Fan Renders Ico & Shadow of the Colossus In HD

Blemontea

May 25, 2010
i see to have the reverse problem of everyone else and is that i haven't played ICO but ever since i beat Shadows and learned it was the sequel i have been trying to hunt down a copy. every time though it slip from my grasp. They should do this ill bet, nay guarantee people would buy it quicker than any huge name corporation game coming out... at least i would

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Oh sweet merciful God, PLEASE release a remake of ICO and Shadow on PS3 ala God of War Collection.

FOR GODS SAKE, don't they realize how much money they could make with that?

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
If this happens I'll buy a PS3.

Seriously, I've had a lot convincing me, but money has always pushed back my decision. This would make me buy a PS3. I'd buy the bundle, and every other game on my drool list.

cooluc

PC Gamer
Dec 23, 2009
Shadow of the Colossus, one of the masterpieces of the PS2 and a game I still frequently play on my first generation PS3, redone in HD?
*Eyes begin to water*

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
I have still not played Shadow of the Colossus, but it looks amazing, and I would love to play an HD version.
It's so good. For a game with almost nothing (apparently) you never feel like it is empty. It's really hard to describe it.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Blemontea said:
i see to have the reverse problem of everyone else and is that i haven't played ICO but ever since i beat Shadows and learned it was the sequel i have been trying to hunt down a copy. every time though it slip from my grasp. They should do this ill bet, nay guarantee people would buy it quicker than any huge name corporation game coming out... at least i would
Well, technically speaking, Shadow of the Collossus was a prequel - set way, waay before ICO and strongly related, explaining a few things and all.. and while awesome, yeah, I loved ICO rather more. Something about its story and characters..

Well anyway, good luck in the hunt, it's well worth it believe me!

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
That looks really good, but hopefully the real remake will look even better. I seriously don't care if it's $100 when it comes out... I want this so bad.

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
lol, all they did was get rid of the blurry filter used to cover up the horrid graphics

why are you guys so obsessed with HD? its mindblowing when i hear that people even want old NES and super NES games in HD...like it matters, or ads ANYTHING AT ALL to the experience

all you are getting is an clearer picture of how ugly something looks

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
I have still not played Shadow of the Colossus, but it looks amazing, and I would love to play an HD version.
What are you doing online then?! go out, pick up a copy for 20 bucks, and enjoy one of the best games ever!

OT: This would be awesome, every singel one of the Colossi looked amazing, and i can only dream of what they would look like in HD.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Felt like posting in this thread again just to say I'm completely obsessed with these games. Nothing else has come even close to the experience I had with these titles, and the worst part (I know everyone else here can identify with this) is that I can't properly describe said experience to anyone else. It's just something you feel - or you don't.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
And we simultaneously found out what happens to their comparison shots as well, I guess. Not bad, eh..

vf501

Oct 20, 2008
I call bullshit on Digital Foundry making ICO and SotC running in HD, they did squat except load up PCSX2 and the game DVD. The team over at PCSX2.net is responsible for the PC emulation that does the upped resolution videos and images you see there. Even FFX, Metal Gear Solid2/3, and Kingdom Hearts look much better in Higher resolutions.

Read both the Eurogamer articles John linked, all DF did was use PCSX2.

A good 3.0Ghz Dual or Quad Core + a 9800GT/ATI 4770 or better and you can run PCSX2 at full speeds.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
cabalistics said:
I does look pretty nice but it being sharper maybe takes away some of the vaguely dreamlike feeling of both games
I agree. The sketchy graphics is what made the games feel so other-worldly.

If Sony does hire a studio to remaster them, they'd better have someone of the Team Ico staff close by to give cliff notes on retaining the visual style.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I said it before and I'll say it again: Resolution DOES matter!

hcig said:
lol, all they did was get rid of the blurry filter used to cover up the horrid graphics
... what?!?!?

The blur isn't caused by ANY filter, it is caused by the game itself being rendered in a low resolution. I don't know where you heard about any "blurry filter" I have a sneaking suspicion you completely made that up.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
cabalistics said:
I does look pretty nice but it being sharper maybe takes away some of the vaguely dreamlike feeling of both games
I agree. The sketchy graphics is what made the games feel so other-worldly.

If Sony does hire a studio to remaster them, they'd better have someone of the Team Ico staff close by to give cliff notes on retaining the visual style.
But another thing the emulator (or possible HD re-release) would solve is the atrocious framerate in both games.

Now even if you are of the opinion that high fidelity graphics don't matter and gameplay is paramount, well a low framerate UTTERLY CRIPPLES gameplay, as even though 15-20 frames/sec may give the illusion of motion it is incredibly laggy, stiff and unresponsive, you basically have to plan each action a second in advance. Even simple platforming becomes a chore.

Playing games at 60fps vs sub-30 fps is like the difference between driving an F1 Racer and driving a bulldozer.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
I... I almost wish The Last Guardian wasn't being made. I'm going to end up breaking down and buying a PS3 for that game alone. I don't want to. It's a huge expense I can't really afford right now for. All for a single game, but I'll probably do it anyway.

Now at least I'll have more than one game to play on the system when it happens though, so yay?