Fantastic Four Trailer Reveals Radical Re-Imagining

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
WarpedLord said:
IOwnTheSpire said:
I'll wait and see what people think of the movie when it comes out before I decide to see it or not.

Also, Man of Steel was NOT dark and gritty, people. Not even close.
Really? Besides Supes' costume (and even the red and blue there were heavily muted!), the entire color palette of that movie was comprised of grey, black, and brown... and there wasn't a single iota of humor in the entire film.

If that doesn't qualify as "dark and gritty", what does?
People have said when they saw the suit up close, the colours weren't as muted as they thought.

Also, when people talk about dark and gritty, they usually mean the subject matter, not the colour palette.

Darth Marsden

Sep 12, 2008
Winnosh said:
Ok yeah yeah, dark gritty reboot of a comedic fantasy series... but why isn't anyone talking about them changing the logo. Fantastic four has been a 4 in the middle of a circle since time began Why god why is it a square now :(
[youtube]LB5YkmjalDg[/youtube]

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
You know what realy grates me about this trailer, if you watch it there is no mention of FOX by name just the 'from this stufio' thing, yet there is a good long shot of the marvel logo. Blatantly missleadeing advertisment, in my opinion they shouldnt be allowed to do stuff like that.

*edit* i stand corrected i saw this as an advert on youtube earlier and completely missed the fox logo at the start so don't jump down my throat too much and just ignore the above statement.

Anyway onto the actual trailer, my goodness that is hideous, so dark and dull, are they realy trying to emulate man of steel because that's how it felt to me. I actualy kinda liked man of steel since it put me in mind more of an elseworld tale which is my actual preferance for superman, i find him kinda boring in the normal canon. But that trailer, i dunno it seems to lack any kind of vitality to it, life and fun is what i'd expect from a superhero movie about a family that gains powers and fights crime/villans as side activity.

The impressions i got from that trailer were basicly this movie is called fantastic four, it has bugger all todo with the comics and established character's other than in namesake, so fuck you were making this film just to hold onto the rights, and if it flops will just let it lapse for a few years like we did last time.

I can honestly say im not impressed and have no interest in seeing this, and i love comic books and movie adaptations.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
IOwnTheSpire said:
Galactus was not a cloud, he was IN the cloud. A giant man in a purple suit would've looked ridiculous.
A giant man in a purple suit would have been awesome.
tf2godz said:
I just noticed something, the things not wearing pants. WHAT THE FUCK!
Maybe some full frontal nudity of a rock monster will get some butts in theater seats. I'd probably catch a matinee showing to see that.

Edit:
Seishisha said:
You know what realy grates me about this trailer, if you watch it there is no mention of FOX by name just the 'from this stufio' thing, yet there is a good long shot of the marvel logo. Blatantly missleadeing advertisment, in my opinion they shouldnt be allowed to do stuff like that.
I noticed that too. They put Marvel's name on there but not their own. Seems shady.

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
Yeh it didn't make me want to watch the film....and seeing as I'm on the fence

I'll wait for more meaty trailers and/or reviews but yeh, it really did nothing for me, except maybe reafirm my belief that this isn't a wanted or needed movie right now

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Well, that was a trailer. Nothing really stands out about it.

I'm not a F4 fan, or a comic book fan at that, but I'm hoping it's at least good on its own. I did enjoy Chronicle.

And of course, the youtube comments are mostly people complaining about a character being black.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Winnosh said:
Ok yeah yeah, dark gritty reboot of a comedic fantasy series... but why isn't anyone talking about them changing the logo. Fantastic four has been a 4 in the middle of a circle since time began Why god why is it a square now :(
Yeah, I'm really just not into the concept they're showing off for this Fant-Four-Stic trailer. I really didn't like the other two Fantastic Four movies and I'm not going to go to any lengths to watch the 'unreleased' FF flick from the 90's. I don't dislike the Fantastic Four comics in general...conceptually anyway (I haven't read many FF comics or arcs honestly) but the movies just don't do anything for me...especially a movie that looks like it wants to be Mass Effect with more of an emphasis on Super Powers and a whole lot less of an emphasis on Space travel.

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
It is not good when with in the first few seconds I think I am watching the trailer for Interstellar and have to double check that it is the trailer for Fantastic Four.

Also really "From the studio that brought you X-Men: Days of Future Past" that's all your going to give as reference point. I would have preferred "From the director of Chronicle", that is the only reason I may see it in theaters. I loved Chronicle and have re-watched it may times.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
How did 16 year olds manage to become experienced scientists and astronaughts?

