Fallout - The Movie

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Isaac Dodgson said:
...I wonder if Uwe Boll would be interested in the project...

Heh...
If that happens we are blaming/killing you. No I'm not kidding, DO NOT SPEAK OF THAT (person) WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED!!

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
No game has movie potential and no movie has game potential, and it would be sad to let anyone to make an idiotic film out of such a great game

Ardus_Virgo

Aug 11, 2008
I have always felt that video-games based on movies are crap, but I'd be interested how the reverse would work.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
It's a good idea in theory but some director would probably screw it up. And I agree that it would definitely need to be rated R. I hate that everything seems to be PG-13 these days. So many movies would have been so much better if they hadn't been dumbed down so that they could get a PG-13 rating.

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
Possibly good movies:
Fallout 3 in live-action
Grand Theft Auto 4, in live-action
Crysis in machinima-style

Bad:
Half-Life
Call of Duty

OroInvictus

Dec 27, 2008
Although I respect everyone's point of view and enthusiasm toward Fallout being made into a movie, i still have to argue the fact that it is too intricate and multi-faceted to work as a movie. It could be possible IF, and that is a big IF, IF the makers covered the karmatic element, put the character into situations where there S.P.E.C.I.A.L. attributes are put to the test (e.g. "I cant move this, i'm not strong enough, maybe my super mutant companion can do it" etc.), if they were able to combine the many elements into a relatively decent length movie(unlike lord of the rings which took 3 movies to tell one main story), or even if it WERE done like lord of the rings, and the main conflict would have to be centered around the Enclave and our protagonist somehow discovering and thwarting an evil scheme. However, it would have to be rated R or UNRATED like so many movies ARENT these days in the interest of targeting a broader audience, it would have to be a UNIQUE main plot and setting so us gamers wont feel like we are watching the same events of the games unfold with the downside of us not being able to control what is happening. It CAN NOT be the plot of one of the games, it would not work. Us gamers, the largest majority audience that would watch this movie, would not want to watch the Vault Dweller take down the master, blow up the Enclave oil rig, or revivve project purity without the interactivity that originally made us fall in love with these specific storylines.

The problem being is the fact that all of these conditions that would have to be met in order for this to be successful are HIGHLY unlikely to all simultaniously happen. Once hollywood gets ahold of something, the twist it, change it, and spruce it up to be something completely different than it originally was (ie Resident Evil trilogy, Bloodrayne 1&2, silent hill, and alone in the dark, house of the dead, etc). all of these examples were not nearly what their game counterparts were, and, with the exception of the resident evil movies, all were excruciatingly painful to watch.

Bottom Line: If three years were spent undergoing painstaking research, writing and editing, excellent casting, and an extensive attention to the details of the three most successful fallout game, it COULD be done. But Hollywood rarely puts as much time, effort, attention, and love into a project. In our movie world, it simply is not realistic that a truly worth and suitable Fallout movie would be made. But, knowing hollywood, they will try, fail miserably and gamer riots will ensue, lol.

OroInvictus

Dec 27, 2008
However, myself and a few fellow Arizona residents, are working hard to buil our own future in movies right here in Arizona. What better place to film a Fallout movie? If one is not made or in production in the next two years, i will write one with the help of some fellow enthusiasts. We are going to be coming upon $500,000.00 pretty soon and with that financing, we can build the foundation for the reputation and resources we would need. Having played ALL of the fallout games, seen what works and didnt, having an extensive knowledge of movies and this subject matter, i believe i could be successful. that is if hollywood doesnt beet me to the rights and butcher our beloved Fallout franchise with a unrepairable blemish.

OroInvictus

Dec 27, 2008
hypothetical fact said:
Just watch Resident Evil Extinction and rename the zombies, feral ghouls. You now have your fallout movie.
Im sorry but this is the most assenine post i have seen. Yes the post apocalyptic setting is similar to a fallout-esque feel, but other than that, they are nothing alike.

