Fans "Fix" Ghostbusters Trailer With Recut

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Fans "Fix" Ghostbusters Trailer With Recut

The first official Ghostbusters trailer was kind of underwhelming. Some fans have fixed it.

A lot of fans, myself included, are quite looking forward to the nostalgia-laden gender-flipped official trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137925-Paul-Feigs-All-Female-Ghostbusters-Reboot-Gets-Heat-Writer] hit... a lot of people were pretty underwhelmed. The jokes fell flat, the characters didn't seem very interesting, there was way too much talking and explanation... and what was with that horrible remix of the classic Ghostbusters theme?

Thankfully, fans have come to the rescue, creating a recut of the trailer which makes me actually want to see the movie.

It's perfect! Filmmakers take note: when you are making a reboot of a classic 80s franchise in order to cash in on nostalgia, you should probably take a look at what fans liked about said franchise in the first place. The new trailer makes the film feel a lot more like the campy ghostbusting romp of the originals, while still showing off the new cast at their best moments.

What do you guys think? Do you prefer the original trailer, or this fan recut?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It's better, sure, only because they made it shorter and added the original song. Also better edited, I'll give it that.

But the worst parts are still when they actually show the actors doing... anything. Still gonna bomb.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
About the only thing that might save this movie is if this trailer is the fault of the marketing team, and not the actual movie itself. It's not exactly unheard of for the people in marketing to be in their own little world drastically missing the point of the stuff they're supposed to promote.

I don't think that's the case, but it's a possibility.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I'll say this much about the original trailer. Aesthetically it was very pleasing. The colors of the ghosts, particularly out in open NYC, do look very nice. That said unless the trailer missed the point of the movie I think it's going to critically bomb. Even with some stuff that was in the trailer it felt like very forced humor and I don't necessarily think that's the actors fault. The only thing that actually got a chuckle out of me in the trailer was "it's a Cadillac" because of the delivery.

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
Man, it says a lot about the movie if part of the fan trailer's way of fixing things is cutting out just about every joke.

Here's to hoping that we get a fan recut of the whole movie!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
This trailer is better, but, it the final movie will have all that terrible crap in it still. Will wait for the fan cut of the movie.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
The fan cut of the trailer is a huge improvement. Unfortunately, changing the trailer does not change the movie, so I basically just wasted my time watching a wet turd get polished and molded into a smiley-face.

I mean, it's a cute smiley-face, but it's still slimy, brown, and reeks like shit.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I think the biggest disappointment is that every video I've watched making any reference to the movie has to have at least one "gorilla" comment. I take some modicum of solace in the fact that it's mostly idiot teenagers (mostly...), but it's still kinda sad to see how far we haven't come in the last 50 years or so since the Civil Rights movement.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
The Enquirer said:
I'll say this much about the original trailer. Aesthetically it was very pleasing. The colors of the ghosts, particularly out in open NYC, do look very nice. That said unless the trailer missed the point of the movie I think it's going to critically bomb. Even with some stuff that was in the trailer it felt like very forced humor and I don't necessarily think that's the actors fault. The only thing that actually got a chuckle out of me in the trailer was "it's a Cadillac" because of the delivery.
Really, I thought the whole joke about the hearse was atrocious. I mean, we *get* that it's funny because they're driving a hearse, but it's a *visual* joke. Explaining it just assumes your audience is composed of morons.

EDIT: The delivery of "It's a Cadillac!" was kind of funny, though, I guess.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
That cut could have tricked me into watching the movie.

And all it had to do was cut our most of the dialog and add some nostalgia music and audio effects.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I liked the cut. Probably because a person that was so stereotypically black she could have been a part of KKK propaganda isn't in it.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
It won't change the quality of the film itself. Speaking of the quality of the film, I would have thought it would take at least a few weeks to become absolutely sick of the raging echo chamber surrounding this film, but apparently days would have been a better estimate.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I suppose adding polish to a turd does make it shine, even if it leaves you with a just a shiny turd in the end.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
No... ist still shitty humor. Cutting shit and adding original Music aint make it better... just Shorter and more bearable.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Heh, so cutting out the dialogue and the humour does make a difference afterall. In saying so it only cover up the truth but I suppose time will tell if the movie will anything decent.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Reminds me of the Phantom Edit which recut the Star Wars prequel trilogy and somehow made Hayden Christiansen a better actor.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
frizzlebyte said:
The Enquirer said:
Really, I thought the whole joke about the hearse was atrocious. I mean, we *get* that it's funny because they're driving a hearse, but it's a *visual* joke. Explaining it just assumes your audience is composed of morons.

EDIT: The delivery of "It's a Cadillac!" was kind of funny, though, I guess.
It was literally just the "it's a Cadillac" line that made me chuckle. Like I said the humor seemed very forced like the hearse bit as you described.

Devieus

Jul 30, 2014
I haven't seen the original one, but if this is better, I'm not impressed.