Family of "Wee for Wii" Victim Awarded $16m

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Family of "Wee for Wii" Victim Awarded $16m

The family of Jennifer Strange, who died of water poisoning after drinking large quantities of water without going to the bathroom in order to win a Nintendo Wii, has been awarded $16 million in compensation for her death.

In 2007, Sacramento radio station KDND-FM held a contest called "Hold Your Wee For a Wii," in which contestants were asked to see how long they could go without urinating while drinking constant water, and the winner would receive a then-hard-to-find Nintendo Wii. 28-year-old Jennifer Strange, mother of three, entered the contest in an attempt to win the console for her children.

After drinking two gallons (7.5 liters) of water, Strange placed second in the competition. She went home from work early complaining about a headache, and was later found dead in her home, a death that was attributed to water intoxication [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication].

Though no criminal charges were filed, the radio station fired ten employees in the fallout, and will now have to pay the family of Ms. Strange $16m in a wrongful death suit, reports GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2009/10/30/%E2%80%9Chold-your-wee%E2%80%9D-family-awarded-16m]. This was less than the $34m sought by the Strange family, which may be attributed to the defense used by the lawyers representing the station, who argued that Strange's death was partly due to her own 'contributory negligence.'

(Sky News [http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Wee-For-Wii-Water-Drinking-Contest-Death-Jennifer-Stranges-Family-Awarded-16m/Article/200910415424464?f=vg])

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
WOw that is...idk whether to blame the mother for being so stupid over a pathetic excuse for a console or the people who held the contest.

ginty2

The Shadow Premier
Dec 16, 2008
so the family gets a big payday because of her stupidity. how wonderful.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
SantoUno said:
WOw that is...idk whether to blame the mother for being so stupid over a pathetic excuse for a console or the people who held the contest.
I'm pretty sure that NOBODY involved in this case came off looking clever.

Malcheior Sveth

Jul 19, 2009
While the people who held the contest should've done some fucking research, anyone who entered the contest couldn't have been the sharpest knife in the drawer either. They're all morons!

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
SantoUno said:
Both. and then whoever is putting a price on human lives aswell. makes us all look like money grabbing assholes. which most of us are. if they're not Space Assholes.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I feel regret over the death of a mother of three. And the surviving members will have to grow up in an emptier family.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Wow, my heart goes out to the family.
What a stupid contest.
Couldent they have thought of anything better?
Something like this is really dangerous.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Pfft....what an idiot.

and the family tries to pull money out of it too greedy bastards.

Apr 28, 2008
There are easier ways to get a Wii, like waiting a few months, calling the store you want to buy the Wii from.

I can understand why she would do this, a small contest for a Wii, but seriously, they could have figured out a better way to give one away than a water drinking contest.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
god bless america and no place else, cuz he seems to have forgotten that continent.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Marq said:
Should've diluted the water with beer.
Or Brawndo. (Thank Yahtzee for watching this in the office and reminding us about our ELECTROLYTES)

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
As much as it does suck for the family's loss, I see in no way how the radio station is responsible for that incident. It's just like those "win a car by being the last to touch it" contests. Would the radio be liable for two contestants who sat there and died while trying to win the car? Obviously the law says yes, but that is bullshit. If you can't do it and stay alive, then just gracefully lose. If you find yourself pushing yourself beyond your limits, and overriding your natural sense of preservation, then you don't deserve to live.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
this was stupid when it was announced, tho i'm not quite sure she's 28, it looks like she's been 28 for a few years already

kinda ridiculous that you can sue for that much money in the states

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I guess you could say she...pissed away her life? Or that it's funny how fast can go...down the crapper?

Yeah, I'm done with that. Plus, Brawndo sucks. Real people drink POWERTHIRST!! Now in Manana, Fizzbitch, Gun, Juice Springsteen, Godberry, Shockolate and Rawberry! In addition to making you win at Bear Blasting and Hump-Catting, two sports you'll invent because you'll be TOO ENERGETIC FOR NORMAL SPORTS!!!, Powerthirst is garunteed at making you win at running, football, arson, weddings, art and irony! Top score!

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
lwm3398 said:
Water... Poisoning? What is that and how does someone go about getting it?
By drinking too much water. Your cells will try to take in the fresh water to equalize the molarity of a certain substance inside to cells to the surrounding environment. This causes your cells to take in too much water for them to hold, causing them to lyse, or burst.