Fanny packs mother****** , do you wear em?

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Flames66 said:
I don't understand why anyone would not have pockets other than for sports gear. I can't imagine leaving the house without pockets.
You don't have much experience with women's clothing, do you? I recently started wearing men's board shorts/swimming trunks (I find them more comfortable than women's shorts in the hot weather), and the roominess of the pockets has been a fucking revelation. People who make women's clothes are much more concerned with appearances than practicality, and apparently pockets you can actually fit stuff in don't fit the look. Note that I am not a slave to fashion, so I have actively tried to find practical women's clothes.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Eamar said:
Flames66 said:
I don't understand why anyone would not have pockets other than for sports gear. I can't imagine leaving the house without pockets.
You don't have much experience with women's clothing, do you? I recently started wearing men's board shorts/swimming trunks (I find them more comfortable than women's shorts in the hot weather), and the roominess of the pockets has been a fucking revelation. People who make women's clothes are much more concerned with appearances than practicality, and apparently pockets you can actually fit stuff in don't fit the look. Note that I am not a slave to fashion, so I have actively tried to find practical women's clothes.
Ive always wondered why women's clothes dont have pockets. Perhaps the clothes makers want you to buy a hand bag too so you spend more money

The amount of times Ive had to carry stuff in my pockets for women is stupid. I suppose if you are a more ample lady then youve always got the cleavage pocket. Ive seen so many girls on nights out pull a phone out their bra and answer a phonecall

Perhaps you could make it a 'thing' and it might catch on

P.s if you are wearing mens swimming shorts cut the netting out. I dont know why they put that shit in there but it can be uncomfortable

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
shootthebandit said:
Ive always wondered why women's clothes dont have pockets. Perhaps the clothes makers want you to buy a hand bag too so you spend more money
Heh, I hadn't thought of that, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

I suppose if you are a more ample lady then youve always got the cleavage pocket. Ive seen so many girls on nights out pull a phone out their bra and answer a phonecall
My colleague and I used to do that all the time when we were on the shop floor. Had the added bonus of meaning there was no way our manager would check there (we weren't meant to have phones on us) :p

P.s if you are wearing mens swimming shorts cut the netting out. I dont know why they put that shit in there but it can be uncomfortable
I'm borrowing my dad's at the moment (yeah, they're a bit massive on me - I'm hardly rocking the summer goddess look atm), but once my own arrive I definitely will do.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Eamar said:
My colleague and I used to do that all the time when we were on the shop floor. Had the added bonus of meaning there was no way our manager would check there (we weren't meant to have phones on us) :p
I wish I could do that but sadly I cant. Maybe I could invent the man bra purely as a convenient storage device. It would be pretty handy for my tools too

I'm borrowing my dad's at the moment (yeah, they're a bit massive on me - I'm hardly rocking the summer goddess look atm), but once my own arrive I definitely will do.
Summer goddess? Im sure you'll good in your massive baggy shorts. All the blokes will be jealous when they see you with your pockets while they are lugging around all their girlfriends stuff because she thought her beach body was more important

gxs

Apr 16, 2009
Gennadios said:
Colour Scientist said:
I haven't worn one since I was about six years old, I would never wear them now.

American tourists wear them all of the time in my hometown though, it's like a trademark style. :D
It becomes kind of mandatory after your first pickpocketing abroad.
This.

I tend to wear them while visiting places that are deemed as "high risk of people stealing your wallet". Seriously some places (Amsterdam) even have their own street signs for pick pocketing. So yeah having my wallet in front of me and my hand on the bag works better than having my pockets full of my sunglasses (300?), phone (500?), wallet (+/- 500? cash when abroad) and my camera (700?).

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
krazykidd said:
omega 616 said:
In the uk they aren't really a thing, unless you're at a small fair or "fate" ... you know how like a traveling fair will come through and set up a few rides (like "top spin" or just about any "thrill ride" from roller coaster tycoon 2). People manning the rides, might wear one to hold money in.

Other than that you might get the odd (in both meanings) old person wearing one but they are usually unseen.
Really no one wears them in the UK? If anything i would think the praticality of it, and the fact that people in europe are less vain than americains ( i'm including canada), mean people there would wear them. Do people in the UK also think they look weird/ugly?
They're mostly a thing seen being worn by tourists from North America. They did have a thing in the 90s, but that dark time has passed.

