Fallout: New Vegas Cosplayer Walks Through Town in Costume, Police are Called

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Fallout: New Vegas Cosplayer Walks Through Town in Costume, Police are Called

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1398/1398432.jpgOne Canadian Fallout: New Vegas cosplayer ended up being confronted by the police after his costume alarmed some people last week.

When you're going to get your Fallout: New Vegas costume altered, it's probably best not to wear it as you walk to the tailor. That's what one Canadian cosplayer found out last week.

According to CBC News [http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmonton/grande-prairie-cosplay-1.4070387], the unnamed cosplayer was walking through the city of Grand Prairie in Alberta, Canada dressed in a long cost, gas mask, helmet, armor, and a bullet belt. He was also carrying a New California Republic flag. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police received a number of calls from citizens who were worried that the man was wearing a bomb strapped to his back.

As you can imagine, this prompted a rapid police response, with at least eight officers responding. Photos show them in cover with rifles in hand. RCMP Cpl. Shawn Graham said, "He was observed going into a business, so the RCMP members were able to safely remove the staff members from the business."

The business the man entered was Lynn's Alterations, where he was having work done on the costume he was wearing. After contacting the owner and asking if he could see any wires on the individual, police asked the owner to exit the business by the back door. They then made contact with the cosplayer, and after talking with him, "were able to determine that he was wearing a costume and there was no threat to the public." The man was taken into custody and then released without any charge being filed.

The silver tubes that some callers had mistaken for bombs were actually Pringles potato chip cans that were painted silver.

Graham said, "We have to believe everything is real until proven otherwise. In the end you've got a good feeling after going, 'OK, there wasn't a bomb, there was no intent to do anything criminal, it's just someone with their costume.'" He also offered a warning to other cosplayers, saying, "There's a time and a place for it," such as conventions and other events, but "Wandering around downtown [is] maybe not the place to do it."

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
I... yeah, that's kinda... unsurprising. The whole 'trench coat and gas-mask' thing really should've been a good tip-off for the guy to go 'hang on, I should wear something that lets people know I'm just a cosplayer and not some Anarchist fire-bomber or something'. A fluro-vest or a little sign with 'COSPLAY/COSTUME' printed on it goes a long way to stop police strike teams being called on you.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
you cant do that sort of thing these days without getting that sort of response.. my serious response out of the way..

intimidating annexed candian civilians in the uniform of a desert ranger -500 karma

now im wondering what the response would of been if he was wearing power armour cosplay

Sep 24, 2008
As much as I'm for freedom of expression... Yeah, this was done for a response. If he just wanted the costume altered, he could have easily brought it in a duffel bag. Or not wear the mask. Or even hell, don't carry the flag while wearing the costume.

Now, I don't think this was done for such a ballistic response, but when you aim to elict emoitions, you seldom know if you're going to get the emotions you hoped for

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well...that's unfortunate. Credit where credit is due though, that is a pretty damn good cosplay.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
If he honestly couldn't see people having a problem with a guy walking down the street apparently wearing a gas mask, armour, long coat and a bullet belt, well, what can I say but to call him an idiot?
It's not even like he was even at a convention at the time...

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Well I guess that the fascist fashion police does really exist indeed.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Is it too mean to say it's a good thing he wasn't here in 'Merica or he might have just been shot? :D

#PoliticalHumor #DarkHumor #SorryNotSorry :p

Redvenge

Oct 14, 2014
TrulyBritish said:
If he honestly couldn't see people having a problem with a guy walking down the street apparently wearing a gas mask, armour, long coat and a bullet belt, well, what can I say but to call him an idiot?
Well, actual suicide bombers/terrorist don't call this much attention to themselves. If they did, it would be much easier to catch them.

I understand why civilians were concerned, but the whole thing is beyond ridiculous. It's clearly amateur hour with the RMCP. God help you Canadians if an actual terrorist group decides they want to hurt you. Hopefully, they will wear bright red shirts that say "TERRORIST" on it, so the RMCP know what to look for.

LTenhet

Jun 26, 2012
I think we're all ignoring one crucial detail. LOOK AT THAT MANS SWAGGER. Clearly the swagger of evil!

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Wrex Brogan said:
I... yeah, that's kinda... unsurprising. The whole 'trench coat and gas-mask' thing really should've been a good tip-off for the guy to go 'hang on, I should wear something that lets people know I'm just a cosplayer and not some Anarchist fire-bomber or something'. A fluro-vest or a little sign with 'COSPLAY/COSTUME' printed on it goes a long way to stop police strike teams being called on you.
Too much a new vegas man to not point this out but yo its a duster cause this was an outfit designed for desert operations

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
Is it too mean to say it's a good thing he wasn't here in 'Merica or he might have just been shot? :D
Skin tone might alter the precise response...

But yeah, bit of a muppet to stroll around like that and not expect a response of some kind.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Redvenge said:
TrulyBritish said:
Well, actual suicide bombers/terrorist don't call this much attention to themselves. If they did, it would be much easier to catch them.

