Fantastic Four Reboot Delayed Again

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Fantastic Four Reboot Delayed Again

Fox delays the Josh Trank-directed superhero reboot for a second time

That no one has seen more than the tiniest teases of Fox's Fantastic Four reboot has been the Deadpool movie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/moviebob/12145-Fox-s-Upcoming-The-Fantastic-Four-Isn-t-Getting-Any-Hype] being set up for February 2016 were release-date changes to multiple other Fox projects, including Four being pushed from it's original June 19th 2015 spot to August 7th. The Michael Fassbender-starring Assassin's Creed adaptation that had originally claimed the August 7 spot has in turn been pushed to 2016 on the grounds that it will not be finished in time.

Four will reportedly be replaced in the June spot by Paper Towns, a young-adult romance Fox is hoping will perform similarly to its own The Fault in Our Stars in a similar spot this year. While a June opening-spot would traditionally be reserved for films a studio is confident will become major hits, August has often been thought of as a "dumping ground" for releases in which studios have little confidence. However, that logic was challenged this year when Marvel Studios' August-opening Guardians of The Galaxy became the #1 film of the year (so far). [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137155-Friday-Box-Office-Guardians-of-The-Galaxy-Set-to-Become-1-Film-of-2014]

The film, which is being directed by major deviations [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5333-Chronicle] from the lore and aesthetic of the famous Marvel comic characters. Miles Teller stars as Mr. Fantastic, with Kate Mara as Invisible Woman, Jamie Bell as The Thing and Michael B. Jordan as The Human Torch.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/x-men-spinoff-deadpool-gets-734172]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
While I did enjoy Chronicle, am not overly fussed about this particular movie coming out.

Looking forward to Deadpool though

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I'm still waiting for the day when Disney/Marvel says "Look guys, we've got more money than god. Here's a check, tell us how many 0's you want on it then give us our stuff back."

I still probably wouldn't be interested in seeing a Fantastic Four movie even if Marvel was at the helm, but I'd imagine they'd do a hell of a lot better of a job than Fox can.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Yes, Guardians did well in August. Will this new Fantastic Four flick also defy expectations?
Probably not. An August release date in conjunction with a lack of marketing doesn't inspire confidence. Then there's the baggage of being associated with the previous two movies. Also 20th Century Fox.

Perhaps we get an X-Men: First Class out of this, though. So who knows?

On a related note: I'm not quite sure how I should be feeling about Fox retaining the Fantastic Four franchise. On the one hand it prevents Disney/Marvel from incorporating the Fantastic Four, the Silver Surfer (whose inclusion in the Infinity Gauntlet inspired overarching plot of the current movies would make a lot of sense), Galactus, and the Skrulls into the MCU. On the other hand it also sort of forced Disney/Marvel to gamble on such things as GotG instead of milking the better known FF cash cow.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Dont know why they released a reboot if they have almost zero faith in it. Im sure that they just released it to keep the rights, but thing is they could have released something amazing instead of mediocre. Thing is they should just show footage or pictures of the team in action. Maybe they will look great when in costume and in action - they have only left fans with controversial changes and the negative fall out of that. Look at JJ, wernt that happy with him doing Star Wars but now he has shown photos of Falcon as a model etc it makes me more positive that it will turn out good.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
Dont know why they released a reboot if they have almost zero faith in it. Im sure that they just released it to keep the rights, but thing is they could have released something amazing instead of mediocre. Thing is they should just show footage or pictures of the team in action. Maybe they will look great when in costume and in action - they have only left fans with controversial changes and the negative fall out of that. Look at JJ, wernt that happy with him doing Star Wars but now he has shown photos of Falcon as a model etc it makes me more positive that it will turn out good.
Because amazing takes a lot more work than mediocre and, as you said, they have zero faith in it. At this point, it became obvious they are doing it simply to keep the rights, so paying an indie director chump change to make this still works.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Huh. If they keep this up [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137530-fox-confirms-deadpool-movie-coming-in-2016] then Fox might just convince me that theyre listening to thier prospective audience.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Devin Barker said:
Great news! couple more delays and maybe this pile can be flat out canceled.
Unlikely. The entire thing is already in post-<link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fantastic_Four_%282015_film%29#Filming>production.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
Some time between now and the movie's release Bob needs to do a Big Picture on the other Fantastic Four movie that was made just to keep the license.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
C. Cain said:
Devin Barker said:
Great news! couple more delays and maybe this pile can be flat out canceled.
Unlikely. The entire thing is already in post-<link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fantastic_Four_%282015_film%29#Filming>production.
Is it acceptable to just choose to live in a world where its not even being made?

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Devin Barker said:
Is it acceptable to just choose to live in a world where its not even being made?
There's plenty of people who live in their own little worlds. So, yes. Probably.
Personally, I hope it either bombs spectacularly like Green Lantern or turns out to be great. Just as long as it isn't boringly bland...

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Last I saw, their Doctor Doom looked like he was dipped up to his neck in silver latex. Maybe the post-production necessary to make that look good requires more time than they originally budgeted. However good Chronicle was, it didn't have much in the way of visual flair. Unless they brought on somebody else to oversee the art development for the rest of the special effects, this movie is going to look terribly dull.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
hermes200 said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Because amazing takes a lot more work than mediocre and, as you said, they have zero faith in it. At this point, it became obvious they are doing it simply to keep the rights, so paying an indie director chump change to make this still works.
Agreed. But you do wonder even keep the rights if they are just going to release mediocre movies that fail. Might as well put the work in to enable a successful series of movies and make some cash.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Oh for the love Odin, Fox, just sell the FF back to Marvel already! Focus on the X-Men, you're (mostly) good at those movies anyway!

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Mangue Surfer said:
They just doing another of these to maintain the rights. Whatever you are expecting, expect less.
I don't get it. I mean, I do, but it doesn't make sense to me. The consensus is obviously "Marvel is making all the monies in the world with the franchises that they still have, so we need to keep Fantastic out of their hands so that they can't make money with it."

What I don't get is, why are they thinking "making it cheap and shitty to keep Marvel from getting it back and making money off of it," as opposed to "make it well, so that we can get in the "money printing" business that marvel is in, while still accomplishing the task of keeping the rights from reverting,"?

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Diana Kingston-Gabai said:
Roger Corman's probably laughing his butt off right about now. :)
Best. Post. Ever.

So how late does this have to be before the rights revert back to Marvel/Disney or do they hold the rights as long as the film is in production?