Fantastic Four Trailer Reveals Radical Re-Imagining

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
I was honestly expecting this teaser to either never appear or to be a hell of alot worse. It's nothing earth shattering but it has sufficiently teased me and left me in some form or another wanting more. Part of me is still 'wanting it to fail so Marvel gets the rights back camp' but if it surprises me and everyone else is actually good or even atleast good enough. I'll be okay if that doesn't happen.

EDIT: On reflection since they've come up apparently, I'll just add that I neither remember the trailers for the first two Fantastic Four movies or have particularly fond memories of them. The titular four(and Dr. Doom) were all decently cast and had accurate costumes, but that might have been all they had going for them.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
While that is a decidedly 'meh' trailer, i'll still go see it based on Marvels track record and whats-her-face from House of Cards alone.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Guys...

Guys, they tried to use the 4 in place of an "A".

FANT[4]STIC.

Stick a fork in it, it's done.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
tf2godz said:
I just noticed something, the things not wearing pants. WHAT THE FUCK!
That takes "ITS CLOBBERING TIME" to a whole new level....

OT: looks meh to me, but then so did first class, fox have been doing okay ish as of late with X-men so i'm willing to give this a chance.

will need to see more before i can say it looks good or bad.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Eh, first I wanted to make fun of the Fant4stic title, but O'm still hoping that will be phased out, for their sake, you know, like 5nal Destination or thi4f.

Hell, I still can't comprehend se7en.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
MovieBob said:
Also unrevealed: Doctor Doom, though the character is supposedly present.

From leaks I take it this from around the 1:30 [http://youtu.be/e-BVs-KCSiA?t=1m30s] mark is Viccy..

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
walrusaurus said:
While that is a decidedly 'meh' trailer, i'll still go see it based on Marvels track record and whats-her-face from House of Cards alone.

Why would you go to see it based on Marvel's track record? This things isn't being made by Marvel...

Ok, three things:

1. "Dark and Gritty" has got to stop being used for everything that isn't colorful and energetic. Yeah, I hate the tone of this trailer too but it is not Dark and Gritty. What it is is pseudo-philosophical sci-fi with absolutely no sense of fun.

2. Hey, so, Chronicle was a good film. But you know what made Chronicle great? It gave us a large chunk of the movie where the main characters use their powers to just...have fun. Pull pranks. Fly around the city. Impress girls. Do magic tricks. It was funny. It was real. And while the entire film is serious as all get-out, those moments of levity are what make the final act so heart-rending. Those characters were real humans and we connect with them not while two of them shout platitudes at each other in a thunderstorm like gods, but when they goof off and act like humans. So please, for the love of good movies...find some heart in this thing! Because if all of the "human" interactions in this film revolve around spurious exposition and the token awkward romance, this film is gonna fail miserably.

3. You know why I would see this movie? Michael B. Jordan could very well make a fantastic (heh heh heh) Human Torch and I want to see if his role in Chronicle wasn't just a fluke. Because if he can pull off two good superhero roles, I'd like to see him in something a little more permanent (whether that's Marvel's films or the CW DC shows or [provided they start getting good] the Justice League movies). The rest of the cast...meh. And yes, that includes the girl from House of Cards.

Also, are we really back to the age of replacing letters with numbers? We're not in the 00's anymore, we're halfway through the 10's. It's time to let that fad die out.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
I saw the trailer, and if anything, the film will look gorgeous. Many of the shots in the trailer look amazing.

But? there's that slight issue of whenever the actors spoke in the trailer it was, um, terrible. Can I just watch this movie without dialogue?

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
If I didn't know this was supposed to be an F4 film it might look pretty good on it's own merits.

...even if it does look like they tried to make "The Fly" into a team film.

1. Scientists go into science pods
2. Science Happens
3. "We meddled in God's domain!"
4. Drama.

But it's not a stand alone film, and as an adaptation of the Fantastic Four this looks godawful. If there's one property in the Marvel library that doesn't need to me realistic or grounded, it's the Fantastic Four. I've said it before but it bears repeating.

You have a series where a man named "Von Doom" rules his own country with an army of "Doom bots" and regularly threatens the populace with bullshit super science.
His main enemies are a stretchy genius, an invisible woman, and two idiots who are respectively on fire and made of rocks.

There is just NO WAY to play that straight and realistic and expect to get away with it. Just open the flood gates and let the quantum neutrino rays, unstable molecules, and cosmic rays pour out.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Dandres said:
It is not good when with in the first few seconds I think I am watching the trailer for Interstellar and have to double check that it is the trailer for Fantastic Four.

