Fans Pledge Thousands to Indie RPG Dev in Two Days

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Pass up these games at your own risk.

Seriously fantastic writing.
I've only played through the first little bit of Cthulu Saves the World and I was cracking up from the start, the writing tickles me. ^_^

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Rigs83 said:
Ditto!

This is awesome. Stuff like this (in videogames) and Pioneer One (on tv, and as hokey as it might get) give me hope for good stuff in the future.

The Roots of the Grass always makes a good snack!

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
(=Nemesis=) said:
Wait, wait, are people getting this money back? Or is this a case of just asking people to give them money so that they can make more money later on? If it's the latter I'm surprised they have the guts to do that.
I think you got some kind of reward for funding them. Like getting the game for "free" as soon as its ported.
Though personally, I wouldn´t even mind funding devs without immediate benefit for myself, as long as I like the studio and what they are doing.

Also, I think we should all take a step back and realize how awesome it is, that the gaming community has reached a level where this kind of stuff actually works.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I don't see what the big deal is. It looks like something created in RGPmaker and an old version at that. It's just a reskin of the tired old 4 man JRPG.
Now if it were an SRPG instead, I'd be all over it.

(=Nemesis=)

Oct 4, 2010
TheAmazingHobo said:
(=Nemesis=) said:
Wait, wait, are people getting this money back? Or is this a case of just asking people to give them money so that they can make more money later on? If it's the latter I'm surprised they have the guts to do that.
(1) I think you got some kind of reward for funding them. Like getting the game for "free" as soon as its ported.

(2) Though personally, I wouldn´t even mind funding devs without immediate benefit for myself, as long as I like the studio and what they are doing.

(3) Also, I think we should all take a step back and realize how awesome it is, that the gaming community has reached a level where this kind of stuff actually works.

1) Wouldn't that make it a pre-order, and if so, the article's kind of misleading.

2) That's all fair enough... I just think it's a bit... well, mum said I shouldn't ask strangers for money. (´.´v)

3) Excellent! I happen to be working on an RPG myself; I don't need money for it because all the software I got for it was free, and I'm doing it in my spare time, but please may I have some anyway. I'll need to... advertise... so that people will recognise it enough to give me even more money... guh, there seems to be no level of irony at which it's even funny. I'll have to ask my scriptwriter about that one.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Power to Zeboyd on this.

I have bought exactly 6 games on XBLIG and Breath of Death + Cthulhu Saves the World are two of them.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
(=Nemesis=) said:
3) Excellent! I happen to be working on an RPG myself; I don't need money for it because all the software I got for it was free, and I'm doing it in my spare time, but please may I have some anyway. I'll need to... advertise... so that people will recognise it enough to give me even more money... guh, there seems to be no level of irony at which it's even funny. I'll have to ask my scriptwriter about that one.
I don´t see what you are getting at.

They have already developed a couple of decent games.
They need money for some reason or another.
They get it from people who value their work, as opposed to from a publisher.
You on the other hand would be some dude who never developed anything anybody cares about, so people wouldn´t be inclined to give you money.

(=Nemesis=)

Oct 4, 2010
TheAmazingHobo said:
(=Nemesis=) said:
I don´t see what you are getting at.

They have already developed a couple of decent games.
They need money for some reason or another.
They get it from people who value their work, as opposed to from a publisher.
You on the other hand would be some dude who never developed anything anybody cares about, so people wouldn´t be inclined to give you money.
My point, I suppose, is if they've developed decent games, which people demonstrably want to buy, why do they need what looks like additional charity funding?

EDIT: I mean, suppose if someone like BioWare or Valve asked their customers for money in advance for games they're trying to make. Everyone here would be laughing. But the only real difference I see between them, and these chaps, is that BioWare and Valve have made more money making (or in Valve's case, also distributing) more games that more people like to play. I don't recognise why that should change it.

Aug 17, 2009
No! Don't go exclusively to the PC!

I loved both of their games, they were more fun than any of those stuffy old Nintendo-era Final Fantasy games.