Far Cry 2 - Please tell me this game gets better soon...

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
Got it free with a graphics card, didn't make it past the first map.

There's all sorts I likes about that game, never had any bother with save systems or getting from place to place, I like the firefights.

Everyone here has covered the reasons this game feels flat after a while, I wouldn't call it "Too sandbox", all that means to me is the freedom of pick-a-path.

It just gets stale doing the same missions again and again fighting x amount of random a-holes on the way there.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
mooncalf said:
Got it free with a graphics card, didn't make it past the first map.

There's all sorts I likes about that game, never had any bother with save systems or getting from place to place, I like the firefights.

Everyone here has covered the reasons this game feels flat after a while, I wouldn't call it "Too sandbox", all that means to me is the freedom of pick-a-path.

It just gets stale doing the same missions again and again fighting x amount of random a-holes on the way there.
I have found that setting the game to 'easy' while travelling makes it less irritating, if a little unsatisfying.

The guard stations aren't so bad when you can casually gun them down with a couple of shots.

It is still a black mark on the game for me that I need to do that to ease my boredom though. Have only done this ever once or twice (Oblivion gates, anyone?)

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Yeah, unfortunately, it doesn't get any better. Far Cry 2 has its fun moments, but it is on the very exclusive list of games I've never finished. Those things you hate? You end up doing them over and over and over again. Unless you stop playing, that is.

virko

Mar 17, 2009
coldalarm said:
I, personally, loved FC2 once I "made myself" play it. I sat down, put it in and played it for a day. Loved every moment of it, once I got started.

Unless you go completely gung-ho, you shouldn't die too often. Sniper rifles are a near must for it, though.
This sums up my initial thoughts on the game. While I was at first reluctant to pick the game up, I eventually came around and gave it a go. I really enjoyed the challenges presented on the hardcore difficulty, but it became a little easy once you got a sniper rifle. As for the overland travel and the open world, it was certainly the weakest aspect of the game (or so I thought). Travel was tedious even with the bus travel points and missions often required multiple trips though checkpoints. While the environment was pretty stunning, I found little incentive to go bush bashing into some of the more obscure parts of the map, despite the cases of diamonds available. However, I played though and got to the end of the second act, when the game put me in a position where I was unable to accept the main mission, and was thus unable to proceed with the game. Talk about the let down, I was looking forward to bringing the game to a conclusion, only to be disappointed by a bug.. NWN2 OC anyone?

Anyway, to address the OP, I had no problems with the save system because of the quicksave function. Im not sure about the consoles, but on the PC, this really streamlined the process and rendered safehouses and blue medkits redundant. Yes, the travel may be boring and repetitive, but I think that in some sense its worth it to further the story and experience some of the other set-piece gunfights.

As for Saints Row 2.. do it! Few games can claim to be as entertaining as that gem, including FC2 :).

- Cam

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
miracleofsound said:
I thought it was a good game, and I'm actually thinking about purchasing it. The multiplayer and level editor are pretty good. It's just one of those games that'll you either like from the beginning or hate from the start.
Level editor was definately interesting... hopefully more games will start including stuff like this. Would love to build my own (penis shaped) COD4 map to shoot my buddies on.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
miracleofsound said:
(Oblivion gates, anyone?)
LOL, after realising there was more loot than I could carry and more trouble than It was worth, I just used a high speed and acrobatic stat to dodge and sprint past all the enemies I could to just get to the key and nab it quickly.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
mooncalf said:
miracleofsound said:
(Oblivion gates, anyone?)
LOL, after realising there was more loot than I could carry and more trouble than It was worth, I just used a high speed and acrobatic stat to dodge and sprint past all the enemies I could to just get to the key and nab it quickly.
Nice... I ended up doing pretty much the same thing.

If there is one thing Beth need to look at, it's environmental repitition!

Blurbl

Feb 8, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=-UT9FGg6ZOk

The general tips this guy uses made the game a lot more bearable for me.

Have a balanced load-out, Sniper Rifle, Uzi, and Rocket Launcher.
You should be driving off-road the majority of the time.
When you get good at sniping you can literally clear an outpost in 4-5 seconds.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
This has cemented my belief that I am the only person in the world who likes Far Cry 2.

