Fans Protest Tera's Censorship

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
WMDogma said:
"We, as members of the Tera community, feel that this time you have crossed the line," reads the petition's statement, which is titled "Bring Blood Back to Tera EU!". "The community was patient for a very, very long time with your incompetence and childish games. You have played with the boundries [sic] of how much the community can take. Count in all the false information that was given to us."
This statement points to the heart of what I think is wrong with the game community: a total lack of maturity and self-control. If the situation is so bad and intolerable, just stop buying it. It's really that simple, in my opinion. Making this kind of fuss every time a game company consistently does something that is perceived as customer-hostile (taking away game features, over-charging for games, rip-off DLC, online access codes, special accounts, DRM, excessively buggy games, poor quality games, improper or illogical content, etc.), yet gamers continue buying into the games from them just makes the community look like whiny, petulant electronic-crack/cocaine junkies. And almost every time, the only thing it takes to quiet the fervor is to show the next, upcoming shallow, hyper-violent graphics and boobs festival of a game, just like shoving a pacifier in a baby's mouth.

If you have a complaint, at least make a reasoned, civil argument regarding that complaint, rather than launching into a childish tirade. It is quite possible to show anger and displeasure with a company's actions in a manner that makes clear your intolerance for the continuation of the situation without being a screaming kid about it (most people don't take a screaming kid seriously).

Just my opinion. Feel free to flame.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
This is what you're upset about?

THIS?

Have you not seen the game?

How about a little less "Zomg, I want my bloody deaths," and a little more "Why are there half naked children running around in their panties?"

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I find the reaction of the over seas crowd entertaining.
Going ape shit at the sight of nipples yet laughing at the censorship of blood.

That is classic!

Btw. the Elin have been censored already. They now wear hot pants and shirts instead of slips and showing their bellybuttons.
This change of course was done in favour of the US crowd.
Because seeing a 12 year old girl in a swimsuit makes you automatically paedophile... it works that way!

All in all I have to say my fellow Europeans overact. The change is minor and does not impact gameplay at all.
The only regrettable thing in this affair is the lack of proper community information. I think the outcry could have been avoided or reduced if the players would have been informed about the changes and the reasons why this has to be changed before the update hits the server.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Ishigami said:
I find the reaction of the over seas crowd entertaining.
Going ape shit at the sight of nipples yet laughing at the censorship of blood.

That is classic!

Btw. the Elin have been censored already. They now wear hot pants and shirts instead of slips and showing their bellybuttons.
This change of course was done in favour of the US crowd.
Because seeing a 12 year old girl in a swimsuit makes you automatically paedophile... it works that way!

All in all I have to say my fellow Europeans overact. The change is minor and does not impact gameplay at all.
The only regrettable thing in this affair is the lack of proper community information. I think the outcry could have been avoided or reduced if the players would have been informed about the changes and the reasons why this has to be changed before the update hits the server.
12? Try 7. More importantly, why would anyone want to see a child of no more than 7 in their panties? Pretend violence is cathartic. Fantasy is escapist. I get that. But barely clothed children? I don't even want to know why someone would want that or what it is they are getting out of it.

Every time this issue comes up, I find a whole new batch of people I want the government to track and keep a close eye on.

/shudder

MC K-Mac

Oct 23, 2010
FYI to "Tera community": People take you more seriously when you're able to write a paragraph without making spelling and grammar mistakes.

Entitled immature assholes demanding things from a corporation while simultaneously buying their product makes me giggle.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
If the European mainstream has such an aversion to blood, it's no wonder your women don't shave.

Okay show of hands: Who else thought this would be related to the dress-code?
*raises hand*

I didn't think blood was going to be an issue here. Seriously.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Why don't you ask that the guys who produce this:

And you complain about some unrealistic polygons and pixels that resemble some kind of girl...

I don't need 3 years (while we are at why not push this beyond ridiculous?) old in underwear for my gaming enjoyment.
For gods sake I argue that companies should drop the ?chain-mail-bikini? stereotype altogether.
But why should they? Look some of the most downloaded Skyrim Mods up...

The point is it does not automatically makes players paedophiles. Sex is normal or should be normal, violence is not or should not be considered normal.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Ragnellus said:
draythefingerless said:
i would not censor anything. the dressing in tera is very good looking, my only complaint is that the males should share of the same greco-roman style approach to clothing. that is, barely any at all. no that is not sexual, i just find the dress code beautiful, if a bit on the erotic.
I respectfully disagree. From what I've seen, eroticism seems to be the ENTIRE POINT of the female dress code in TERA - The worst thing males get is an unbuttoned shirt, while almost everything the demon females wear looks like an Ivy cosplay.

