Fallout: Shadows of Boston Shows Up on IMDB

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Fallout: Shadows of Boston Shows Up on IMDB

The Internet Movie Database suddenly includes a listing for a brand new, probably fake, Fallout sequel.

These Fallout hoaxes are getting a little old [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130324-Fallout-4-Teaser-Site-Is-A-Hoax], but every time a new one pops up, I automatically get excited. Though, to be safe, I'm just going to assume this new rumor is completely false, and you should too.

Yesterday, a Reddit user, whose account has been suspiciously deleted, Fallout: Shadows of Boston [http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1x2dfv/new_fallout_announcement_leaked_fallout_shadows/]. The cast list includes Fallout alums like Ron Pearlman and Paul Eiding, but introduces a couple of new actors like Charles Martinet, who's been the voice of Mario since 1991.

As far as I can tell, whoever created the entry randomly selected a series of cast members who have an affiliation with the Fallout series or a general connection to the video game industry. Unfortunately, that's not how Bethesda has made casting decisions in the past. Most of the characters in New Vegas were voiced by well-known actors like Matthew Perry, Kris Kristofferson, and Zachary Levi. And Fallout 3's cast included Liam Neeson and Malcolm McDowell. So, without some actual star power, Shadows of Boston has a fictitious ring.

Adding a new record to IMDb isn't exactly difficult. And given Fallout's recent history of hoaxes, I'm throwing this rumor into the bogus bin with the others.

Plus, can we all agree that Shadows of Boston would be the lamest title in history?

Source: Reddit [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3508502/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1]

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Yeah, as the above mentioned, regardless of any other suspicious bits in the entry, "Shadows of Boston" is a hilariously lame subtitle that Bethesda would never bother to use.

zalithar

Apr 22, 2013
Are you forgetting such terrible titles as 'Revengence,' and 'Warfighter?' Shadows of Boston is terrible name though.

On the topic of the title's authenticity, yeah it's a fake.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
You know, until we stop making a news story out of every single Fallout hoax, we're not going to stop seeing hoaxes. All these people want is attention, and we should really stop giving it to them...

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Here we go again...

*grabs popcorn*

I happily await the outrage when this turns out to be fake.

Parshooter

Sep 13, 2009
Its a hoax in all likelihood but if Bethesda did go the subtitle route they might appease fans who were pissed that there was nothing in Fallout 3 that had to do with the original Fallout. The could even pull Lucas and rename Fallout 3, Fallout: Rusted Capital before letting Chris and co or Brian Fargo make a real Fallout 3.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Shocksplicer said:
You know, until we stop making a news story out of every single Fallout hoax, we're not going to stop seeing hoaxes. All these people want is attention, and we should really stop giving it to them...
Or Bethesda could stop adhering to the game dev code of unnecessary silence and just reveal they're working on a new Fallout game.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Shocksplicer said:
Refuse to report a hoax? Surely you jest! This is a news outlet, and their job is to fall for hoaxes!

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
That title is just terrible. In the very, very, very unlikely chance this is real, they need to consider changing it. Other than that this is clearly fake and rather poorly made one at that.

Adraeus

Sep 6, 2013
Josh Engen said:
Adding a new record to IMDb isn't exactly difficult.
Since when? I've been trying to get badly outdated information on my profile merely changed for, I don't know, 10 years.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Other names that are just as bad as shadows of boston:
Fallout: Brotherhood
Fallout: Apocalyptic War
Fallout: Brand New World
Fallout: Return of the Enclave
Fallout: New E.D.E.N.
Fallout: The South Rises
Fallout: Fallout
F.A.L.L.O.U.T.
F4LLOUT
FALL0UT

There you go Bethesda.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
zalithar said:
Are you forgetting such terrible titles as 'Revengence,' and 'Warfighter?' Shadows of Boston is terrible name though.

On the topic of the title's authenticity, yeah it's a fake.
I wish to take this opportunity to remind everyone that Revengence is actually a real word and not made up. And for confusing everyone in that way, it gets plenty of points.

Yeah. This one is fake. There's no discussion.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
I can come up with a much better than that easily

Fallout: Visible War

Done!

Seriously I think this might be a hoax

zalithar

Apr 22, 2013
Ftaghn To You Too said:
I wish to take this opportunity to remind everyone that Revengence is actually a real word and not made up. And for confusing everyone in that way, it gets plenty of points.
Yeah they're both real words; and both of them are incredibly stupid. Though another terrible title, that I only heard about from game grumps a while back, was "Totally Rad."

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
another day, another hoax. I am okay with arseholes making up fake announcements for stuff i like, i mean people have been doing it with half life 3 for so long now that I've started enjoying seeing the fake trailers and release dates. But when you make it so vague and on top of that give it a name even the most pretentious of pretentious indi film director wouldn't name their worst picture, and make the release date so stupidly far away then it's hard to even delude myself in to believing it. 2017 my as, New Vegas and Skyrim came out in 2010/2011 and if i know one thing about Bethesda it's that they like money and won't wait 7 years to get it.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Next Fallout will be Fallout: Dudebro sergeant master leader of important people IV.

I mean come on, at least that is more creative than shadows of bostson. Also, the east coast is boring compared to what other parts of the nation deal with.

They'll probably run the Enclave into the ground like they ran the blades into the ground in the Elder Scrolls. I wonder if Bethesda knows that Fallout doesn't follow prophecies 24/7 like the Elder Scrolls. It seems like they romanticize everything into some ancient prophecy. It gets kinda old.

I would wait for a Bethesda game that isn't bound by prophecy, but I'd be waiting for a long time.
this, especially since NV did a nice job of showing that the old powerhouses have been replaced by new powers that emerged from the new world. the whole idea that the MIT turned into some high end enclave(no pun intended) that is not a vault is nice but i honestly don't trust bethesda to not turn the whole thing into some kind of nice BoS, ideally with a supercomputer that sends you on a mission because it calculated the future or something.

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
Fallout: Shadows of Boston sounds about as foreboding as Fallout: Depths of Wisconsin.