Famitsu Astrologer Predicts He Will Be Vague in 2010

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Famitsu Astrologer Predicts He Will Be Vague in 2010

The in-house astrologer for Japanese videogame mag, Famitsu, spouted vague prophecies about what the videogame industry will face in 2010.

Yes, Famitsu has an astrologer on staff. Savor that fact for a moment. Why don't we have a professional prognosticator here at The Escapist? Oh right, because phrenologist [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoscience].

Despite their lack of efficacy, Yusho Fukuda's horoscopes are actually syndicated in many Japanese newspapers and magazines. He offered Famitsu some choice predictions for the video game industry in 2010 for their end of the year issue. In keeping with the grand tradition of astrology, his prophecies are extremely vague and difficult to prove or discredit. Some of his predictions are quoted below, as translated by 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177429]:

2010 will be a much livelier year for the industry than this one. A game will come out in the first half of the year that will touch off a major boom, and another game will follow upon that in the second half. In April, a new game will attract attention for a gameplay system that involves 'changing' or 'trading' things. It'll become very popular on the Internet in particular.

Hmm, a game about trading or changing things on the internet. That could mean a new broswer MMOG or maybe an Animal Crossing-type title. Or maybe, any freaking game ever made? I mean, every game has to do with changing things, doesn't it?

Fukuda offers some more brain-busters about specific companies:

Nintendo will continue to expand their sales with their stable way of doing business. They will be pushing a variety of popular titles, as well as their sequels. They will have major releases in the spring and fall, and the autumn game will receive the most attention as Nintendo will be spending the summertime advertising it.

Wow, sequels and popular titles? Nintendo should hire this guy! How did he know that Mario Galaxy 2 was coming out?

Microsoft will avoid direct competition with other companies, instead expanding its sales at its own pace. Their most successful title this year will involve adventuring around the world, or examining a map and doing something based off that.

Which could mean anything from an RPG to an FPS. Way to cover your bases, Fukuda!

The darker prophecies are actually the most specific:

As we go into May, a great deal of games will be delayed, and a number of problems within the industry will make things difficult for smaller businesses. There will be friction between publishers in September due to issues related to distribution. We may see a price drop in hardware or software in November.

Predicting an industry-wide price drop before the Holiday season for what will then be a 5 year old console generation? Genius!

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177429]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
How do the planets/stars tell you about f*cking video and computer games, exactly?

And really? 2010 a livelier year? I have no idea how he got that impression; all that's happened this year was an en masse exodus of nearly everything to next year.

I'd be grinning like that if I could spout total bullshit once in a while and (likely) be well-paid for it.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I already slap my friend for beliving in horoscopes. Now I feel like I have to slap all of the workers at Famitsu who belive this.

OT: He does a great job of pointing out the obvious though. Thank you, Fukuda. We couldn't have seen this coming without you.[/sarcasm]

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
wow, this news is poking a lot of fun at Famitsu :p

Why doesn't The Escapist have some really random preacher or something anyways? That would be awesome! XD

Cgull

Behind You
Oct 31, 2009
So....much...cynicism....

It does seem like he has one of the easiest jobs going. Wonder whether he thinks the next Halo will sell well?

Yumi_and_Erea

Nov 11, 2009
The whole reason astrology is inherently flawed can be summarized in a single word:

"Rupert."

Kudo's to the people that get it.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
maddawg IAJI said:
I already slap my friend for beliving in horoscopes. Now I feel like I have to slap all of the workers at Famitsu who belive this.

OT: He does a great job of pointing out the obvious though. Thank you, Fukuda. We couldn't have seen this coming without you.[/sarcasm]
Do you reckon it's a coincidence that he's an astrologer, he's grinning like the Cheshire cat, and his name sounds distinctly like: "Fuck you! Duh!" ?

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Please tell me he doesn't get paid for this. But then again, I say that about pretty much anything astrologically-related. Spouting vague messages that nobody understands doesn't make you wise, it makes you a fortune-cookie maker or possibly the Wachowski Brothers.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
What a retard. Anybody who believes in astrology must be one. Astrology (or any future predicting methods) works by being so fucking vague that anything could happen and you'd still be right, or stating things that are so obvious that they just need to look to common sense. You'd have to be a real idiot to believe this guy's real.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
My brain has died alittle at this. Newspapers printing the crap was bad enough, without a game magazine doing one too.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
JimmyBassatti said:
I don't get why everyone is like, "Oh shit, he is just pfgjkld;sfgenjkodfjkds, THEMANWITHTHEGLASSES IS AWESOME!". I thought it was pretty cool. Also, astronomy > journalism for a gaming forum.
Astrology is not Astronomy.

And yes, The Man With The Glasses is awesome, but I didn't see any references to him until you brought it up.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
JimmyBassatti said:
Doug said:
JimmyBassatti said:
I don't get why everyone is like, "Oh shit, he is just pfgjkld;sfgenjkodfjkds, THEMANWITHTHEGLASSES IS AWESOME!". I thought it was pretty cool. Also, astronomy > journalism for a gaming forum.
Astrology is not Astronomy.

And yes, The Man With The Glasses is awesome, but I didn't see any references to him until you brought it up.
OH SHI-- My bad. Well then.
Also, that's all anyone on this site fucking talks about. "NOSTALGIA CRITIC, OMG, HAVE SEX WITH ME!". Jesus.
Actually I am a regular browser of this site, and this is the first reference to TGWTG I have ever seen.