Fans, Journalists Attack G.I. Joe Director's Live-Action Jem Reboot

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I don't like the idea of a Jem movie where the original creator is left completely out of the loop but I think it's still an IP that's worth adapting. They couldn't possibly ruin it as badly as trans-

MovieBob said:
Chu, Blum and Braun have promised a 21st century "reimagining" involving a teenaged orphan who becomes an internet musical-sensation.
ABORT MISSION! JESUS CHRIST! ABORT! ABORT!

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Andrew Siribohdi said:
It wouldn't surprise me of Hasbro screwed this up like they have with their other properties (Transformers, Bratz, G.I. Joe is debatable). To me, this is only something you can set in the 80's. Bringing it to modern times would just be a replica of Hannah Montana. Besides, I need all that glorious 80's cheese.
You think they messed up Transformers? The entire Prime run was probably the most enjoyable transformers since Beast Wars and had some of the best lookin toys of the group. Especially compared to the fuck awful movie license toys. Seriously, why does RC have no legs. How do you even play with that? Stupid movie RC.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
shintakie10 said:
Andrew Siribohdi said:
It wouldn't surprise me of Hasbro screwed this up like they have with their other properties (Transformers, Bratz, G.I. Joe is debatable). To me, this is only something you can set in the 80's. Bringing it to modern times would just be a replica of Hannah Montana. Besides, I need all that glorious 80's cheese.
You think they messed up Transformers? The entire Prime run was probably the most enjoyable transformers since Beast Wars and had some of the best lookin toys of the group. Especially compared to the fuck awful movie license toys. Seriously, why does RC have no legs. How do you even play with that? Stupid movie RC.
Forgive me,I was a bit unclear. I meant them ruining the franchises through their movie properties.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
The Hungry Samurai said:
Mark my words now, this will spawn the newest generation of Bronies.

It will be.....odd.
Only if it's a genuinely good movie that manages to connect to audiences outside tween girls. People fail to realise that they've been trying for two years to make the next 'bronies' happen, and it hasn't, because most of the shows they are trying to do are crap.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
MovieBob said:
First, Moviefone's Jenni Miller [http://news.moviefone.com/2014/03/21/jem-creator-christy-marx-movie/] reported that Christy Marx, who created the character, had been "shut out" of the project until the deal was already done.
MovieBob said:
Chu, Blum and Braun have promised a 21st century "reimagining" involving a teenaged orphan who becomes an internet musical-sensation.
**opens mouth**

**closes mouth**

... fuck. Gem was a staple of my childhood. I should be thrilled about a reboot. Why did they have to go and ruin everything about it?!

Okay, remember how after Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull came out, South Park released an episode about Indiana Jones being repeatedly raped? That's kinda how this feels. Yes, that was over the top and hyperbolic as fuck, but... yeah.

Vault101 said:
also before anyone starts lamenting this as the worst thing since twilight (as well all know pre teen and teen girls are the literal heralds of the apocolypse)....tell me GI joe, transformers or TMNT is any less dumb with a straight face...c'mon
Huh? I think I'm missing something here. The reboot actually does kinda sound Twilight bad in that a strong female super hero of the 80s is being reduced to "a teenaged orphan who becomes an internet musical sensation". I think that the travesty above compares with other bad 80s cartoon reboots (like, say, Transformers) quite well.

Edit: Er, not that Twilight included a female superhero from the 80s. Just that the reduction of Jem's character feels as bad as some of the shit that Twilight pulled. Sorry about the above sentence being kinda confusing - I was having trouble expressing what I meant there.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
<youtube=yzVnNVrunAE&feature=player_embedded>

It's hilarious how the producer kept firing that big plastic gun to reassure himself he's still a dudebro after being in constant proximity of such a girly IP.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
MovieBob said:
After it was revealed on Friday that the film was shockingly only three weeks away from shooting, influential pop-culture writers from Badass Digest's Meredith Borders [http://io9.com/this-is-outrageous-the-jem-movie-is-filming-in-three-w-1558405623] joined the chorus of dissenting fans; arguing that a character considered to be a rare positive female role-model of the era deserved better than what seems to be planned for her.

So instead of being happy that the character is getting a movie at all they'd rather complain that it isn't good enough? Par for the course I guess but I'm just so tired of everyone on the internet being so whiny all the time. It's not that big a deal.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vault101 said:
this is shitty...I mean you know her not being a part and all

also before anyone starts lamenting this as the worst thing since twilight (as well all know pre teen and teen girls are the literal heralds of the apocolypse)....tell me GI joe, transformers or TMNT is any less dumb with a straight face...c'mon
But those are aimed at boys, so it's okay.

I mostly wanted to respond to the main topic, though, and to do so by paraphrasing someone else. I was watching a Black Nerd Comedy video where he talks about TMNT and how even if it sucks, it doesn't matter. And one of the reasons for that is that media isn't what it used to be: once upon a time, before home video sales and the ubiquity (and fall) of DVD, when something got rebooted, reimagined or whatever, there was a serious risk of the original product going bye-bye. TV shows were taken off the air and didn't routinely have full VHS libraries. Now?