Also, in the UK, and most of the Anglosphere outside of North America, fanny is slang for vulva. That may not help their popularity.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
The closest I've ever gotten to wearing a bum bag is a money belt I had when I went to India. Same kind of thing, only they're flat so you can wear it under your clothes without it protruding. If anyone was to try and pick my pockets they would have had to cop a feel as well.

I can't say I mind bum bags, they're pretty amusing to see other people wear. Mostly attached to land cruising dirigibles wrapped in stars and stripes with about 2 tonnes of camera equipment dangling from various appendages. Oh America, why are your tourists so badly dressed?

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Lil devils x said:
Yea, most of my shoulder bags were more durable than my backpacks, and it is harder to access stuff in my backpack, so I usually put lipstick and stuff in the wristlet so it is easier to get to. A backpack or a belt bag are not something you can really wear out to dinner and such either, and then a shoulder bag or clutch is better. I prefer not to wear a shoulder bag for things like amusement parks, shopping, concerts, out on a boat or cycling though because it gets in the way too much and I feel like I wind up wrestling it.
Cannot disagree with any of these points.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Eamar said:
Flames66 said:
You don't have much experience with women's clothing, do you?
I have worn a few dresses while camping. It was an interesting experience. I found the draft quite pleasant, but they were a bit restrictive of leg movement.

I recently started wearing men's board shorts/swimming trunks (I find them more comfortable than women's shorts in the hot weather), and the roominess of the pockets has been a fucking revelation. People who make women's clothes are much more concerned with appearances than practicality, and apparently pockets you can actually fit stuff in don't fit the look. Note that I am not a slave to fashion, so I have actively tried to find practical women's clothes.
I personally find women more attractive wearing baggy clothes. I think I am attracted to people who can look after their own stuff.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
krazykidd said:
omega 616 said:
In the uk they aren't really a thing, unless you're at a small fair or "fate" ... you know how like a traveling fair will come through and set up a few rides (like "top spin" or just about any "thrill ride" from roller coaster tycoon 2). People manning the rides, might wear one to hold money in.

Other than that you might get the odd (in both meanings) old person wearing one but they are usually unseen.
Really no one wears them in the UK? If anything i would think the praticality of it, and the fact that people in europe are less vain than americains ( i'm including canada), mean people there would wear them. Do people in the UK also think they look weird/ugly?
No not since the early 90's and no one can be held accountable for their fashion tastes back then...I think it was down to some sort mass insanity...probably due to BSE or elves or something.

You are very liable to get ridiculed and/or possibly mugged wearing them here these days[footnote]well at least in the north, I cant speak for that shifty southern lot[/footnote]. It's like a giant flashing sign saying 'Victim Here' with a wiff of 'Not the sharpest knife in the draw' to boot.

Also here in the UK the word fanny is another word for vagina so we call them bum bags...which is obviously a way better name because of reasons?

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Was made to wear them as a kid in the 90s, mainly while traveling, but they also were handy to keep a small selection of toys like a Magic deck, your Gameboy etc. in so when going out you just grab it. You could still put it in your backpack when carrying one.
On travels they were supposed to be safer than a backpack against pickpockets but it kind of always struck me as a "hey, I'm a tourist, pick my pockets!" indicator. Maybe wear one with only worthless stuff in it and keep the important stuff somewhere else?

I think they can certainly be very useful but so are military/outdoor backpacks/ammo packs, cargo pants, load carry vests... I don't see it particularly useful when compared to those and their looks would rather put me off than interest me in them. But I guess they share those properties with those hand bags. I still don't understand why so many women carry them around anywhere when their purpose is better served by just using a small backpack... or even a fanny pack.

They probably don't need to look as stupid as some of the examples posted in this thread and I think they might be more popular if they didn't default to stupid 90s (or hand bag inspired) designs for so long. For example they serve their purpose on delivery men and don't look out of place because they have colors and designs that fit with the uniform rather than being black leather with glitter nor purple with green highlights.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
I use my camera bag. The camera is always out, so there's room in the bag for a sandwich, water bottle, map, etc. I only carry my camera to places I know I'll want pictures, so I only have the bag on hikes or trips.