Fan Film Sends Batman to the Carnival

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

Fan film City of Scars sees Batman pits his wits against the Joker, while a young boy's life hangs in the balance.

City of Scars is a fan-made film created by Bat In the Sun [http://batinthesun.com/] productions, a California-based independent film studio that seems to specialize in Batman fan films. The movie was directed by Aaron Schoenke [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1575624/] - whose other work includes playing a pirate on Deadliest Warrior - and made with a budget of just $27,000. In City of Scars, the Joker has escaped from Arkham Asylum, and kidnaps a young boy after murdering his parents. Batman must hunt down the crazed clown while struggling to hold back his terrible rage at seeing another child suffer the same fate that he did all those years ago.

Now, I'm not a film critic, but even I can tell that this isn't going to make you look at Batman in a whole new light. It's very traditional ground for the character, but it's well done and looks pretty amazing. It's got some great moments in it too, like Batman visiting a certain inmate at the asylum, or busting up a strip club while looking for information. If you've got a spare half-hour, it's worth a watch.

Source: Spinoff Online [http://www.spinoffonline.com/2010/06/18/watch-27000-batman-fan-film-city-of-scars/]

wilted_orchid

Aug 11, 2009
This is actually pretty impressive cinematography for such a small budget. Don't know about Batman physically, but his voice is spot on!

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
Cops face in the beginning after being shot was epic. Beyond that didnt watch much. It doesnt look bad it just looks a little too hammy for my taste.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
City of Scars is a fan-made film created by Bat In the Sun [http://batinthesun.com/] productions, a California-based independent film studio that seems to specialize in Batman fan films.
Well I guess we know what his "dream job" is...

Though it might be better to take baby steps and just land a prominent position on any action film, the whole "wow" factor might accelerate the whole process for him in Hollywood. Who knows....

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Very good, really enjoyed that. Reminds of that half life fan film (escape from city 17... i think) in terms of the quality. The reflection bit at the end was a bit hard to take seriously but overall it was pretty decent.

_Nocturnal

Nov 4, 2006
I just have to say no. One guy doing the directing, writing, cinematography and editing leads to crappy results in all fields. As a result of this, the whole thing looks like an overkill. If you're going to make an average at best film, why invest so much hard work? And there is hard work being done here, no question about that. Such wastes of talent make me sad.
On a more positive note, the voice is spot on, I agree. Though not so much the delivery. The overall atmosphere is alright. The main actors... well, Batman is in the suit most of the time so whatever, but as for the Joker, I can't decide. He has his moments. They've taken him in a pretty unique direction and it works sometimes. Overall though, he's neither close enough, nor far enough from the better known renditions to do the job well. The fighting is good, but it hasn't been shot in the best way. The story tries to touch on inportant aspects of Batman, but starts blandly, then strains to get edgy and ends horribly. Yes, that reflection bit at the end was awful. So... yeah, I did my best with the whole positive thing. Guess I failed.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That looks like a pretty well made fan-film. I approve of this!

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:

Fan film City of Scars sees Batman pits his wits against the Joker, while a young boy's life hangs in the balance.

City of Scars is a fan-made film created by Bat In the Sun [http://batinthesun.com/] productions, a California-based independent film studio that seems to specialize in Batman fan films. The movie was directed by Aaron Schoenke [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1575624/] - whose other work includes playing a pirate on Deadliest Warrior - and made with a budget of just $27,000. In City of Scars, the Joker has escaped from Arkham Asylum, and kidnaps a young boy after murdering his parents. Batman must hunt down the crazed clown while struggling to hold back his terrible rage at seeing another child suffer the same fate that he did all those years ago.

Now, I'm not a film critic, but even I can tell that this isn't going to make you look at Batman in a whole new light. It's very traditional ground for the character, but it's well done and looks pretty amazing. It's got some great moments in it too, like Batman visiting a certain inmate at the asylum, or busting up a strip club while looking for information. If you've got a spare half-hour, it's worth a watch.

Source: Spinoff Online [http://www.spinoffonline.com/2010/06/18/watch-27000-batman-fan-film-city-of-scars/]

Oops, reported by misstake...fuck.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
If everyone here enjoyed this little film, I strongly advise you to go to their site, and watch "Patient J". You won't be disappointed with it.

And does anyone else find it funny that the actor who played Zsasz is named Guy Grundy? +25 Internet Points if you do.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Jbird said:
If everyone here enjoyed this little film, I strongly advise you to go to their site, and watch "Patient J". You won't be disappointed with it.
Thanks for that, Patient J is.....actually pretty creepy in places. The Joker actor has some of the mannerisms done really well. Even the subtle things, like when he flicks his head up to stare right at the interviewer....it was eerie.

DetectiveSparky

Size doesn't matter
Jul 16, 2009
For some reason it felt a little dragged out to me. I really didn't like the kid, you'd think he would show a little more anger or sadness, he seemed way too comfortable with handling the gun.

Batman's voice sounded great, but at the same time a little hollow? It's hard to describe, it's like there wasn't any real conviction behind his voice.

Despite my complaints, it was a good fan-made film, way better than I can do.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
The acting really reminded me of DCAU Batman. This guy does the voice way better than Christian Bale, actually deep instead of just scratchy. Joker, also good, but not quite AS good.

P.S. Thanks

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
That was pretty good. I enjoyed it (especially that Joker who was actually unstable insane/psycho, instead of Genius-Insane-sociopath).