Well, if you really like Jem, there's the original still being sold. Don't like the new Ninja Turtles? There's an old one. I stopped caring about what Lucas did to Star Wars when I got my copy of the originals on DVD. Transformers? Literally pick your version. Nostalgia is such big business now, it's borderline insane to have a fit over a re-imagining.

However, I sometimes wonder what the hell goes on in the heads of the people who decide who's going to be in charge. For example....

canadamus_prime said:
I don't remember much about Jem, but I don't think the director of GI Joe Retribution and a guy who produces horror films are the most qualified to reboot it. Also shutting out the original creator is never a good sign.
I don't know. I used to see ads for Jem all the time, and I thought "you know what this needs? Lots of guns and maybe a serial killer stalking promiscuous teens." Finally, Jem can be done properly!

But yeah, seriously, what the hell? Those are odd choices.

Alorxico

Jan 5, 2011
MovieBob said:

No.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

NO!

NO!

<font size=3> NO!

First off, making her an orphan COMPLETELY destroys the character of Jerrica and her alter ego Jem. If I remember correctly, Jerrica's father owned a recording study, passed away and left it to Jerrica to manage. Those associated with the company, recording artists, backers and the other executives, did not believe Jerrica could handle the company on her own and threatened to leave (thus destroying the studio) unless she booked the next big hit. Fearing a backlash from the other performers and backers should she step up to the mike, Jerrica (who was a talented musician) decides to use Synergy, a super-smart computer with the ability to create realistic holograms, to create "Jem"; a holographic overlay that changes her appearance so no one will recognize her when she performs. Jem is a hit, Jerrica is given control of the company and greedy Eric Raymond, who had been controlling the company during Jerrica's father's absence, is bummed from his seat of power and decides to win back control by creating a band more popular that Jem's, a punk-rock grunge style band called the Misfits.

... God, I'm such a geek...

Anyway, for an '80s TV show, "Jem" was ground breaking. It had strong female characters AND showed one of them in a position of power. Jerrica RAN her father's company after his death. She didn't hand it off to a board room of old men. SHE was the one in control of finding talent, setting up contracts, scheduling tours and a number of other things, though the TV show did tend to glaze over that in favor of the action/adventure life of a super-star.

Making her an orphan takes all that away from her. Making her a TEENAGER means you make her vulnerable and uninformed, easily manipulated (probably by a re-imagined Eric Raymond who has naive and star-struck Jem working with the Misfits before she finds her "Fairy God-computer", Synergy) and prone to making rash decisions. Making her an INTERNET SUPERSTAR is just insulting.

I have no problem with a live action Jem movie. I, however, would like the CREATOR and FANS involved. I don't care if the producers and directors are all male. I DO CARE if they are actual FANS of the show or if they're just squeezing another nostalgia fruit to make a pint of money-ade. The only reason I say that is because, usually, when producers say "re-imaged" it means they have never watched the show and probably never heard about it until one day two weeks ago while they were in the break room waiting for the microwave to pop their popcorn and some lackey they employ comes in and says "I just found all the old 'Jem' episodes on this really cool website. Spent my entire weekend watching it. That **** was awesome."

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I don't really have much to add to the discussion since I was never really a fan of Jem, and most of what I would have said has been said, so...

But really, I hope this adaptation turns out well. If only for the fans sake.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
MovieBob said:
have instead been met with apprehension and outrage (truly.)
Why did this dumb little joke make me start laughing so hard that I'm now in pain? ;____;

OT: I never watched the show (what with girls being icky and all that when I was a kid), but blocking out the creator? That just sounds wrong.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
I see people care here so i'll be genetle with this in the form of a 'let them burn trying' its the darwin factor make it good or die trying.

Heck if it stinks it should be fun to watch the review from Bob if nothing else.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
If i was confronted with the task of making something to do with Jem today, after watching that intro, i'm not sure i'd want to confer with the people who created it either.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Chaosritter said:
Unless the writers realize what bullshit they're stuck with and turn this into a tongue-in-cheek parody of movies based on toys (one can dream...), I see a box office bomb the size of a tactical nuke incoming...

If we got a scene like this I would absolutely be onboard with it.

http://youtu.be/qzcwL2uwGS4?t=6m37s

Geekeric

Sep 8, 2010
Valderis said:
Damn it man, have you no imagination?

With the kind of animation technology we have today a reboot of something like Gem could be awesome. Think about it, some chick with holographic tech putting on rock concerts while solving mysteries and having adventures, all the while being followed by those dastardly Misfits trying to upstage/ruin her.

If the special effects are cool enough, if the music is actual fun and good and rocking enough, and if the misfits are cartoonishly evil enough, if the woman playing Gem can actually act, and if the script isn't shit then that could be a really enjoyable and fun movie.

It's a lot of ifs, but that's true for any movie. At least give the concept a chance. I mean I'm sure what they are going to make will turn out like any other shitty thing being made these days, but there is nothing wrong with the concept.
Are you sure we're talking about the same show? Are you just trolling me? Very funny. The show was so bad it made you squirm with embarrassment for the people that were involved with its production. If they left the creator out of the new remake, it's probably the first good idea they had. Did you think Pat Benatar music videos were good?