Fan Video Introduces Super Mario Kart to Cruel Reality

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Fan Video Introduces Super Mario Kart to Cruel Reality

Watch Mario and friends race for their lives as they navigate a fan's apartment.

Even mild fans of the Mario Kart games have had that moment where the game and the real world collide. The person in front of you takes an extra second to start moving after the light turns green and you're wishing you had a mushroom to boost past them. Some jerk cuts you off and you start dreaming of a red turtle shell to throw up their tail pipe. Politicians might fret over the influence of shooting in video games, but gamers know that it's the kart racers you need to worry about.

Sometimes, however, it's the real world that's the threat to Mario Kart, a fact demonstrated in a video created by YouTube user Filipe Costa. Costa recently posted a video transforming real world environments into a brutal death maze that the cast of the original Super Mario Kart have to navigate. Whereas the game might have punished gamers with a few lost coins or a simple defeat, more than a few of the racers meet bloody ends by the time the race is done.

This isn't Costa's first foray into combining classic games with the horrors of the real world. In a previous video, he brought the already <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO6uWqxTJRo&list=PL1009DA3475F64008>fairly morbid Lemmings into a similar scenario, forcing them through an obstacle course of everyday objects that prove to be just as deadly the environments they usually saunter through. Likewise, a <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zleAJG3-Opo&list=PL1009DA3475F64008>Worms themed video transforms a table top into a makeshift battlefield that makes me really want an augmented reality Worms game.

Source: <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th_NDWZvhpA&list=PL1009DA3475F64008&index=1>YouTube

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
That was pretty brutal but well done, I was wondering what happened to Peach.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
A pretty lackluster parody. Whilst the end was clever the rest really has nothing to it but "Oh look how gruesome!" yeah there are about 5000000 parodies of the real world consequences of getting hit by lightning in Mariokart. Now there are 5000001 parodies of that...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
That was great...I no longer worry so much about wasting my time on pointless things.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
gory but funny. damn, how i used to play this game a lot with friends on the N64. the memories.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
They are using the N64 voices with the SNES sprites. I find that immensely offensive.

Also, it seemed like it was trying way too hard to be "adult" with all the blood everywhere.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Friggen Peach. She always seems to find a way to win in these kind of games. ALWAYS.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
The part with the super dog was good, other than that... meh.
Obviously a lot of effort to make the sprites/animations mesh well into the footage, but the content itself wasn't that good.

EDIT: Okay, that Lemmings one was good, though, if only because the game itself was already so needlessly cruel to the little things and he used the death-animations from the game rather than spray gore everywhere.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I was expecting a blue shell to be the twist here, but nevertheless, good video, hit me right in the nostalgia.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
I was expecting a blue shell to be the twist here, but nevertheless, good video, hit me right in the nostalgia.
The blue shell wasn't around for the first Mario Kart.

Also I loved the dog bit. XD

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Redlin5 said:
CardinalPiggles said:

The first Mario Kart wasn't on the N64?!?

I learned something today.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
Redlin5 said:
CardinalPiggles said:

The sprites he was using came from the SNES version, which was the first.
The SNES Mariokart sets the bar for cheating scumbag AI... I recommend trying it but you probably aren't going to get very far.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
That was grim!

CardinalPiggles said:
Redlin5 said:
CardinalPiggles said:

Your not serious right?

It was from the time when console controllers didn't have analogue sticks as well, and shoulder buttons were considered gimmicks.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
DigitalSushi said:
That was grim!

CardinalPiggles said:
Redlin5 said:
CardinalPiggles said:

Your not serious right?

It was from the time when console controllers didn't have analogue sticks as well, and shoulder buttons were considered gimmicks.
I grew up on the Commodore 64, NES and SNES but somehow I guess I just missed it. And by the sounds of it I didn't miss too much.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
DigitalSushi said:
That was grim!

CardinalPiggles said:
Redlin5 said:
CardinalPiggles said:

Your not serious right?

I grew up on the Commodore 64, NES and SNES but somehow I guess I just missed it. And by the sounds of it I didn't miss too much.
Dude, you can't say things like that! , Mario Kart... you missed the golden days of Mario Kart?

Don't trust the haters, Mario Kart on the SNES was the best mario kart, N64 Mario Kart was the one with the evil AI

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
...there are people who don't know about the SNES Mario Kart?? I loved those old sprites and Mode 7- had so much fun growing up playing the battle mode with my cousins.