Fantastic Four - Fantastic Failure

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Fantastic Four - Fantastic Failure

Fox has rebooted the Fantastic Four franchise in order to keep the film rights away from Marvel. Is there a worse reason to make a movie?

Read Full Article

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I think we all saw this coming, certainly from early trailers, and possibly even earlier, given the troubled development.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Called it...

Black guy was just tokenism that was used to stir up some controversy cause they knew their movie was bad and boring

You have superheros.. let them do superhero stuff! You have years of superhero movies to draw inspiration from... let them go out and let the characters play with their superpowers!

Not have them sit around the entire movie moping about them.

Captcha: forget this

huh... captcha seems awfully sentient again today.

Rikun

Nov 19, 2009
So at this point is it possible for this movie to do so poorly that Marvel can take it back, or is Fox able to just shit out a movie every ten years with no consequence?

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Rikun said:
So at this point is it possible for this movie to do so poorly that Marvel can take it back, or is Fox able to just shit out a movie every ten years with no consequence?
Fox needs to loose a lot of money for that to happen. But they've covered their basses for just in case that happens. It can't make money off of the ads so anyone buying that Denny's Thing burger is helping Fox. It needs to be last in the box office. I'm hoping the limited release DBZ movie is number one just to shame Fox forever.

However, baring a flop that poisons any Fox superhero movie to ever come out we have a problem.

Fox did this before with X3, but it just didn't' flop hard enough.
Then they did First Class and many people forgot how bad things can get.

Now Fantastic Four is even worse.
But Deadpool looks like it's in the perfect direction. Honest to the comics.
But do we really want Deadpool in every Fox movie trying to drag in the audience like with Wolverine?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guess it was devine fate that stop me and my mate from meeting up tomorrow to watched it.

Also at some point in the future, if the FF ever show the multiverse (one of the things they do in their comics) they would show an image of this film and possible the last two other different studio films aswell.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Rikun said:

No it's not because this film was super cheap only $120 million it would have to do Elektra bad for Fox to maybe give up on the franchise (they have until 2023 to release the next FF film).

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
medv4380 said:
Fox needs to loose a lot of money for that to happen. But they've covered their basses for just in case that happens. It can't make money off of the ads so anyone buying that Denny's Thing burger is helping Fox. It needs to be last in the box office. I'm hoping the limited release DBZ movie is number one just to shame Fox forever.

However, baring a flop that poisons any Fox superhero movie to ever come out we have a problem.

But do we really want Deadpool in every Fox movie trying to drag in the audience like with Wolverine?

I don't get this whole we want Disney to be the only one to make Marvel films because if Disney did do you think with at most 2-3 films a year we would ever have had a GotG or Antman film? let alone Dr Strange, Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Inhumans?

gonenow3

May 2, 2015
P-89 Scorpion said:
medv4380 said:

I don't get this whole we want Disney to be the only one to make Marvel films because if Disney did do you think with at most 2-3 films a year we would ever have had a GotG or Antman film? let alone Dr Strange, Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Inhumans?
There is such a thing as Super Hero fatigue and yes we'd still get GotG and Antman because adding new actors into the franchise is pretty cheap compared to having Ironman etc (Why we had Falcon in Antman rather than any of the other Avengers). Disney is a big company they can work out what to do with the characters (Plus the fact that all F4 movies have been pretty bad means they'd likely take a break anyhow)

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
At least the 90's Fantastic Four was made by people doing the best they could with an extremely limited budget thinking it was an actual release movie, with Actors who were doing there best and a Director doing their hardest.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
What is it with the Fantastic Four that makes them just sit around and do nothing with their powers in their movies? Is it really that hard to make them go rescue people from a fire or stop a bank robbery or something?

Khrowley

Feb 4, 2012
hittite said:
What is it with the Fantastic Four that makes them just sit around and do nothing with their powers in their movies? Is it really that hard to make them go rescue people from a fire or stop a bank robbery or something?
Yes because that would be fun and exciting where as this is supposed to be "DARK and GRITTY" meaning no fun at all.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
The lack of enough color or emotional expression from the cast in the trailers told me enough: I'm skipping this. I don't know why people say the 2005 movie was bad; that one matched the tone of the comics and had a "wow" factor. This one is lacking in any joy or excitement at all.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
P-89 Scorpion said:
medv4380 said:

You don't get it because you think of it as Disney making them, and not Marvel who still has a large amount of control compared to most aquired properties.

So do you want
A) Fox, an entity that only cares about the property as a Marketing Gimmik
or
B) Marvel, an entity that worked hard to create, and establish the property, and who's existence hinges on the property doing well.

Such a hard choice. What's more baffling is how people like you keep Fox going by putting up with their poor quality. They'd do better if they worked with movies they actually had to put in effort to create their franchise in the first place.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
medv4380 said:
You don't get it because you think of it as Disney making them, and not Marvel who still has a large amount of control compared to most aquired properties.

