Fantastic Four Reboot's Doctor Doom Is a Russian Blogger?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Fantastic Four Reboot's Doctor Doom Is a Russian Blogger?

Actor Toby Kebbell may have revealed the new origin of his iconic Marvel villain

Even though fans have a big departure [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/moviebob/12145-Fox-s-Upcoming-The-Fantastic-Four-Isn-t-Getting-Any-Hype] from its source material. But the actor playing Doctor Doom may have now revealed just how different things might be.

In a video interview with Planet of The Apes [http://collider.com/doctor-doom-new-origin-fantastic-four-movie/] films) offered up that the character now has a Russian surname ...and a surprising occupation:

"He's Victor Domashev, not Victor Von Doom in our story. And I'm sure I'll be sent to jail for telling you that. The Doom in ours - I'm a programmer. Very anti-social programmer. And on blogging sites I'm 'Doom.'"

One of Marvel Comics' most iconic supervillains, Doctor Doom has traditionally begun as Victor Von Doom, a scientist and magic-practitioner of Romani descent who rules over the fictional nation of Latveria and blames Reed "Mr. Fantastic" Richards for his (supposed) disfigurement in an accident when they were college students. He was portrayed previously by Julian McMahon in an earlier adaptation of the series, which also took significant liberties with the character's origin and background.

Source: Collider [http://collider.com/doctor-doom-new-origin-fantastic-four-movie/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Okay... odd. This does sound discouraging, but of course, it's not quite enough information to judge just yet. I guess we'll see, but I'm not super hopeful.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
So Doom's just some angry internet blogger?

I can see it now;

Fantastic Four (2015)
Plot Synopsis; It's actually about ethics in games journalism...

Boy, I hope the warranty on my flame shield is still good.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Kmadden2004 said:

I can see it now;

Fantastic Four (2015)

Here, you can borrow mine, too.

You've earned it.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Wow. Just... I didn't think I could be any less excited for this movie. My scale of not-excited just found a new low... it may even be at or beyond zero.

Captcha: Take the cake
Well said Inglip, well said.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Kmadden2004 said:

I can see it now;

Fantastic Four (2015)

Take mine, that made me laugh way too much. XD

OT: Well, I don't know how I feel about this. Dr. Doom has always been one of my favorite villains in comics, and this seems like an insult to the Doctor.

Wait...angry Russian Blogger...does he rant about the stuff New 52 Clark Kent writes!? XD

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
So he's a blogger who gets his villain name from his online handle. That's like something a teenager with no imagination would do.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
WonkyWarmaiden said:
What was Zero Cool taken when he had to choose a username?
I bet he wanted Acid Burn but it was taken as well. :p

I wonder if anyone will get that reference...

Anywho, lets not forget that it's already been revealed that he'll look like Commander General of the Putty Patrol from the Power Rangers. This just keeps getting better and better. I think we're well beyond being able to equate the liberties being taken with this franchise to Michael Bay wanting to make the Ninja Turtles into aliens. At least someone was able to talk Bay out of going through with it. Then again, they did specifically say that the movie is going to have absolutely nothing to do with the comics...so it's literally going to be more of a Fantastic 4 fan-fic than a movie rendition of a comic book franchise.

No wonder Marvel decided to bring an end to the Fantastic 4 comics. :p

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Now I KNOW Sony is just screwing with everybody. This will either be so bizarre it's awful or so bizarre it's awesome.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
WhiteTigerShiro said:
So he's a blogger who gets his villain name from his online handle. That's like something a teenager with no imagination would do.
Adults are pretty much just teenagers, just more cynical. You only need to look at, well, anything political to learn this.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Man. Just Fuck Fox right in the ear for this.

It's like they want to make Marvel fans hate them or something. I mean you can take many liberties and still have people be supportive. Look at the X-Men movies. They've made plenty of changes, but still work as a comic adaptation. This just seems like they've wiped their ass with our comic collections and are now waving the stinking pages in our faces.

I mean c'mon. Doctor Doom is one of Marvel's best most iconic characters. Doom deserves so much better.

I never want a movie to tank. Honestly. I always hope for them to be good. But this one has set a new standard. It doesn't even seem like they want to make a Fantastic Four movie. Why even bother with the license? I know they have a rivalry with Disney, but for the love of God this sounds awful.

I hope this one tanks so bad that Marvel has a legal case against them. Defamation of Brand or something. Because nothing I've heard of it seems like they have any respect for the legacy of the books.

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
So he is a blogger who gets his panties in a twist and goes crazy? Where does he post his blogs, tumblr? Come on I need details! This is so bad sounding it can only be a success!

Doopliss64

Jul 20, 2011
In this timeline the "Fantastic Four" is an indie dev that sends out a copyright strike against Victor Fucking Domashev Son after a particularly scathing review post, thus inciting him to hunt them down in a fan-made Power Rangers costume and beat them with a novelty dragon dildo.

I mean, that might as well be the synopsis considering nobody's actually going to see this damn thing.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
I'll be shot for this, but I kinda did like the Doctor Doom of the first set of Fantastic Four movies, where he was a Billionair who was hit by the same cosmic rays as the others and his skin turned metal as a result.
Yeah, CEO guy turned Evil isn't exactly a ground breaking, but I think we can all agree it suited the character FAR better then this...

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Can someone loan me a flamethrower? I seem to have misplaced mine. Screaming "Kill it! Kill it with fire!" doesn't have the same gravitas unless I am wielding a flamethrower.