I understand why civilians were concerned, but the whole thing is beyond ridiculous. It's clearly amateur hour with the RMCP. God help you Canadians if an actual terrorist group decides they want to hurt you. Hopefully, they will wear bright red shirts that say "TERRORIST" on it, so the RMCP know what to look for.
To be fair, people unaware of FNV seeing that getup might feel a little scared or at least unnerved... and on the other hand of your argument it only takes one person to cosplay-suicide bomb for it to be a thing. I mean I absolutely agree with you that suicide bombers or mass shooters and terrorists alike usually do not call attention to themselves prior to the incident, but at some point someone will end up dressing up in something outlandish to do such a thing, law of averages and all. I can see why a police force would err on the side of caution, and all.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Redvenge said:
TrulyBritish said:

To be fair, people unaware of FNV seeing that getup might feel a little scared or at least unnerved... and on the other hand of your argument it only takes one person to cosplay-suicide bomb for it to be a thing. I mean I absolutely agree with you that suicide bombers or mass shooters and terrorists alike usually do not call attention to themselves prior to the incident, but at some point someone will end up dressing up in something outlandish to do such a thing, law of averages and all. I can see why a police force would err on the side of caution, and all.
There already was the shooting at a movie theater by a guy dressed as the Joker in 2012.

OT: Going out dressed like this outside of a convention is going to cause questions, particularly with something that looks like a gas mask and body armor. This guy is an idiot.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
LostCrusader said:
There already was the shooting at a movie theater by a guy dressed as the Joker in 2012.

OT: Going out dressed like this outside of a convention is going to cause questions, particularly with something that looks like a gas mask and body armor. This guy is an idiot.
y'know, I don't think he was dressed as the Joker, just claiming to be the Joker... with orange hair... IIRC he was dressed in tactical gear.

Redvenge

Oct 14, 2014
I mean I absolutely agree with you that suicide bombers or mass shooters and terrorists alike usually do not call attention to themselves prior to the incident, but at some point someone will end up dressing up in something outlandish to do such a thing, law of averages and all. I can see why a police force would err on the side of caution, and all.
Looking at world wide statistics, terrorists and suicide bombers are men, over the age of 16 and wear unassuming clothing and backpacks. So, if we are going to check our brains at the door (and we are speaking about LAW ENFORCEMENT, not joe shmoe civilian), then we should be arresting every male over the age of 16 who wears a backpack... because they are statistically more likely to be a terrorist than a dude in a funny outfit.

The whole "it only takes one" is stupid. This is the product of living in fear and shutting our brains off. Nothing more. If Law Enforcement is going to put the problem on the civilian, rather than improving it's backwards methodology, then Canada is totally f*cked.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Redvenge said:
I mean I absolutely agree with you that suicide bombers or mass shooters and terrorists alike usually do not call attention to themselves prior to the incident, but at some point someone will end up dressing up in something outlandish to do such a thing, law of averages and all. I can see why a police force would err on the side of caution, and all.
Looking at world wide statistics, terrorists and suicide bombers are men, over the age of 16 and wear unassuming clothing and backpacks. So, if we are going to check our brains at the door (and we are speaking about LAW ENFORCEMENT, not joe shmoe civilian), then we should be arresting every male over the age of 16 who wears a backpack... because they are statistically more likely to be a terrorist than a dude in a funny outfit.

The whole "it only takes one" is stupid. This is the product of living in fear and shutting our brains off. Nothing more. If Law Enforcement is going to put the problem on the civilian, rather than improving it's backwards methodology, then Canada is totally f*cked.
From a law enforcement point of view, if they get calls from concerned citizens they have to investigate. As the story has stated, they did exactly that, and no untoward detention or harassment has occurred. No tasers, no forceful takedowns, just a standard "ensure the person of interest isn't actually carrying bombs" and release. To be honest, it wasn't exactly the costume so much as the cylinders that looked like pipebombs. That honestly is enough of a concerning feature to warrant the exact response, and maybe more. I'd say they excercised a LOT of restraint, possibly because they figured onsite that the situation wasn't nearly as bad as the call made it out to be after seeing the possible "threat" in person.
I can see there being something here to get up in arms about if there was more violence or severe detention involved rather than what actually occurred and I'll even go so far as to say it probably isn't exactly a smart idea to parade around in a gas mask wearing what could easily be taken for bombs on one's body no matter the actual source of the costume, especially if there isn't a convention going on and it ain't Halloween. And the excuse of taking said costume to a place to get it fitted or whatever is no excuse for wearing it when it could have been transported.
Its not like we're talking about a dude in Boba Fett armor or a Stormtrooper getup. As much as we as gamers would say we can recognize a Fallout New Vegas getup, the average person isn't going to get it. And again, reiterating the whole "things that look like bombs" angle, its very fucking stupid to do.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
It makes me sad that the Mounties don't wear the red jackets, jodhpurs and rangers caps anymore, if only because I find the imagery of a squad of people dressed up like Dudley Do-Right being called in to take on a cosplayer hilarious.