Fallout Boy

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
Fallout Boy

Sean Sands is a dinosaur. No wonder he doesn't like Fallout 3.

Read Full Article

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I honestly don't understand. I've been a fallout fanboy for a good 10 years, been anticipating this game for about that long. My expectations were high, and I counted down every second waiting for the release. And you know what? I wasn't only happy with the game, I was impressed. Sure, it's not the same top-down turn based game that it was before. But you know what? I have a hard time believing that they could pull that off any better than what they did, given the current state of gaming. The bottom line is, what made the Fallout games in the past were the choices, the interactions, the way things took shape around you as you progressed. The humor, the gritty mature theme, and the sense of despair. At least for me. And I found all those things, in this game. Hell, I still haven't finished exploring.

And don't get me wrong, I know what you mean when you say that maybe the era you were hoping for in gaming is long gone, that our time has passed. But you know what? After the endless stream of the same ole bullshit games, the lack of depth, the false promises of games with choices and endless paths to take, a game like Fallout 3 is quite refreshing. Something you can really sink your teeth into. It isn't perfect, but all things considered, I wasn't let down in any way.

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
I think Fallout 3 would be good if it wasn't so badly written.Among the bigger plotholes,at times, the game seems to assume that you have a deep knowledge of Fallout universe while at the same time is very dumbed down and obviously catered to console players who most definitely never played the prequels. Case in point: It is never actually explained what the G.E.C.K. does and while fans will know all about it and the power it holds, to your average player it's just an annoying fetch quest on par with retrieving the violin. Another example - the Enclave. To people who don't know about their genocidal tendencies in Fallout 2, there's nothing inheritably bad about the organisation and there's no reason why your father refused to let them take over...maybe his Karma Sense was tingling or something? I really wish there was an Autumn ending because he was the only genuinely interesting character and he's ending would've been a somewhat grey compromise between the two.

And please don't get me started on the worst ending ever...

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
i too, played and loved the original Fallout games - even Tactics! - and i loved Fallout 3 as well... no, it wasn't perfect, but i don't think i've ever played a perfect game... yes, the ending could have been better, but it's not about the destination, it's about the journey - and what a journey it was!

Fallout 3 is just as much a rightful heir as one could ask for... Pip-Boy? check... rad scorpions? check... quasi-turn-based combat (a la Tactics)? check.... pitch-black humor? again, check....

i think all the fanboys need to make a reality check... games have come long way since Fallout first graced our monitors... no one really wants a top-down, isometric turn-based game any more... and how has this newest iteration been dumbed down exactly? i see that term being thrown around an awful lot, but no one seems to back it up with, you know, actual evidence...

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
Fallout is a good game give Bethesda that as can suck you in but always with them I find get past halfway mark in main plot and then always goes tits up. Some of side quest are marvellous and attention to detail very few can match but need to hire a novelist or writer of some pedigree as ones have just cannot tell a tale.
I just hoping the more talented modders out their redo the main quest for the community how it should be done. Mainly everything after first enclave encounter with main story as just went down hill from their and saw where was going rest them way.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
I never really felt any danger after say, level 10. I could just stimpack my way through just about any fight.

That's what they really have to work on--making combat at level 20 as exciting as it was at level 2.
I agree, however I'd like to add that it was the same with Fallout 1&2, heck getting Power Armor alone made you pretty much invincible already.

At this point in time I really have only 2 issues with Fallout 3:

- Ending needs a revamp badly.
- Engine/bugfixes.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
klc0100 said:
Fallout 3 is not a bad game.

It's just not that great.
Im not the only one?
I will say that I think Oblivion was much better. You could just sit there with the V.A.T.S. and get head shots and never take a lick of damage.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Given that they're revamping the ending and eliminating the level cap for their March DLC (Broken Steel), and adding to the game with the rest of their DLC, I don't see the ending being a big problem soon. Yes I know, "they should've put it in there to begin with" but to be honest I kind of like them forcing the decision they did on us at the end, but can understand why people would hate it

In any event the fact that people look back on Fallout Tactics now and think it's a pretty good game, in contrast with when it came out and them complaining about how it wrecked canon, I think people will eventually mellow on Fallout 3, and if not, well it's not going to dampen my enjoyment of the game.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I never finished F3. The art direction is absolutely sublime (interiors as well as landscapes look amazing!), and treking through the wasteland, getting into firefights with raiders was great fun for a while. However, the acting and writing is piss-poor compared to F1 and 2. Actually, playing F3 made me want to revisit F2 rather than play on, and that's what I did.

