Fallout 4 Framerate Glitch Turns The Game Into Benny Hill

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
...50 quid that this can all be traced back to Gamebryo being a shitty piece of tech that deserves to burn.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
ShakerSilver said:
That's not entirely true, they designed the entire game around being able to mod it - they expect you to mod it to fix all bugs or glitches they don't ever intend on fixing.
It's pretty smart business decision to let your Q&A team pay you for the work they are doing for you.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
If this is an issue that ties back to Bethesda using the same engine as Morrowind....
Why are they still using it?

I mean, sure, they know how to use the engine, and therefore must be masters of making things within it...
(spoilers: No, they're not)

Otherwise there wouldn't be any glitches and bugs where things don't act like they're supposed to...

What I don't understand, is that the parent company, Zenimax (or whoever) owns many other companies with better, newer engines that wouldn't cost much to use because, well, they're owned by the same company...

Imagine if Fallout was built using ID Tech 5 or something... Sure, it'd take them a while to get used to building things in it, but it's not like they haven't been making Fallout 4 for years, right?

We'd have current gen visuals, current gen features and none of this archaic bullshit from back before PC's started using widescreen monitors...

And all of my friends wondered why I didn't pre-order Fallout 4...
Because without mods, there are a lot of features missing/hidden that should be staples of every indie studio today.... Let alone Triple A's

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Thats what happens when you tie physics/gameclock to framerate. its a mistake that would get you a fail grade in first year of programming class.

IceForce said:
Before people get too carried away with this, I think it should be pointed out that Skyrim also had issues with v-sync being turned off and/or very high frame rates on PC too.
Yes, Bethesda, bethesda never changes. In Fact Fallout 4 looks like Skyrim mod. heck, half the animations are flat out ripped off from Skyrim. they keep doing the same mistake that no competent developer would make.

synobal said:
Characterizing it as a glitch is silly, it isn't a glitch it's how the engine is designed.
broken by design is still broken.

IceForce said:
I'm wondering where the line is between "glitch" and "fucking up your game yourself because you edited something that should not have been edited".
the line is where it is concerned about features that every game should have and they would only be locked off from options due to utter incompetence of the developer.

NLS said:
How about just running the game without editing the config files, like they intended you to? Next up: Playing the game with a HOTAS works, but is nearly impossible to play with.
sure, as soon as the developer provides basic options in the menu of the game to turn of v-sync and fix FOV.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Ok, so if tying the game's speed and physics to the framerate wasn't enough, the game's damn loading times may be tied to the framerate as well:
So unlocking the framerate would be straight up better than keeping it locked if you don't mind the messed up game speed.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
ShakerSilver said:
Ok, so if tying the game's speed and physics to the framerate wasn't enough, the game's damn loading times may be tied to the framerate as well:
So unlocking the framerate would be straight up better than keeping it locked if you don't mind the messed up game speed.
If someone told me this without the videos, I would think he's fucking with me.
How can you fuck something up this much? What the hell? How did no one at Bethesda, at any point during the development stand up and say "hey, maybe we're doing something incredibly wrong here!"?

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
As said by many others, this isn't a glitch. This is just incompetence that will be shoved under the couch because people believe Bethesda can do no wrong.

Nov 9, 2015
IceForce said:
synobal said:
Characterizing it as a glitch is silly, it isn't a glitch it's how the engine is designed.
Yeah, the only way of experiencing this glitch is to modify your ini file to change an option that Bethesda deliberately didn't provide a UI option for.

I'm wondering where the line is between "glitch" and "fucking up your game yourself because you edited something that should not have been edited".
Fun fact: Morrowind's default max fps was set to 240 in the ini. Apparently lowering it to 100 is recommended as it increases stability.

Oh, and Oblivion had no fps limit that i'm aware of. You just have to uncheck the little box that says v-sync in the settings window.
The good news is that Oblivion was so unoptimized that you'll probably never run into this problem unless you have the perfect combination of hardware.

Editing the ini file is practically a rite of passage for Bethesda games. Anyone who has had performance problems and searched on google has been told to edit the ini. Anyone who has ever installed a mod has edited the ini file, or the mod manager did it for them. Does ArchiveInvalidation.bsa sound familiar?

Saying, "you broke it because you made the wrong ini edit" would make sense if Bethesda actually documented it properly. Unfortunately, there are always edits that are outdated because they either don't work or make the game unstable. Someone had to learn this through trial and error. To say "you fucked up your game yourself" is not very fair.

Like so many games before, Fallout 4 has a poor options menu that does not have an FOV slider, and v-sync and mouse acceleration on or off (Why are these things on by default?).

Personally, i'm not suprised Bethesda hasn't learned anything from porting Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim. I wouldn't be suprised if people started complaining about save game bloat, or if someone released another optimization mod. In fact, i'm pretty sure that we will see an Unoffical Fallout 4 Patch in the next year or so.