Fallout 4 Mods Are Finally Coming to PS4 With Restrictions

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Aaaaand that's just one of the reasons I don't give a damn about consoles...

Kahani

May 25, 2011
RedDeadFred said:
A lot of these use new textures though. True, they utilize mostly in game assets, but they definitely alter them.
Some of them, although far from all, do use new textures. Pretty much none of them actually need to though. If someone's made a whole new story for a whole new dungeon and the only thing stopping it go on the PS4 is a reskin used for the final boss, it's not exactly a big deal to change that.

Recusant said:
So you're getting almost nothing new, but it will (potentially) be shinier? Of all the problems with Skyrim, they think that what most needs fixing is the graphics?
Um, no? If anything, the exact opposite appears to be the case - since you can't use external assets, the graphics are the one thing that absolutely cannot change. Given that the PS4 is already pretty much at its limits, and the impact graphical mods on PC tend to have on performance, it's unlikely the console version could be made much shinier anyway. Console users will miss out on all the reskins, new monsters and the like, but they were never going to get things like higher resolution textures and better lighting effects anyway.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
This just seems like a wide net to cover up for cases where Sony would be sued for copyright infringement and intelectual properties on something they didn't even approve. I don't think they want any legal trouble from having dragons changed to Macho Man, NPCs to Spiderman and swords to lightsabers...

Exaggerated, but not entirely uncalled for. Kind of ironic that this happens in a Bethesda game, though.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Kahani said:
Recusant said:
So you're getting almost nothing new, but it will (potentially) be shinier? Of all the problems with Skyrim, they think that what most needs fixing is the graphics?
Um, no? If anything, the exact opposite appears to be the case - since you can't use external assets, the graphics are the one thing that absolutely cannot change. Given that the PS4 is already pretty much at its limits, and the impact graphical mods on PC tend to have on performance, it's unlikely the console version could be made much shinier anyway. Console users will miss out on all the reskins, new monsters and the like, but they were never going to get things like higher resolution textures and better lighting effects anyway.
I meant that the game's getting a remaster at all. Zenimax have said that it won't feature any new content or systems; all that leaves is improving the graphics- which didn't really need improving. The game's not even five years old, after all. I suppose they could also improve the sound, but I never really noticed that, good or bad.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
MatthewTheDark said:
So what's the point? I mean when I mod, I typically go for something new that I really like the sound of in my game. This pretty much just means the only kinds of mods you'll really get to see are bug fixes/unofficial patches and cheating stuff. You might as well have done nothing since they basically restricted them to whatever console commands would let you do.
Hey, I'll take the console commands. Makes it a lot easier to start and stop playing after you've done most everything in the main game. If I can get those, a mod that lets me use the jetpack boost as much as I want, and maybe a way to craft legendary weapons, I'll be set.

Having mods with new fan made stuff would definitely be better, but I'll be happy if I get the listed ones above.

All that said, would Sony actually be at risk of being sued if someone recreates a Darth Vader costume in the game? I mean, X-box has ones like that now right and they seem to be doing alright as far as I've heard. What even is the big difference between doing that on PC vs doing that on a console? Legally speaking.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
But..I wanted to have Shanoa's outfit and summon Doomtrain..

At least theoretically this still allows for a serious overhaul to the magic system and all kinds of new spells. I mean its still using in game assets if you have a spell that fires a magelight out and does sun damage to anything it sticks to, or conjure meteors etc. You could play as the headless horseman and all that.

You can probably get a lot of mileage out of vanilla assets.

Now that mods are a thing again I'm definitely getting it. Asap I'm getting the unofficial patch, and one that removes vampires attacking every town I go to every night until I slog through the ENTIRE Dawnguard line, and the same for dragons.

I want dragons to be at their walls, and occasionally out and about. I don't want them flying around refusing to come and fight me but preventing me from fast traveling anyways or torching everyone in Riverwood, Dawnstar, and Dawnstar Legion camp. Damn quartermasters need to learn to fight or run away..

But perhaps most importantly I will get the mod that fixes frost spells, blizzard especially so that they actually do the things that they are supposed to do. Making every thing in the game have massive frost resistance only further reduces broken spells to near useless sadly.

I wonder if body mods will be a thing in this version though. I mean your character model is an in game asset, but altering it to not look like a turd golem may be forbidden.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
pookie101 said:
i think its more a case of the proprietary format the playstation uses for audio and textures being the reason for vanilla assets only rather than sony being purposely malicious and bitter
My guess lies with a split between them not wanting to have to deal with any possible PR or Copyright mishap thanks to user created content, and them not wanting to open up their system to more vectors of attack from hackers. Sony as a company has become very protective of their consoles ever since the PSP and PS3 hacking scene happened, they are very careful with what data is and isn't executed on their systems nowadays.

And yeah, anyone who seriously thinks that it is done out of spite or malice is an idiot.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Imp Emissary said:
What even is the big difference between doing that on PC vs doing that on a console? Legally speaking.
While i don't think there is even legally. Management is scared of unprecedented cases, that are unpredictable. But the major legal difference is Sony (and MS for Xbox) has to approve everything. If not something specific then proxy by approving the system, that made the infringement possible. You can't sue Microsoft or Dell or Intel or Asus or AMD or Seagate for what is done on PC because it's open and they wash their hands with "at your own risk" kinda terms. With the consoles, stuff goes through one company.

