bethesda's excuse for this mess?

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
As a fan of the pre-fallout 3 games in the series I can say that for me Fallout 4 just does not look and feel like Fallout. Corse I loved New Vegas so i am a little bias but the east coast never really 'gripped' me like a whole lot of other people. Beyond that the changes they made to the core system irk me but it's ok.

I will be the first to admit I am a 'disgruntled' fan with this game, but what's the point in going and metabombing it? Or yelling at people who like it? At the end of the day I just spend my money elsewhere.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Adam Jensen said:
Let's be honest for a second. ONLY Bethesda can get away with a release like this. It's a game that hasn't improved very much since the last one 7 years ago, it's a buggy mess, it doesn't look like a 2015 game and it's using Nvidia's proprietary tech that breaks everything because Nvidia doesn't want anybody with an AMD card to enjoy all the "eye candy".
I don't begrudge anyone for hating this game. I can enjoy it despite those things, but it would probably be best for all of us if we didn't enjoy it. And if we didn't allow Bethesda to get away with such unpolished products. If a small studio like CDPR can create something like The Witcher 3 then what the fuck is Bethesda's excuse for this mess?
The way I see it, I think it's perfectly valid to criticize Beth's lack of adequate QA even if you bought the game knowing that they have a history of this nonsense. However, I get a little irked when people flip their shit and act surprise every time this happens. Yeah, they should make more stable games but you knew the risk going in! It's like when people get greedy and drink hot chocolate too quickly. Yeah, it's fucking hot dude! Watch the fuck out!

The bugginess is inexcusable and will forever prevent Beth games from being 10/10 for me (despite Morrowind being my second favorite game of all time), but despite the bugs, if you're still having fun with it they at least did something right.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Charcharo said:
This is Bethesda's fourth time. And the SAME damned mistakes. Not new ones. Not old ones. The same. Ohh and one more (or at least more sever than before) - terrible performance on all hardware, but worst on AMD and consoles. GG.

Lets see:
-No FOV slider. One of the rare times this affected me... why cant it be in an options menu?
-Mouse acceleration and smoothing. Why can I not turn them on and off in a menu? Why is it on by default?
-Vsyncs to either 30 or 60. Why is this not an option? Why can it not be like in the Witcher 3? Why can I not set it on/off and also choose a cap to my frame rate? Why is this not in the options menu?
-Game logic is tied to frame rate. This... is amateurish. FFS, this is a rookie mistake, why did it happen to a AAA game in 2015?

Add in:
- Bad selection of gameworks features. That AND bad implementation. This is crippling to AMD users... and the saddest thing is, games like Metro Last Light STILL have better god rays and illumination. Except they dont cripple neither AMD nor Nvidia hardware with it.
Speaking of which, even Nvidia cards with the latest drivers are having issues with these features. Not as severe as AMD, true, but ... it is not well either.

- Bad CPU utilization.

This is acceptable once. Or from a smaller studio with little money. Or a young studio at least. Bethesda is neither of those.
I kept running up to objects and thinking "Gosh, that texture is TERRIBLE" But after I'd stood beside it for a while I realised it didn't look bad at all. Turns out it takes about 20 seconds for texture pop-in. I've disabled god-rays (my third time in three days I've had to directly edit the .ini files to change something that should be changeable in-game.) Hopefully that will give me some boost in performance.
I've an AMD Card and AMD processor in my computer and Fallout 4 is just crap performance wise. Hopefully the optimization mods will arrive shortly and clear up the mess, (and a proper sorted inventory mod when buying/selling/crafting, because currently there is literally no sorting whatsoever in those menus) but if Valve/Bethesda think we'll ever accept paying more money to buy those sorts of mods they have another thing coming.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
The hostility towards the game is a mix of pre-release legitimate complaints (lol, FPS/texture pop in/glitches, WHY DID YOU TAKE AWAY ALL MY ROLEPLAYING MECHANICS?!, holy shit the AI Pathing is super broken and 'The main story isn't impressive and the dialogue system really feels shoehorned and not well thought out) with a few illegitimate ones (The map is too small, why is the gunplay better? Fallout isn't supposed to be a shooter [AKA the 1/2/Tactics fans still upset albeit understandably so] and look at these dumb glitches like teleporting companions and animals/backpacks flying) having, as per usual, its intensity amplified by forum lurking individuals who either legitimately are frustrated with Besthesda getting away with the issues they're getting away with or because they feel they're streamlining and changing too much for a wider appeal to the game.