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Well, it was a trailer. And it's about as boring and generic as you can get.

At least it didn't feature that Hans Zimmer *BWOOOOOOOOOM* noise.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Felt like I was watching the Age of Ultron trailer again.

No sense of fun. Too serious and dark a tone. The key difference here being that people expect Age of Ultron to be light-hearted and fun despite the trailers...and this movie could easily be no fun all the way through.

Ultimately, this trailer was completely ineffective at making me want to see the movie.

gwilym101

Sep 12, 2011
This looked so dull and generic.

Nothing in the trailer aside from a brief shot of a rocky "thing" doing something to suggest that this is a Fantastic Four movie. Plus who thought it was a clever thing to spell it FANT4STIC? It's not clever and it never has been.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
From the trailer, it looks like it might be interesting. (Thought I'm one of those weird people who actually loved Ultimate Fantastic Four, so take it with a grain of salt) This trailer does nothing to deal with the one issue (and just one issue) I have had with the reboot, but I don't expect that to be touched in the trailer in any way.[footnote]And yes, I'm talking about THAT issue.[/footnote] At the very least this trailer makes me interested in seeing the next ones.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
babinro said:
Felt like I was watching the Age of Ultron trailer again.

No sense of fun. Too serious and dark a tone. The key difference here being that people expect Age of Ultron to be light-hearted and fun despite the trailers...and this movie could easily be no fun all the way through.

Ultimately, this trailer was completely ineffective at making me want to see the movie.
Seriously? This seems delusional, as it's been quite obvious to me that AoU is supposed to be a huge downer of a movie. Awesome and important, yes, maybe with a few jokes tossed in because it's Whedon and that's what he does, but light hearted and fun? It seems like Marvel is setting it up as the second movie in a trilogy (sort of way), where it ends on such a serious, somber way that you just HAVE to come back and see the last movie to see that Good Triumphs over Evil because after the way the second movie ended, that just Has To Happen.

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
hmm, i'm intrigued. I never actually been a big fan of fantastic four, not that i thought they were bad in any way. There were just always other superhero groups that I preferred over them. After seeing the prior movies and being underwhelmed, they have yet to really gain my interest. This trailer has however. I think it looks good so far. Seems grittier than the previous films, resembles X-men: DoFP somewhat in style and tone.
I'll be looking out for this one, though it may fade from my sights with all these other superhero movies coming out that I am already excited to see.

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
The problem with the route they went is, not matter how good or bad the film is, its not the Fantastic Four. The other films, including the horrible unreleased one, were at least Fantastic Four movies.

I hated the other movies so much when I saw them, but but seeing this makes me think I was too hard on them. At least they were what they were supposed to be. I just want a fantastic four movie, even if it's not a great one. They should just change the title and names in this movie an make it something else.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Let us mention Days of Future Past in a trailer that bears no resemblance to the aesthetic or thematic choices of that film. Brilliant!

As for the trailer itself though, meh. The Thing looks like shit which is why I imagine they show us so little of him.

Burnouts3s3 said:
Just a quick topic to ask everyone: What did you all think of the Fantastic Four films by Tim Story and how does this trailer compare with your impressions?
Well that is a trap if I ever seen one. But yes, I do think this looks like a more dour but probably more solid film than either of his Fantastic Four... things. Unfortunately if this film is bad it won't have the laughably awful so-bad-it's-good quality of the first Fantastic Four film though.

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
V TheSystem V said:
Burnouts3s3 said:
Just a quick topic to ask everyone: What did you all think of the Fantastic Four films by Tim Story and how does this trailer compare with your impressions?
I liked them when they were released, but didn't have enough knowledge of the comics to really know how awful a representation of the Fantastic 4 they really were. Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis made them fun, but in hindsight that was probably the only saving grace. Also Jessica Alba, who was probably my first proper celebrity crush. Though Galactus was a travesty. HE'S A MASSIVE ALIEN DUDE, NOT A FUCKING CLOUD!

I still need to read the comics and find out why Dr Doom is so great a villain, because the film did not do him justice from what I've heard. This film won't harness how evil he is either, from what fans have been saying, so I will have to find all this stuff out for myself.

Can anyone recommend a good F4 storyline to read?
This site is fantastic (no pun intended) for people trying to get into Marvel comics:

http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/

If you're looking to start at the beginning of it all with Fantastic Four #1, nothing beats this site:

http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/reading-order.php