Fallout Fan Takes On Bethesda's Lawyers

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011

This 'ill be fun!

Watch this space.

I brought popcorn, in case y'all want any.

Matthew94 said:
I wonder what the fallout of this case will be. I want him to win just for the lolz.

Congratulations. Your post is now art. Funny art.

Teh Jammah

Nov 13, 2010
Sandytimeman said:
It won't be long before they start suing people with 'the' in the title because it infringes on their copyright of "the elder scrolls"
Nah, they're gonna sue Games Workshop, because someone might see an Eldar codex and think it was somehow related to TES

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
And people think Bethesda aren't just another money hugging faceless business?

If they weren't then they would have made sure shit like this didn't happen again.
Agreed.

As much as I love their games, Bethesda has been a real dick of a company lately.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
If Bethesda wins, it puts any wallpaper site offering wallpapers featuring anything from a Beth IP at risk.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Screamarie said:
Yeah, I don't know whether to cheer for Anderson or not...but what I don't understand is is he making money off the fallout posters? Cause if he is then, yeah, Bethesda has every right to sue.

If he's not and it's just like a gallery of art then I think Bethesda is taking it too far.
Looks to be just a wallpaper site. Which isn't illegal. If what he claims is true and he CREATED the images in replica of those in the games, then bethesda needs to piss off. If he copied them, thats not fair use. That's technically illegal.

Cool captcha: London Calling!

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
NLS said:
1. Protecting the Fallout IP. If the website and service is "too good", consumers may confuse it with say, an official product by Bethesda.
The only possible way you could tell this was an official Bethesda poster would be if it blew a hole in your wall when you put it up.

Buggy poster is buggy.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
Tanis said:
I don't like it when game companies act like jerks.

There's a reason why I only buy used games from several publishers/developers.
Yeah, you're really sticking it to... um... hundreds of developers, artists, and writers who don't make enough money as is?

And you're giving that money to Gamestop...

That'll show... someone?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I cannot applaud loud enough for this. This is EXACTLY what should be happening.

If someone does not stand up and fight against forms of corporate bullshit when they occur they will never change.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
I went to that site and can't see any adverts, so can't see how he could be making money off them, so I'd say as long as he wasn't simply copying stuff directly from the game Bethesda should get off their damn high horse.

Besides, did Bethesda not see the fine print at the bottom stating the site is not officially affiliated with Bethesda?

It's probably a conspiracy, but what if Bethesda are doing this just so they can launch their own Fallout poster site using that URL?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Some of the people in this thread probably think there's such a thing as 'wasting your vote' because you're just one person and/or a vote for ANYONE ELSE is a really a vote for 'the other guy'.

The only language corporations know is money.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Unless the guy was making money out of this somehow I don't get really what he's done wrong. So what if he's got pictures of Fallout posters on the site? Google's probably got thousands of them. Would these lawyers give it a rest already, please.

Apr 5, 2008
Seriously Bethesda? Come on, please stop this nonsense. You're one of very few companies left within the industry to whom fans still generally bear good will. This legal nonsense (which is the only kind of nonsense we ever seem to hear associated with you ("Scrolls" anyone?)) reflects very poorly on you. Infringing copyright and making money off your IP is one thing, hosting some fan-art is not even remotely close.

Grow up, tuck your shirt in and get on with my Skyrim expansion, you will be forgiven.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Something seems fishy about this. As paranoid as Bethesda's legal department is, I can't imagine them making such big pricks out of themselves for something like this. There's some missing information here, there must be.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
His posters look awfully similar to the ones in-game. The "corporate espionage" one from FNV especially. I hope they come to a deal where he gives them 20-30% profits as royalty and thus is allowed to keep trading the merchandise, because that's what it is.

If Bethesda do win, they really should give him some free stuff as a gesture of good will. He is promoting their games, albeit making money out of that.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Screamarie said:
Yeah, I don't know whether to cheer for Anderson or not...but what I don't understand is is he making money off the fallout posters? Cause if he is then, yeah, Bethesda has every right to sue.

If he's not and it's just like a gallery of art then I think Bethesda is taking it too far.
They're 100% free, he's not making a profit.

Matthew94 said:
I wonder what the fallout of this case will be. I want him to win just for the lolz.
Be careful there, you might get sued. You don't have the amount of money that Notch has to fight back.

Master-Jedi

Mar 9, 2010
I agree with the people who think something else is going on that we don't know about. I mean, there are entire websites devoted to TES mods. Not to mention a entire game built from oblivion as a mod. I'm not trying to defend big corporations or Bethesda or anything, I just don't see why they would bother with that website otherwise. At least with the Mojang thing it made since why they would make a big deal out of it.