I'd say Bethesda needs to restructure a bit. Replace people at a few positions. As it stands they seem to have some of the best and some of the worst working for them, so there's a lot of room for improvement. I wish reviewers weren't so bloody lenient. What incentive is there for a company to improve their product if reviewers hand them perfect scores for imperfect products :(

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
I havent finished the game yet as I find thr forums feelings on it troubling. The only thing I have issue with thus far is the Tenpenny Tower Ghoul quest, there are three possible solutions and as far as I can see only one positive one, as two have the same outcome. Finding this out after spending hours seeking to find a happy medium it smacks of lazy programming.

Hope thats no spoiler, I did enjoy the nods to Lovecraft, the republic of dave etc. It to me is a great Fallout game perfectly in keeping with the setting, even if some of the buildings full of ghouls were a little reminiscent of caves in Oblivion.

Some parts were genuinely scary, in an unsettling way. Dunwhich Tower for example, is shall say no more.

If you find it too easy, use beam weapons and nothing but from the first time you get them, walking into a firefight with about 200 energy cells and a feeling of self confidence rapidly turns into a rock laser light show and a deep rooted feeling that you need a hunting rifle.

Im hoping the DLC is for the 360 as well though as I would hate to feel like the poor relation!

Saltiness

Dec 3, 2007
Yog Sothoth said:
Fallout 3 is just as much a rightful heir as one could ask for... Pip-Boy? check... rad scorpions? check... quasi-turn-based combat (a la Tactics)? check.... pitch-black humor? again, check....

i think all the fanboys need to make a reality check... games have come long way since Fallout first graced our monitors... no one really wants a top-down, isometric turn-based game any more... and how has this newest iteration been dumbed down exactly? i see that term being thrown around an awful lot, but no one seems to back it up with, you know, actual evidence...
Ah, the good ole "omg why do you want a carbon copy of a game from 1998" statement. Banded about as often as the good ole "Bethsoft dumbed down the game for consoles". One of these statements is true, and the other one is pure retardation. Guess which one is which.

But to give you a basic overview of what dumbing down in Fallout generally is; REGRESSION.

From removal of traits, skills and overall reduction of importance of stats, you have a game that requires less thought input to play the game. Thus, it has been dumbed down. Whilst there was indeed several things that should've been addressed in both traits (ie: balance) and skills (making some skills more applicable), it was unfortunately decided that doing it properly was far too hard and they may as well just remove them totally. Stats are... non-essential in Fallout 3, with very little over-bearing affects to alot of your abilities, with the ability to garner so many skill points throughout the game and maxing *alot* of them just shows how shallow the character system alone has been made.

Have I mentioned MINI-GAMES? YAY LOLLZAR! Thank christ they're better then that dialogue wheel shit from Oblivion.

Of course, then you also come down to simple interface dumbing down, things like Oblivions retarded quest compass make a wonderful return, along with Oblivions woeful menu navigation and who could forget the dialogue font. Good god. Basically, Oblivion was a dumbed down system of TES, and since they thought those things were good design decisions because modern media tend to be too spineless to tell them they're not good design decisions, you get them ported over to the next victim. You know why so many games have those shitty quick time events? Because people were too busy pandering to tell them that it sucks.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
"Hope thats no spoiler, I did enjoy the nods to Lovecraft, the republic of dave etc. It to me is a great Fallout game perfectly in keeping with the setting, even if some of the buildings full of ghouls were a little reminiscent of caves in Oblivion."

Since Dark Corners of the Earth it seems like every nod to Lovecraft more resembles spittle :p

"If you find it too easy, use beam weapons and nothing but from the first time you get them, walking into a firefight with about 200 energy cells and a feeling of self confidence rapidly turns into a rock laser light show and a deep rooted feeling that you need a hunting rifle."

You can also play with the controls set to reverse, or play with your eyes closed. That would also make the game harder. :p

Personally I didn't think the game was too easy, but that was because I made a useless build based around unarmed combat. Had I known it was useless I never would've. It was great in earlier games :(

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Meh, I loved Fallout 2, but Fallout 3 had everything I liked about that game in it. An Isometric view, and hex tiles do not a game make.

The true hallmark of a Fallout game is a feeling that I'm never confined to doing things one way. I can talk, fight, sneak, steal, shoot, sex or ignore my way out of any problem. Fallout 3 was pretty good about letting me do all that. I can only think of a handful of times when I HAD to do it their way.

And believe me, when it came to those moments, I was usually wanted to break my controller in frustration. But when I'm just walking along and some Talon Mercs are tossing down laser fire at some Super Mutant Masters, and it's completely up to me how I tackle it, I can't help but grin

Sure, the easy route might be to just talk to the Family. But if proper tactics and caution can let you take them out one by one, why not try that too?

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I can't help but feel like people actually read this, and pretty much just came in here with their copy pasted "is Fallout 3 a good fallout game or not?" argument.

I can't help but think what the public reaction to Fallout 3 would have been if it was renamed "Fallout: DC" or something.