Fallout Games Yanked From GoG Due To Rights Issues

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Twenty Ninjas said:
Holy shit I was about to commence frantic downloading when I read the title. Good thing they're still available if you got them.

Having finished Fallout 1 yesterday due to GOG's huge generosity, I was really thankful for the offer. In fact I think I'm going to end the year with a Fallout 2 gaming marathon. For old times' sake.
If its your first time playing fallout 2, please check the NoMutantsallowed for patches.

The game is glitchy as hell, but that website has brilliant game fixing and enhancing patches

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
Covarr said:
Wasn't this exactly the reason they gave it away in the first place?

P.S. Thanks
I thought it was one final "screw you" to Bethesda from Interplay and Bethesda is punishing GoG for facilitating the event or something.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
This is a BS "news" story. The headline reads like this was unexpected, but it was not unexpected. Headline reads like older Fallout Games are gone for good, but they are not. At worst, Bethesda will do a re-release of them to be sold in stores for a year and then start selling them again online (probably through GoG, but maybe through Steam as well).

I will say the DRM-free bit is probably the greatest loss. But I do not make many purchase decision based on DRM (except for SimCity, worst DRM ever).

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Good thing I ninja'd these a few weeks ago. Haven't even installed yet but they'll chunk up my PC backlog nicely.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I got the freebies, and actually still have the disc copies. Give me a hard copy over digital distribution any day. This is one of the very best series from the Black Isle era crpg, and simply a must play title for anyone that enjoys a good role playing game. A shame it's off of GOG's catalog.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
I imagine that I can expect to see Bethesda to recycle the first two games into more ultimately bland, boring and kinda disappointing sandbox titles.

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
Kheapathic said:
Trishbot said:
Meanwhile, when Capcom's license expires, they see it as a means to hold a big sales event to milk their fans with more on-disc DLC content instead of just, you know, unlocking that content...

Still can't believe Jill and Shuma-Gorath are forever locked on some players discs now, unable to get the unlock key because they were tagged as "DLC" by Capcom's marketing...
You know that's more Marvel (Disney), Capcom probably wouldn't have cared but the characters in the game are licensed from Marvel/Disney. I still have a hard time believing they did it to Jill as she's a Capcom character, but since she's part of the MvC package they probably had to throw her out as well. Yes they're gone but if you were able to download them, you still can in the future. They even lowered the price for Jill, Shuma, and the Digital Version of UMvC3, so if people missed out it's on them. The flip side of that is they pulled a fast one by announcing it in short form and when their own fucking tournament was going on. I doubt it was all their fault, but they sure as hell didn't make an effort to let people know.
I paid full price for a MvC. As far as I'm concerned they can fuck themselves for not giving me the entire game i paid for. Especially after fucking me about by then bringing out an "ultimate MvC"

No. Not good enough. Never good enough. They are bold face ripping people off and there is no excuse. Ever.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
I've had the disks for these three for 5+ years. While I have yet to put them back on my PC, I regard them to be very solid games and happy to have them in my collection. While I was a bit disappointed it wasn't "Wasteland II" when Fallout 1 came out, but I still revere these as some of the best games in my collection. A solid system of mechanics, an interesting backdrop and great story.

Well, almost.

I found Fallout to be the best of them, and while the timer could ruin the game for you, I find it stands out best because Black Isle didn't let Chris Avellone run away with them.

Fallout 2 had great improvements, but their decision to include Animaniacs references (among other things, like say, Magic: The Gathering) slapped a date on what should have been a timeless classic. While it was hardly bad enough to ruin the game, it was a bit of annoyance that hung in the back of my head. Especially after meeting "Pinky and the Brain."

Fallout Tactics also had improvements over the other two. I loved being able to use cover and elevations, but it was just a collection of scenarios. It was fun to play through a second time a few years ago, but I did wish they had a bit more than it just being a PvP oriented game with a bunch of maps and some flavor tacked on to it; although I admit the flavor was pretty well done. I noticed that this game pretty much failed with this idea in spite of PvP starting to be popular at the time.

On Topic: (Geez, wrote all that and realized I didn't make an on topic comment)
It's a shame something couldn't have been worked out. These are excellent titles and doesn't even Interplay or EA get some benefit out of this? I can't remember what happened to the licensing of this title once Black Isle closed down. Probably because I have the disks.

Feb 24, 2011
Longstreet said:
Luckily i got em during the free give away. I do love my free stuff.

Tried playing the first one once, got my ass kicked by a bunch of rats.
get high agility and be sure to use VATS when you shoot the nasty buggers.
I recommend you look for the deathclaw den somewhere in the game, it's all kinds of horrible!

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Laurents van Cauwenberghe said:
Longstreet said:

I recommend you look for the deathclaw den somewhere in the game, it's all kinds of horrible!

I HAVE played other fallout games (that is 3 and NV) and usually i follow this simple rule

Stay the fuck away from deathclaws unless you have a really "this will fuck you up" gun. This goes especially for den's.
Although there was an addendum to this rule in NV, avoid cazadores like the plague.

Anyway, sorry to tell you, i won't be taking the latter part of your advice.

Feb 24, 2011
Longstreet said:
Longstreet said:

I HAVE played other fallout games (that is 3 and NV) and usually i follow this simple rule

Stay the fuck away from deathclaws unless you have a really "this will fuck you up" gun. This goes especially for den's.
Although there was an addendum to this rule in NV, avoid cazadores like the plague.

Anyway, sorry to tell you, i won't be taking the latter part of your advice.
tbh, you should see Fallout 1,2&tactics as a different series than 3&NV.
Deathclaws are way worse in the classics!
but they atleast give good exp, a sense of satisfaction when you kill them and they should have loot.
Let me give this piece of advice then, the time limit isn't as important as the game makes it out to be and be sure to explore everything in towns, there's usually a lot of great hidden stuff.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I figured the fact that Interplay was losing the rights to it was why they were giving it away free on GOG.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Longstreet said:
...Stay the fuck away from deathclaws unless you have a really "this will fuck you up" gun...
Agreed. The Gatling laser or Fat Man will make short work of them though. Or if you dare to go into their sanctuary you can find the Vengeance in the southeast section - it packs 220 - 331 DPS (Depending on perks) which should make getting back out a cakewalk

EDIT: If you want overkill see if you can find the experimental MIRV

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Deathclaws are way worse in the classics!
Don't remind me. >.<
Fallout 2 was my first Fallout game and those...those evil little demons were enough to make me rage quit the game for a bit. Then when 3 came out and I saw one the memories from Fallout 2 game back, but then I found out that Deathclaws were real pansies in that game. Come New Vegas I thought, eh if Bethesda had part in it then they'll be piss easy again. But then I got killed by some Young Deathclaws and remembered that some of the team from Obsidian who worked on New Vegas were once from Black Isle...and then the memories were truly realized for a bit. :D