Fallout: New Vegas's Huge New Arsenal

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fallout: New Vegas's Huge New Arsenal

With Fallout: New Vegas [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74570], the series returns to the hands of veterans of Black Isle Studios, and they're bringing guns with them - a whole lotta guns.

When Black Isle Studios went under in 2003, taking with it Van Buren - its planned third Fallout - the series found its way over to Bethesda Softworks. There, it turned into a decidedly different Fallout 3; it may have been different, but it was still awesome [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5419-Review-Fallout-3].

With Fallout: New Vegas, a game developed by Obsidian Entertainment - founded by veterans of Black Isle - it seems we've come full circle. The Escapist Editor-in-Chief Russ Pitts got a chance to see New Vegas in action [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/7505-First-Look-at-Fallout-New-Vegas] recently, and one of the new shinies that caught his eye was the game's expanded arsenal.

In the words of Keanu "The Wooden Plank" Reeves, Fallout: New Vegas delivers "guns ... lots of guns." The game will feature twice as many guns as there were in Fallout 3, from some old favorites to some new beauties to ... a golf club. The game includes - but isn't limited to - such new killing implements as:

9-Iron (Fore!)
Grenade Machine Gun (It is what it sounds like.)
Dynamite (In stick form.)
Trail Carbine (A lever-action, rifle.)
Varmint Gun (A small caliber, semi-auto rifle.)
.357 Cowboy Rifle (A Winchester-style lever action gun.)
Plasma Caster (A Fallout 1 & 2 favorite returns.)
9mm Pistol
Grenade Launcher (Death from afar.)
Single-Shot Shotgun (A powerful new scatter gun.)
Caravan Gun (An over-under short barrel, double scatter gun.)

Let's face it, the apocalypse isn't ever going to be a happy place. But even after The End, a place like Las Vegas is still all about shameless gaudiness and freedom to do whatever the hell you feel like doing (remember, what happens in New Vegas stays in New Vegas), and that freedom of expression carries on to your weapons. New Vegas implements the popular Fallout 3 community add-on that let you modify your guns as a core part of the game.

Not only will the modifications - that you can buy from factions like the Gun Runners - affect the performance of your weaponry from energy weapons to explosives, they'll also change how they look. Obsidian may not be going all the way to Army of Two extremes where you can paint your gun in shiny gold and chrome, but there ain't nothing wrong with a little self-expression on your weaponry to set yourself apart from the pack.

All this is just the very tip of the iceberg - New Vegas is a huge game, and we're barely scraping the surface. Head on over to the full preview of New Vegas [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/7505-First-Look-at-Fallout-New-Vegas] to see more of what's to come!

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
The more weapons, the better!

I can't wait to hit someone with the golf club...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Just give me them sooner, unlike FO3, which took metagame knowledge or luck to find good big guns or energy weapons early.

Small Guns is practical, but really generic and boring.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
I wonder if the railway rifle returns.

Someone (on here) once said it was nicknamed "Choo-Choo Murder".

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
They've combined Small Guns and Big Guns into just, Guns, I believe. Or so i've heard.

So it's Guns, Energy Weapons, Explosives, Melee, etc...

Coaxill

Dec 22, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Just give me them sooner, unlike FO3, which took metagame knowledge or luck to find good big guns or energy weapons early.

Fallout 3 was also a bad game that was made by Bethesda.
The developers of New Vegas have some experience with making good RPGs so my hopes are high.

Coaxill

Dec 22, 2009
Insanum said:

Considering it's not being made by Bethesda, I doubt it. I also hope they ignore fallout 3 in this game because I personally don't consider it canon.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

There were no good guns in FO3. I found them all really boring. Instead of busting some skulls, I was using "whatever was most appropriate to the situation". Which is terrible. I don't like "appropriate"

I hope they bring back the names, too. Fallout 3's weapon names weren't exactly inspiring. Assault rifle. Chinese assault rifle. And item descriptions. (Thank god for mods)

Will there be modding tools for New Vegas? I'd miss them, but I can see them not being there, what with two pretty different game modes, and it being by Obsidian instead of Bethesda.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
This is...This is just great...

I can't really describe how awsome this is too me...

More guns....*Drool*

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
Coaxill said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

The developers of New Vegas have some experience with making good RPGs so my hopes are high.
dont be a dick fallout 3 was a good game.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
The fact that you can modify the majority of weapons is awesome. I got myself a Hunting Rifle early on in Fallout 3 and it felt so much better than every other weapon. The design was was brilliantly battered and brutal (duct tape FTW), it sounded pretty good and had some great animations.

The problem is it was a pretty weak piece of shit when it came down to it, especially when I was in to the late teens. If I can stick with it and continue to improve it as the game goes on without crippling myself I'll be a very happy wastelander.

I also LOVE that the unique weapons all have their own designs. I've only seen the special 9mm pistol but it looks sick.

[img/]http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100504193516/fallout/images/thumb/1/19/9mmUnique.jpg/800px-9mmUnique.jpg[/img]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Lots of user friendly guns there...the Dynamite looks fun!

lasersandbearsohno

Nov 8, 2009
AngryMongoose said:
That's not... That many guns.

I played Borderlands...

And Fallout 3 with mods.
Borderlands didn't have that many guns. You had like three different snipers with different stats and mods. 90% of the variety was just differentiation.
Coaxill said:
Insanum said:

Considering it's not being made by Bethesda, I doubt it. I also hope they ignore fallout 3 in this game because I personally don't consider it canon.
Fallout 3 may not be the most cannon to the first two, but people who priped about it <<< people who liked and paid for it. so it should rightly lean towards fallout 3. I said lean, not be completely, but definitely lean.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
wasalp said:
Coaxill said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

dont be a dick fallout 3 was a good game.
dont be a dick people have opinions.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
TsunamiWombat said:
They've combined Small Guns and Big Guns into just, Guns, I believe. Or so i've heard.

So it's Guns, Energy Weapons, Explosives, Melee, etc...
I hope you're wrong. It would make more sense to discard energy weapons as seperate skill and only have "small guns" and "big guns"

I always found it puzzling why Fallout had that skill distinction over what is basically just the type of projectile. If they want to go that way they might as well have distinguished "Missile Weapons" and "Grenade Weapons".

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
dont be a dick people have opinions.[/quote]
Ahh you ninja, I was gonna say that >=]

Is it too much to ask for 200 guns? I want 200 guns. And I want to carry them all at once, with ammo.

Or I'll just use stick dynamite. Yeah that sounds good.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
AngryMongoose said:
That's not... That many guns.

I played Borderlands...

And Fallout 3 with mods.
Maybe if you'd read the article in full before commenting, you might have seen the neat little bit that says "The game includes - but isn't limited to - such new killing implements as."

Typically, at least in my version of the English language, that the list underneath it wasn't a complete list.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Please bring back the Pancor Jackhammer from Fallout 2 and Tactics.

This thing doesn't even use shotgun shells. It just shoots pure manliness.