Fallout: New Vegas Dev Obsidian Hiring for Next-Gen Game

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Fallout: New Vegas Dev Obsidian Hiring for Next-Gen Game

Obsidian Entertainment is looking to hire a UI artist responsible for creating a "ground breaking user-experience."

Fallout: New Vegas studio Obsidian Entertainment is now actively hiring for an upcoming next-gen game. This was revealed by a job post on the studio's site [http://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/art/669-ui-artist-2], where it lists Obsidian as looking for a "Junior/Intermediate UI Artist" to "design the user experience for a next generation game." Not only that, but the same artist will be responsible for "creating a ground breaking user-experience, which sounds fascinating.

Odds are, we won't hear about this title for quite some time since Obsidian does have a lot on their plate at the moment. By my count, the studio is finishing work on South Park: The Stick of Truth, developing new Kickstarter campaign [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130426-Project-Eternity-Becomes-Pillars-of-Eternity-Reveals-First-Gameplay-Trailer] this year. Once you factor in this unannounced next-gen game, that means the studio will possibly be working on four games at the same time.

While every on record that they'd love [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131283-Bethesda-Confirms-Yet-Another-Fallout-4-Hoax] another chance to make another chapter in the series.

Obsidian Entertainment's latest game scheduled for release is South Park: The Stick of Truth, which will be out on March 4 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Source: iGameResponsibly [http://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/art/669-ui-artist-2]

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I have zero interest in Fallout 4, but I would kill for another Fallout game from Obsidian. New Vegas sold well, it could happen.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I think 4 projects on the go at one time is the default for Obsidian. I'm pretty sure they mentioned something similar last year with the cancelled Alien RPG and another unannounced cancelled project.

I doubt this is the new Las Vegas. I'm wondering if someone might have paid them to create a new next-gen IP?

RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I have zero interest in Fallout 4, but I would kill for another Fallout game from Obsidian. New Vegas sold well, it could happen.
I'm not quite so down on Fallout 4, I think Bethesda have shown they can at least improve on some of their failings and theoretically restructuring their plots so that they actually fit the type of game they want to make, shouldn't be that hard. But I agree Fallout: Los Angeles would be the better game and I'd be way more interested in it.

But I think Fallout 4 would need to come first. I don't feel like Obsidian is the company who should build the tech and design the combat system, they should be the ones using the tech and polishing the combat (whilst keeping up the usual awesome writing)

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
It's a sad sad day when Obsidian have to be referred to as "Fallout New Vegas studio" instead of their actual name for the editor to believe the reader will know who it is.
I think it's the fact that a new Fallout title has been in the news so much recently due to various hoaxes and rumours that it'll probably help pull in more views.

Especially given that the author was clearly trying to hint that this is somehow related to a new Fallout game towards the end of the article.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I love how the job description is to:

design the user experience for a next generation game
And:

creating a ground breaking user-experience
When it's probably just about making menus for the game. Maybe a HUD at a stretch, they wouldn't want their new employee to be overworked.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Here's hoping they also hire a new person in charge of budgeting their time and money realistically before they sign a contract for this new game.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I'd be more impressed if they were hiring beta testers: New Vegas was the most broken game I've ever played.
Sure I'll play what they're working on...when the "ultimate edition" comes out and its all patched up.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
Alex Co said:
Not only that, but the same artist will be responsible for "creating a ground breaking user-experience", which sounds fascinating.
Okay, my heart kinda took a leap and started fluttering. Whatever it is, I am looking forward to it!

BrotherRool said:
But I think Fallout 4 would need to come first. I don't feel like Obsidian is the company who should build the tech and design the combat system, they should be the ones using the tech and polishing the combat (whilst keeping up the usual awesome writing)
Totally agree. While their gameplay usually isn't bad, it's hardly their biggest strength.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Bah, why couldn't ya ask for a writer? Ah well, I'll wait and see what's in store.

Scootinfroodie

Dec 23, 2013
rhizhim said:
... bugless. thats the ground breaking part for obsidian.
Zero bugs would be a ground-breaking feature of any game released in the past 10 years.
Even "no progression blockers on launch" is a bit of a tall order these days. Content just comes out in such massive quantities so fast and with so many things to test that sometimes what you need is just to toss it out there and see what works. What's concerning is ultimately when the game breaks in the most obvious sense right off the bat, and clearly should have been released a little bit later (though a lot of times this is due to publisher antics, not issues with the devs themselves)

Artea

Jul 9, 2013
They've actually been working on a next-gen game for quite a while. Not sure how this qualifies as news.

Also, Obsidian is a pretty big company, so them working on 3-4 projects at the same time is hardly cause for alarm. Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas and Dungeon Siege III were all released within the same year, I believe.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Mr.Tea said:
FalloutJack said:
Bah, why couldn't ya ask for a writer? Ah well, I'll wait and see what's in store.
I thought it was the general consensus that the main thing Obsidian's games have going for them are their writing...

They've got the writers and designers; They need programmers.
'Twas not a lament made in seriousness, friend. Do not concern yourself with regards to my offhand comment.