OroInvictus

Dec 27, 2008
They DO have potential, once again IF certain criteria and conditions were met. It would take alot of love, attention to detail, throughness, and integration of many different aspects of the game. The hardest part is interactivity. However, this can even be remedied if you create the right feeling while watching as an audience, not an interloper. For instance,if the movie was made by a gamer, he could have the main charcter presented with the multiple choices, fade to sequences of him inacting each possibility, then fade back to realtime whre the character makes the choice that is linear with the end of the movie. In other words, have the protagonist imagine slaughtering the whole town after getting what he wanted, or killing a person to get what he wants, but then have the reality be what coinsides with the main plot, if the protagonist is currently alligned with good karma, have him smile at the idea of the slaughter, but merely do what is good.

OroInvictus

Dec 27, 2008
AceDiamond said:
KapnKerfuffle said:
The campy fun that is had in the video game would not translate well to a video game.

Does it ever?

I mean giant scorpians, power armor, mutants = great video game stuff.
Not for movies.
Giant Scorpions - See numerous big monster movies
Power Armor - Iron Man (and don't tell me that's different because the only difference is that Iron Man flies and has integrated weaponry.)
Mutants - See numerous horror movies

I mean seriously, none of that is outside the realm of being a good movie, it just needs someone who knows what they're doing and understands the mythos (and I still say that Bethesda did understand both when they made Fallout 3, no matter what the Van Buren hopefuls keep saying)
I agree. Power Armor is actually extremely doable even without CG as iron man did. Start with basic football shoulder gear and helmet. Remove the facial guard from the football helmet and paint it metallic, then replace face guard by attatching a modified gas mask also painted to look metallic. glue or screw on modified metal plates(lightweigt like alluminum) to the shoulder gear all over in the right way to preserve inner padding and flexability but maintain the power armor look. add a weatherd and beaten look to the metal, mask, and helmet with dirt, paint, dents made with a blunt object and a couple fake bullet holes made with a hammer and large chisel or screwdriver. the legs are a little trickier but there are biker pants with built in knee guards that can be painted metallic, then using four soccer shin guards, on for front and back of each leg, with modified metal plating you have the basics. Buying certain materials such as elstic, velcrow, foam rubber padding, plastic and metal plating, you can easily creat slip on thigh guards.

For the boots, external steel-toed boots painted metallic with the shin guards slipped over the lacing and a bit of metal glued on should work as well. a few ninja styled gauntlets either painted or metal plaited and modified to look more american then airbrushed with the Brotherhood of steel insignia should complete the ensemble after puting on some black gloves. Time consuming and deffinately expensive, but with a good budjet, doable.

ZenMonkey47

Jan 10, 2008
Actually, this might just work, because the storyline "lone wanderer in a post-apocalyptic wasteland makes good" has worked in the past (namely with the Mad Max and Hokuto no Ken series)

and we all know how the movie industry HATES to take risks. Just walk into some exec's office and say you want to do a "remake of Mad Max, only in America and with retro future technology and mutants" and you've got yourself a contract (possibly for a trilogy)

OroInvictus

Dec 27, 2008
I COULD do that, but then i would not only have to buy the rights for Fallout, but mad max as well. Where as if I make it independantly, i can personally make sure it is done right and have complete control, and im only buying the rights to one franchise and not two.

bluemistake2

Sep 25, 2008
jokr2thief said:
bluemistake2 said:
honestly id like to believe it would be a good movie but the story would be to weak coz its an rpg and you mainly make your own choices
Wow. Someone won the screaming retard award for this post. All games are linear. Unless They're MMOs, They all have a beginning and and an end, and they're all basically guiding you along the entire way through it in spite of their admissions that they're not. to make it seem like adhering to the storyline was entirely your idea, but in the end, they're still doing it. Fallout an Oblivion just use a softer hand as opposed to something like a Final Fantasy where they use an electric cattle prod.
fuck you you fagget

TheTemby

May 29, 2008
jad4400 said:
I wonder what would happen if Peter Jackson or the guy who directed 300 would do with the Fallout movie?

Also I was wondering if a Fallout RST would be any good, I maen if you think about it there are so many elements in this game series that could make it a good RTS.
Wonder what would happen if Peter Jackson directed the halo movie... -_-

gaming movies ALWAYS suck no matter what, it would just ruin the game

elmaxx

Oct 2, 2008
Isaac Dodgson said:
...I wonder if Uwe Boll would be interested in the project...

Heh...
No sir, Uwe Boll is... He Who Must Not Be Named, and just letting you know i've reported your post.

xD