Fallout 4 Xbox One Mods Capped at 2GB, Other Limitations Detailed

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Fallout 4 Xbox One Mods Capped at 2GB, Other Limitations Detailed

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1278/1278273.png
When Fallout 4 mods come to Xbox One, there will be a few restrictions.

Mods are live stream event [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167526-The-Fallout-4-Mod-Beta-has-Begun-on-Xbox-One] Bethesda detailed some of those restrictions, the most significant of which being that mods for the Xbox One version of Fallout 4 have to be smaller than 2GB.

Installing the mods themselves is fairly simple: you just have to link your Bethesda account to the Xbox version of your game, then you can browse the mods from the game's main menu. You can also check out available mods online here [https://mods.bethesda.net/#en/workshop/fallout4]. Due to first-party considerations, you cannot earn any achievements while you have mods enabled, and any mods that use assets from DLC require players to have purchased said DLC.

The game will also create a separate save when you first start using mods, so if something goes wrong you can revert to your non-modded save.

Mods for the Xbox One version of Fallout 4 will be released on May 31. PlayStation users still don't have a solid release date yet, but Bethesda claims it is still "on track" with it's initial goal of bringing mods to the PlayStation 4 in June.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-xbox-one-mods-limited-to-2gb-other-detai/1100-6440287/]

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Correctly me severely if I am wrong, but isn't one of the cons about mods is that if you add too many, they will clash and corrupt the game?

I am talking in terms of PC, I dont know who consoles will handle that with a data limit.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I want to be optimistic, but I don't see this working as well or awesome as some people think. At best you can get some new weapons, armor, and maybe the ability to play as a ghoul or something. Even then the stability is a whole other question. I had difficulties making thirty mods work on a top end PC. Can't imagine trying to get ten to work on a console.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
So,that two gig limit. Is that "No one mod may exceed two gigabytes in size",or is that "You may have no more than two gigabytes worth of mods installed"?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Riddle78 said:
So,that two gig limit. Is that "No one mod may exceed two gigabytes in size",or is that "You may have no more than two gigabytes worth of mods installed"?
The first one.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I know this sounds bad, but anyone who's extensively modded Skyrim would know that only a few mods actually eclipsed the 2 gig mark. Of course, Fallout 4 will have more mods that do this, but I still would bet that it'll be a very small percentage, most of which will be texture mods that the consoles couldn't use anyway.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
Well I mean if anyone went into this thinking it would be just as good or even close as pc they were a little bit foolish, all the mods are going to have to be approved by microsoft and bethesda I assume which means there's not going to be a lot of innovation, it'll just be the most popular and low stress mods they cherry pick from the pc anyway.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Wait... what? No achievements with mods enabled? I suppose that makes some kind of sense for balancing issues, but also: fuck that...

Guess if I do get F4 - which is still mostly conditional on a HUD fix - then I won't be getting any achievements simply because I want a UI that doesn't actively undermine immersion and any sense of discovery. Thumbs up, Bethesda!

...unless Bethesda have patched in decent immersion tailoring for the HUD?

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Darth Rosenberg said:
Wait... what? No achievements with mods enabled? I suppose that makes some kind of sense for balancing issues, but also: fuck that...
Yes, because Bethesda can't abide console gamers earning achievements while using fan-made mods that fix Bethesda's achievement-breaking bugs. You know, bugs that Bethesda has never bothered to fix themselves. Better to have people replay the entire game from scratch if they committed the unforgivable sin of exploring the world in an open-world game before chaining themselves to the disappointingly on-rails story line.

Bra. Vo.

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
Ten Foot Bunny said:
Darth Rosenberg said:
Yes, because Bethesda can't abide console gamers earning achievements while using fan-made mods that fix Bethesda's achievement-breaking bugs. You know, bugs that Bethesda has never bothered to fix themselves. Better to have people replay the entire game from scratch if they committed the unforgivable sin of exploring the world in an open-world game before chaining themselves to the disappointingly on-rails story line.

Bra. Vo.
They also did this for the pc version in the most recent patch, disabling achievements if you're running mods. Of course, I just got another mod that fixes that.

Blacklight28

Nov 27, 2013
Darth Rosenberg said:
Don't worry, there's a mod for that.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ten Foot Bunny said:
Darth Rosenberg said:

Bra. Vo.
Yet to have any issue earning any achievement in any Bethesda game for any glitch or bug reason.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Parasondox said:
Correctly me severely if I am wrong, but isn't one of the cons about mods is that if you add too many, they will clash and corrupt the game?

I am talking in terms of PC, I dont know who consoles will handle that with a data limit.
Not necessarily, it all depends on the mods and your PC. You can have well over 100 mods with no worries about crashing or corruption. It all depends on making sure none of your mods conflict and getting the load order correct. Now some mods can definitely reduce your performance and I think on the consoles where they already target 30 fps that will be the main issue with any graphics mods, like high resolution textures. Most mods, like weapons and armor mods, quest mods, companion mods, etc., should work fine on consoles.

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
Amir Kondori said:
Now some mods can definitely reduce your performance and I think on the consoles where they already target 30 fps that will be the main issue with any graphics mods, like high resolution textures. Most mods, like weapons and armor mods, quest mods, companion mods, etc., should work fine on consoles.
On the other hand, I'm wondering: will there be texture/graphic downgrading mods to make the game run at a higher frame rate. Kind of like modding a 'low' setting into the game, since modern consoles are like low-end PCs anyway.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Shadefyre said:
They also did this for the pc version in the most recent patch, disabling achievements if you're running mods. Of course, I just got another mod that fixes that.
Modding done right.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Mods on consoles aren't good for anything other than something to point and laugh at.

/point Xbox

/laugh

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
MHR said:
Mods on consoles aren't good for anything other than something to point and laugh at.

/point Xbox

/laugh
How pathetically exclusionist of you. I might be a PC gamer,but I see this as the beginnings of a wonderful revolution in console game design. Modding has ALWAYS been among the top reasons why people prefer the PC over consoles. Modding is fun. Modding can objectively improve a game. But not everybody has the time,patience,and/or resources to build a computer beastly enough to handle a modded game. I can imagine the console scene being very vibrant in the future,primarily because people will want to push the system. Two gigs is a whole mess of wiggle room for mod development. Will there be a selection process for Bethesda Net? More than likely. I doubt it'll be much more restrictive than the Nexus.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
In trying to import everything from a PC to a console, you're making the process more complicated, at least on the back-end. Just how many people do you think would be willing to make a mod for PC and then jump through the extra hoops needed for it to work on console toasters with a smaller install base? And not even get paid? Or is the closed and controlled nature of the console system just ripe for exploiting in another way by making people pay for mods in an environment where the users are used to getting fucked over anyway?

Console mods are going to be a joke in one way or another.

And "wonderous revolution" and "console" being in the same sentence is making me chuckle all over. Remember when X-bone was trying to "revolutionize" the way we see T.V.? BWAHA!