Also west modding leans more make copies from other games while asians like to rip models and textures directly from other games. That Tera armor is from the actual game (and they get permission for it, too!).

Imp Emissary said:
Hey, I'll take the console commands.
That reminds me (and i just looked it up), that the most downloaded Xbox mod is the cheaterminal. Which is console commands per Pip Boy menu.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
I'm genuinely surprised they even bothered. Would not have blamed them for a second for continuing to not give Sony an inch on this until they pulled their head out of their...ground... and let this be done properly.
Easy to blame Sony ain't it but I am pretty sure the original sticking point was that Sony wanted Bethesda to actually veto and control the mods and specifically the content that was in the mods and Bethesda didn't want to spend the time or resource doing that, hence the whole not letting mods appear as they intended them bullshit. Bethesda are only willing to have anything to do with mods if they

a). Get paid for it and
b). Have to do fuck all work on them

This is probably because of the Skyrim tentacle sex mods
They required script extenders so would never have worked on the console even if they were allowed.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
K.ur said:
Imp Emissary said:
What even is the big difference between doing that on PC vs doing that on a console? Legally speaking.
While i don't think there is even legally. Management is scared of unprecedented cases, that are unpredictable. But the major legal difference is Sony (and MS for Xbox) has to approve everything. If not something specific then proxy by approving the system, that made the infringement possible. You can't sue Microsoft or Dell or Intel or Asus or AMD or Seagate for what is done on PC because it's open and they wash their hands with "at your own risk" kinda terms. With the consoles, stuff goes through one company.

Also west modding leans more make copies from other games while asians like to rip models and textures directly from other games. That Tera armor is from the actual game (and they get permission for it, too!).

Imp Emissary said:
Hey, I'll take the console commands.
That reminds me (and i just looked it up), that the most downloaded Xbox mod is the cheaterminal. Which is console commands per Pip Boy menu.
Yeah, but even with the PS4 version of Fallout 4 there are a few companies all involved in the product though. Not as diverse as it is for PC, but still. Plus, like I said, X-box seems to be doing alright so far, so it would be odd for Sony to be the first to be gone after for copyright issues.

Also, yeah. Console commands, please!
I could just grind for a while to get some aluminium, but I kind of got over that after a few hundred hours. Now I just want to build some stuff.

Caramel Frappe said:
Bethesda should of placed their foot down and said, "No. Either you allow mods with some moderation or we're taking our business elsewhere" because screw these restrictions.
But would that even work this late in the game?

I mean, by now I'd assume most people who were ever going to buy the PS4 version of Fallout 4 have already bought it. It's not like this is going to make them a lot of extra money.

Bethesda probably could have succeeded with that threat if the problem was found near launch, but I'm not sure it would work anymore.

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
RedDeadFred said:
karkashan said:
I think ya'll are forgetting about new dungeon mods and shit, things that are 9 times out of 10 done completely through in game assets. Hell, there are also a lot of player home mods that only use in game assets.

Will the mods be as robust as the ones on PC? no. But it will still be possible to add potentially hours of content into your game even with these restrictions.

praisegrima
A lot of these use new textures though. True, they utilize mostly in game assets, but they definitely alter them. By the sounds of it, something as simple as a reskin would not be allowed. Then again, now that modders know these limitations, it's possible that some of them will try to make PS4 friendly mods too. On the bright side, being able to get an unofficial patch for a Bethesda game is always a plus.
Not pure dungeon mods, those use entirely in-game assets for the most part, from what I've made to what I've played.

praisegrima

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
inb4 people pay Bethesda to patch custom textures and shit in so that their mods can work the way mods are meant to work

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Bethesda should have held firm on this. They should have just said "We can't put mods on the PS4 properly, it's Sony's fault, here's the email, address and phone number of the guy responsible." Then sit back and watch the fun. Publish updates to the contact information as needed.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I laughed, seriously. Yeah it was more of a derisive laugh, but I still laughed.

I think all this really proves is that Sony don't like sharing their toys with anyone.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
People keep on throwing this all on sony, but honestly I think it's just speaking volumes about Bethesda's complete lack of will in quality control. They want all the benefits with none of the cost, so sony, sensibly, has to place ludicrous restrictions to make sure that game-breaking, trademark infringing, and stolen stuff doesn't end up on their platform.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Sizzle Montyjing said:
People keep on throwing this all on sony, but honestly I think it's just speaking volumes about Bethesda's complete lack of will in quality control. They want all the benefits with none of the cost, so sony, sensibly, has to place ludicrous restrictions to make sure that game-breaking, trademark infringing, and stolen stuff doesn't end up on their platform.
Your also forgetting that they would want other stuff censored, such as anything sexual or nudity related, anything that could be considered offensive to somebody and stuff like that.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Wow, there's like nothing left.
All the survival mods and new monster mods are out the window.
What's left are UI fixes I guess.