Also really "From the studio that brought you X-Men: Days of Future Past" that's all your going to give as reference point. I would have preferred "From the director of Chronicle", that is the only reason I may see it in theaters. I loved Chronicle and have re-watched it may times.
Actually, it's funny that you mentioned Interstellar and the website TheMarySue actually took the Interstellar's audio and placed it on top of the Fantastic 4's trailer...and it MATCHED EXACTLY.

http://www.themarysue.com/the-interstellar-four/#ooid=RldzIxczrT3nnY4tCrLGMoPU2o42L3ST

m-GMJYCfUS8[/youtube]

OT: What else can I say? You can place another trailer's audio and it will still work.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
and i didn't get gritty vibe from that. i got stupid. the kind of "ooh you are a genius 16 year old! now you are 19! so we are going to put you int his machine that we will never really explain what it will do because we dont have any other expendable meat-sack. yeah have fun with that. also it will give you superpowers because why not." this did not make me want to see the movie. the thing looks rather awful, and i dont have any idea why the trailer should start with those quotes and secenery shots. it just screams of stupidity.
about the black dude :i dont get it. arent Susan and johnny supposed to be siblings? how the hell is one black?

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I think that the inverted commas on "realistic" should be much bigger. We all know that there is no fun in real life.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
So, is this going to be another case of "We have stupid people, but let's leave them alone and put all of our geniuses in an incredibly dangerous machine and see what happens." Also, why do they need answers? What are the questions? Who is the enemy? What are they fighting? This feels like Interstellar or Man of Steel, just a bunch of sentimental nonsense that can't hold up in a two-hour movie.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Ok so yeah they do have dark and gritty... and I'm out.

I don't want this, I didn't even want it with Batman for christ sake and I endorse this by going to see it.

Silvver

Aug 21, 2009
Deathfish15 said:
EWWWWWWWWWW!

Disgusting, absolutely disgusting!. They turned a comic book classic into a teenage angst movie. Ewww!
This. Genuinely my first thought was 'Great another Teen Angst movie'. Nothing wrong with being chipper and happy film makers. The original films didn't blow any minds but i liked their bright and flashy design.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
Obviously I wish they would just sell the rights back to Marvel. But I'm not hating the trailer.

I wish I didn't sound like a racist prick when I say this, but I don't like The Human Torch and Sue Storm not being clearly biologically brother and sister.
If anything, make them both Native American and the last name "Storm" would probably be assumed to have some tribal meaning, especially given the elemental nature of Johnny's powers.

My point is that The Fantastic Four are all about family. Two of the four are already a family when they get their powers and the rest of them grow together and become a family and extended family because of the experiences they share. It's a story of family and I think they need to show strong family roots from the beginning so we see how they all become a family.
If it's just a studio thing where they were told they needed to show diversity, then make Reed, Ben or Doom fill out the race card or BOTH Sue and Johnny then give them a non-anglo surname that means Storm. They're the core of the family when the FF become the FF and family is at the core of what makes the Fantastic Four.

X-Men needs troubled, alienated teenagers just like Fantastic Four needs to be a family from their team inception because FF is about family.

JennAnge

May 15, 2012
Welp this looks just as bad as we all thought, and I think we should form a large movement of people on the interweb who will all agree to go see it on opening night. JUST TO MESS WITH SOME HEADS!

(I kid. I'd rather give my 20 canadian dollars to the first charity donation box I run across, including the one that emasculates cats)

30 seconds into the trailer I stopped it to check the title and made sure I wasn't seeing some advertisement for Suncor or other large corporation. I'm trying to think how they could have made their trailer even more boring and, barring the removal of one explosion scene, I got nada.

i4njw

May 7, 2014
tf2godz said:
is anyone else scare by the fact we don't see a good shot of the thing or no shots of doom in the suit. the cgi going suck isn't it.
Wow, so a couple of characters are left out of plain view and your immediate first thought is, "They're hiding something! This is gonna be terrible!!" Maybe, I dunno, they want some things for later trailers and don't want to fall into the Amazing Spider-Man trap of revealing too much in a trailer?

Also, the two shots of the Thing (him busting out of the rock and the shot from the back) look fine. I think you're jumping to conclusions here, mate.

mrjoe94

Sep 28, 2009
C.S.Strowbridge said:
The best part of the original Fantastic Four movies was Chris Evans as Johnny Storm, because he was actually excited to be a super hero. They took the one part that worked and removed it.

On the plus side, I think the movie rights to the Fantastic Four will being going back to Marvel soon enough.
I think Michael Chiklis as the Thing had the same attitude which made them both pretty good.