Also, the elfin are disgusting - sexualizing little girls is NEVER okay.
The defence "Oh, but they're not human! That makes it okay!" doesn't work either, as ideas are never made in a vacuum - the Elfin are SUPPOSED to look like prepubescent girls.
wether or not that was the intent, the dressing in TERA is beautiful, i meant I, MYSELF, dont find it erotic. as for the elin...i can see why some people would get all creeped out imagining pedophiles and such, but i dont share of that thought, specially if you realize how this style of character is entrenched in asian culture. the bikini thongs are too much thou. the only thing i agree is that males dont share of the same treatment, wich is what you get from asian mysoginistic societies...oh well.

Moffman

May 21, 2009
Not a big enough change to stop me playing tbh :p... I get to control a little pot bellied panda beaver thing, what's not to like? All though loads of blood would have made me laugh even more as the pot bellied panda beaver carves up his enemies :p

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
And here I thought the censorship would be about those pedo-bait little animal girls, but the TERA fans seem to be okay with that. Silly me.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Slayer_2 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
If the European mainstream has such an aversion to blood, it's no wonder your women don't save.

Okay show of hands: Who else thought this would be related to the dress-code?
Seconded. Although, Europe is more sane than the US. If you're gonna get up in arms about a game containing mature content, why the fuck would you go after nudity and sex when the game contains tons of violence? See: GTA or Mass Effect "scandals".
True on the Mass effect part though GTA has gotten more heat for its violence than its sexual content in the past over in the US.

Jan 22, 2011
Ishigami said:
Why don't you ask that the guys who produce this:

And you complain about some unrealistic polygons and pixels that resemble some kind of girl...

I don't need 3 years (while we are at why not push this beyond ridiculous?) old in underwear for my gaming enjoyment.
For gods sake I argue that companies should drop the ?chain-mail-bikini? stereotype altogether.
But why should they? Look some of the most downloaded Skyrim Mods up...

The point is it does not automatically makes players paedophiles. Sex is normal or should be normal, violence is not or should not be considered normal.
deleted that pic for quote.. what the hell that's legal in america??

MPerce

May 29, 2011
This thread is the perfect example of how North American and European audiences' priorities differ.

But yeah, the Elin have been censored, too. If you really want your blood and lolis, there are mods for that. Nobody's stopping you.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
I'm not playing this anyway since it's subscription based... but I've got to know: dose Europe get the original korean Elin outfits, or the "censored" US ones?

Cause if the US ones, I totally get the outrage over the lack of blood.

Slanzinger

Nov 19, 2009
Not that I care at all about this game but... doesn't that statement violate causality a little?
"It got a lower rating from PEGI, therefore some content is going to be taken out to match that".

...Surely PEGI give a rating based on content that's already there -- implying that if it was given a 12 rating then what was in there already was suitable for 12+, not needing any more cuts? If anything it would be logical for them to say "we want a lower rating in this region so we will take stuff out before it goes to be rated".
...or have I missed something important here?

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
So lemme get this straight. 9 year old girls in their underpants is okay but the blood had to go? 9 year old girls in fox ears and underpants but its the blood that is the issue. REALLY!? This is the one time not a single fuck was given about sex in video games?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I was playing the weekend open beta (And enjoyed the game enough to actually buy it) and there was a guild on the server I was playing on that was only recruiting Elin(sp?) players.

I'm convinced that guild was a federal sting operation to weed out the pedophiles.

Rouzeki

Feb 11, 2009
Here we go...

So basically everywhere across the west, SOMEONE has a problem with Tera.

Yes, I find the anger about the blood slider outrageous, but I wish everyone would just be quiet about the "Elin look like sexualized children" thing. if they do to you, they do. guess what? Top three of most things talked about on any of the newbie zone US beta servers was that ad nauseum.
please save your breath. WE KNOW....

You know where I get annoyed? the Elin clothing change for the US hardly did anything. people would rage (and have!) at that just like they'd rage at the prior, in my opinion, better designed models. the US design model anti-midriff work messes with a fair number of models that had ornate stuff around the midriff, and they all got different colors of boy shorts in exchange. I've hear of fan edits that look less revealing, and actually seemed to have more effort, if you'd ask me. Mind you that wouldn't change the fact that the animations are still there.

NOTHING would make the NA people happy involving Elin. Lost. CAUSE. It makes me not want to use my open beta key, because i was already running Tera "barely" on a toaster.

..Maybe its because I played as a Tarutaru(FF10) and immediately go to the smaller races in most MMO's first is why I'm not AS bothered by it. No matter how good or bad Tera will actually be in the west, the censorship (or lack thereof) is always the first thing I hear.