So do you want
or
B) Marvel, an entity that worked hard to create, and establish the property, and who's existence hinges on the property doing well.

Such a hard choice. What's more baffling is how people like you keep Fox going by putting up with their poor quality. They'd do better if they worked with movies they actually had to put in effort to create their franchise in the first place.
Marvel is owned by Disney, if Disney tells Marvel to do something they do it (like cancel the FF book and remove the X-men from nearly all merchandise so as not to advertise properties Fox owns the film rights too).

Disney and the current head of Marvel only see the Marvel films as nothing but a marketing gimmick that's why so much advertising for future films is packed into them regardless of the films current director's wishes.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
. .. Wait, no ... no .... NO ....

How? How did someone who made an amazing movie like Chronicle screw up a movie involving the Fantastic Four to this extent?!! You would think he'd take this project seriously, or make the best of it. I heard rumors of him coming in drunk off his hide, or s*** faced though so ... maybe Fox forced him into this.

Wow what a disappointment. What a disaster of a film where nearly every critic, reviewer, fan ... everyone I know is not happy with this film. It upsets me, to know they really dropped the ball on this film mainly because they don't want to give Marvel back these unique superheroes. It's petty stuff, like ... embarrassing so to say. Shame on you Fox for hogging this franchise and making it go downhill rather then respecting these characters.
It's simple. Chronicle was his baby, and he cared about it. However, he didn't give two rats about Fantastic Four. Talent isn't worth much without passion.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
P-89 Scorpion said:
medv4380 said:

So do you want
or

Marvel is owned by Disney, if Disney tells Marvel to do something they do it (like cancel the FF book and remove the X-men from nearly all merchandise so as not to advertise properties Fox owns the film rights too).

Disney and the current head of Marvel only see the Marvel films as nothing but a marketing gimmick that's why so much advertising for future films is packed into them regardless of the films current director's wishes.
Marvels blood feud with Fox goes back to long before Disney ever bought Marvel, and their writing XMen and FF out goes back to when they did Iron Man. Something about a lawsuit which was more of Fox throwing a tantrum because Marvel wasn't exclusively marketing XMen related mutant properties. XMen doesn't look much like it did in its height in the 90's, but it has little to do with Disney. It might seem to someone unfamiliar with comics, but the decent of Cyclops into a villain was planned out in the 90's with the references to the Summers Rebellion.

But keep you revisionist history. I don't really care how twisted you mind wants it to be.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
The Thing doesn't wear pants. They must have figured no one would see him naked anyway.

Yeah, all I've heard is that this movie is dreck. Utter and complete garbage. And I'm not surprised. Fox obviously knew it was bad as they have been hiding this movie the whole time. I didn't even know it was coming out already.

medv4380 said:
Rikun said:
That would be awesome and hilarious. And honestly, it could happen. I have no idea how many people have seen this movie, but when I saw Resurrection F Tuesday, the theater was packed. It would be difficult for DBZ to completely wreck this movie, but not impossible if it does really poorly.

medv4380 said:

Actually how does Fox have the rights to Deadpool? I thought they only had Fantastic Four and X-Men. Is it just because Deadpool is semi related to Wolverine?

That being said, Deadpool does actually look good. And I think a large chunk of that is that the people making the movie seem to care. So that goes a long way. Still, I can see things going poorly in the long run. I guess we should try to enjoy the ride while it lasts and let the companies fight about rights.

P-89 Scorpion said:
Quality > Quantity

I'd rather have one Guardians of the Galaxy than two Fant4stick

Also, aren't all of those movies you mentioned being made by Marvel as part of Phase 3?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Well, a Fantastic Four is getting trashed in reviews and another super hero (team) is getting their origin retold in cinemas again. What's new?

I swear their needs to be a law against super hero origin stories in movies more than once ever 20 years. A quick 2 minute flash back montage or subtle hints in dialog to retcon and fill in characters' backgrounds is fine, but spending most of a movie redoing everything again is getting pretty damn stale, even is otherwise good movies. At least the Ed Norton Hulk glossed over the accident that makes him big green and mean in a brief flashback, instead of spending 1/2 of the runtime on something the audience either knows, can infer from context, or doesn't even care about.

People seriously need to stop seeing these out of curiosity or because they decided to go to the movies and FF was the only cool sounding movie that was starting soon, and definitly stop buying whatever merchandise Fox has managed to squeeze out of this movie. (I think they got a deal with Crush, the soda brand. Wow.) Those are the only reasons Fox is still making bank on this. Don't take your kids to see it, just because it's Marvel. Tell them it's boring and you'll rent it later. At least that's the truth this time.

The movies are getting even cheaper too, with production placement in the second (the Dodge hovercar?) and now cheaper leads. It's starting to show that they are desperate to punch out something cheap that will fill the seats on name alone until word of mouth spreads that the movie is dung. Maybe Marvel's merchandising embargo on FF stuff and the resulting box office numbers will be enough for Fox to cave in (or put some actual effort into the next one).