To be honest, the bugs I've seen are much less game breaking than say, the issues that were present in skyrim or new vegas. I've had one crash in the 30+ hours I've played so far and the other stuff like camera issues or texture pop in are so infrequent and, again, non-game breaking that I can't factor it in as such a huge weight of criticism for the game to the point of it not being good. It's like a lot of people have said, the good outweighs the bad so significantly that I can't help but just not give a shit, I'm having FAR too much fun to care.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
They really dropped the ball with the graphics. Instead of investing in better rigging and skeletal movement, they invested in shiny new textures. Remember how mods made Skyrim all pretty? Wont happen like that for Fallout 4. The parts that need improvements are the models and move cycles, and those are not readily accessible to modders.

Lots of bugs and glitches, too. Could have used a few more months ironing those out, but people just seem to not care about getting a polished product

But I personally don't care about that, what I do care about is the story, and they really dropped the ball on that too. Only 4 dialogue options? Always 4 dialogue options? No real way of telling what your character is going to say? No thanks. Not to mention, seen so many instances in the first few hours that show that the NPCs will just carry on with their script whatever you interject... This is just so many steps backwards from New Vegas.

Lictor Face

Nov 14, 2011
There's so much talk about "if we let them get away with" etc etc talk that its a little stomach churning.

All this buggery and moaning isn't going to do anything.

Maybe you're not going to let them get away with it, but I sure am, because I don't care and am all the better for it.

If you're unhappy with how Fallout 4 is going,wander off and go play something else. Hell, with the beauty of Steam's new refund system, you can even do that and still lose nothing except a paltry what. Two hours?

I haven't gotten Fallout 4 yet, I probably will in a couple of months circumstances permitting. I'll probably buy overpriced DLC because that's what pleasure spending is for. I'll also probably enjoy the experience, and if I don't, I'll just refund it and spend the pieces elsewhere.

The beauty of Steam is that it renders at least half of our complaints redundant as you can just get the money back, if not the time.There isn't much to complain about once you get the dosh back, and if there somehow is, chances are you're looking for a chance to whinge rather than encounter a legitimate problem.

Tough if you're a console player though, I can sort of understand why you'd be unhappy, particularly if you pre-purchased it. But if you're under the umbrella of Steam and its systems, I don't see the point of deliberate bellyaching when you can just write it off and call it a day.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Most of the user reviews are pretty incoherent, and I suspect that a fair amount of them haven't played the game for more than an hour or two. Let's address some of the most prevalent complaints.

"The Skill System is Gone": This is simply not true; the skills have just been fused into the perk system because they were redundant.

Riddle me this: What is the difference between these two mechanics:

A: Increasing a skill that makes you do more damage with guns.

B: Getting a perk that makes you do more damage with guns.

Answer: Nothing! There is no functionality lost here; the systems are only different on a superficial level.

"The Graphics and Performance are Awful": I haven't had any issues with performance, and I think the game is MUCH better looking than any of Bethesda's previous games. The animations especially are leaps and bounds ahead.

"The Writing is Terrible": This is a matter of personal taste; in my opinion, the writing itself is a cut above Fallout 3 and Skyrim. I have yet to complete the main story, but I'm actually finding myself interested in some of the characters, which is more than I can say for the denizens of Skyrim. It's not KOTOR or Persona, but it's a perfectly enjoyable bit of fiction.

I think what people are really upset about is the new dialogue system. I always find abbreviated dialogue options to be irritating; too often, I don't get a sufficient understanding of the details and tone of what my character is going to say. I DO prefer the old system, but the new one also isn't a deal breaker. You learn the pattern of which button represents which attitude pretty quickly, so as long as you're aware of the shortcomings of the system, you can manage. I can still more or less express my intention - the system is sub-optimal, but functional.

Regarding the reactivity of the narrative and setting, I'm too early into the game to tell. I haven't noticed any major differences from Fallout 3. I don't know if it's as open ended as New Vegas, but how many games can make that claim?

Honestly, this whole thing reeks of foul play. I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be some kind of targeted attack. The game just isn't that different from any of Bethesda's previous work - there has got to be some explanation for a reaction this out of step with convention.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
sumanoskae said:
"The Skill System is Gone": This is simply not true; the skills have just been fused into the perk system because they were redundant.

Riddle me this: What is the difference between these two mechanics:

A: Increasing a skill that makes you do more damage with guns.

B: Getting a perk that makes you do more damage with guns.
Proper answer: The mechanics are not used properly. If you have two distinct traits, they should represent different things. Pretty basic thing. In D&D 3.X +2 strength and a fighting feat do represent different things and are distinct. If both traits have effects that are indistinguishable, then somebody did a poor job designing the system.