Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Harry Potter Fan Fiction

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Harry Potter Fan Fiction

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them feels like Harry Potter fan fiction. Official fan fiction, written by J.K. Rowling, but fan fiction nonetheless.

Read Full Article

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I shamelessly fit into category 1 so i'll go see and most likely enjoy the movie anyhow.

Apr 17, 2009
My friends and I were all in agreement that we'd be way more interested in seeing this if it were more of a travelogue/road-trip thing, where we follow Newt around the world as he looks for and catalogues the eponymous Fantastic Beasts. Make it more of a character driven thing as Scamander and his companions pal around the globe. Instead we get what is apparently reheated leftovers from Harry Potter only American this time because...because. A little disappointing

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I didn't grow up with Harry Potter like people around me did, so when I first saw the movie several years later I failed to see the appeal because of the huge flaws presented I sawy in the story, plot and motivation (Ron X Hermione was a really low point in the series for me). A fanstastic world that co-exist within our own is a fantastic and imaginative idea, that sadly they decided to keep consistent where it didn't matter and leave at interpretation what did matter. And seeing this movie's existance makes me feel like those 80's kids who saw Pok?mon Go and felt they were like a relic of their time of so out of touch they were.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Meh my flare for the franchise has long gone after the final book.

Even then reading the book first did not motiviate me to watch the rest of them in cinema and they aways have bad timing whenever they were on tv like it was on Boxing Day and I was out shopping!

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
Well, at least it wasn`t atrocious. I hate seeing great franchises getting wringed out for cash, but at least they seem to have TRIED here.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Borty The Bort said:
Well, at least it wasn`t atrocious. I hate seeing great franchises getting wringed out for cash, but at least they seem to have TRIED here.
As cash-ins go it's slightly more dignified than The Hobbit.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Sounds to me like the #1 drawback is the presence of Eddy Redmayne. Him being in this movie really set off MovieBob. And I don't see this movie as "fan fiction", so much as "J.K. Rowling's love letter to her American fans."

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I don't see what's weird about the word "no-maj" when you yanks already have so many new words for other things.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
You actually liked Tina? I thought (as well as the rest of family) that she was one of the worst parts of the movie. You couldn't tell whether she was being so anal because she was ambitious, or if because she really, really cares about the rules.

I couldn't hear Newt half of the time, but I do think that's audio's fault, because there were times when you could see his talent shine through.

As for the movie itself, it could be very very boring. It sets up an interesting world, but the story is kind of stupid. I think the idea of following a wizarding World War II is amazing, but shoehorning Newt into it will take some plot magic.

Also, wizarding America sucks balls. Serious, what a shit place.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Marter said:
Official fan fiction, written by J.K. Rowling, but fan fiction nonetheless.
Basically the same as the rest of Harry Potter then. They were entertaining enough as children's books, but you could hardly accuse them of being particularly original or well written.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Queen Michael said:
I don't see what's weird about the word "no-maj" when you yanks already have so many new words for other things.
It certainly sounds... American, I'll give it that.