To me, the game is what you make of it. If you don't expect too much, experiment and dick about, then if you're like me you will have fun. If you accept it for what it is - a sandbox with story added for the hell of it - then its actually a really fun game.

If you expect it to be rich in story, side quests, unlocks and all that stuff, then you will be disappointed. Personally I loved feeling like nasty merc chappie, playing both sides of the factions, exploring the different areas and finding weird and wonderful ways to kill stuff.

But if you don't like it now, chances are the rest of the game wont make you change your tune.

Scarecrow38

Apr 17, 2008
The game was tedious for me too. What got me through was that it felt like I was in a James Bond movie (no idea why) and that once you get like 75% through the story becomes much better.

No denying that the whole game is basically drive.... drive....drive...drive.... kill a bunch of guys (5 minutes of fun per half hour). drive ....drive.....drive.... save.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Wadders said:
This has cemented my belief that I am the only person in the world who likes Far Cry 2.

To me, the game is what you make of it. If you don't expect too much, experiment and dick about, then if you're like me you will have fun. If you accept it for what it is - a sandbox with story added for the hell of it - then its actually a really fun game.

If you expect it to be rich in story, side quests, unlocks and all that stuff, then you will be disappointed. Personally I loved feeling like nasty merc chappie, playing both sides of the factions, exploring the different areas and finding weird and wonderful ways to kill stuff.

But if you don't like it now, chances are the rest of the game wont make you change your tune.
I'm happy to report to you then that I finally went back to it and forced myself to play it, and I am enjoying it a lot more.

Once you unlock the grenade launcher and some decent assault rifles the game becomes a lot more fun, and much easier, as long as you keep going to the gunshops and stocking up between weapons.

I'm 5 missions from the end now and still having fun, though the respawning guard posts are still driving me insane.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
miracleofsound said:
Wadders said:

I'm happy to report to you then that I finally went back to it and forced myself to play it, and I am enjoying it a lot more.

Once you unlock the grenade launcher and some decent assault rifles the game becomes a lot more fun, and much easier, as long as you keep going to the gunshops and stocking up between weapons.

I'm 5 missions from the end now and still having fun, though the respawning guard posts are still driving me insane.

Wow, this is a blast from the past. So glad to hear you've stuck at it and realised how fun it is, despite its flaws :D

And I agree about the weapon unlocks. The beginning weapons are very mundane, but once you get to roll the big guns out, stuff can get really quite interesting. As you said, grenade launcher abuse is just too much fun to be allowed. I also have a soft spot for the dart rifle though, which is kinda the opposite end of the spectrum :D

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
miracleofsound said:
So I finally got round to buying Far Cry 2, needing a new open world to explore after spending obscene amounts of time in Tamriel and The Capital Wasteland...

I've been at it for about 7 or 8 hours now, just finished the second mission and I would like to address a few issues and find out what other people made of them.

1. Save system -

Well, it's a complete disaster really, isn't it?

Having to drive around for 20 minutes after each death to get back to your mission... why couldn't they give us an autosave? Mission checkpoints? Safehouses with some healthpacks in them? Savepoints closer to the objectives?

2. Travelling-

Though travelling the Savannah is beautiful, it is fucking boring.

I have spent 90% of my time in this game driving around and having to stop to fight off some respawning assholes at guard checkpoints, and 10% actually doing missions.

I would not mind spending this amount of time exploring if there were anything interesting to discover, but so far it has just been more grass and trees and the odd zebra.

Restocking on your main weapons is a tedious, tiresome chore as every safehouse and weapons shop is miles away from the fast-travel bus stops, which means endless to-ing and fro-ing through those goddamn guard houses.

All of this could have been sorted out easily with an option to fast travel between safehouses or unlocked locations.

I realise that having no no fast-travel option can add to immersion (i.e. Morrowind) but in this case, when there is nothing to discover en-route except another goddamn jeep full of lunatics, it is just boring and devoid of fun.

So what I want to know is this:

Did anyone else have these issues?

Does it pick up later in the game? Do missions become longer and involve less travelling in between thier segments?

Should I persist or just bring it back to the shop and get Saints Row 2?
Nope, it doesn't get any better than that, even if you unlock better weapons. Realistically the game is just broken and should never have been released under the FarCry brandname. Or hell, even released xD.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
There is a Quick save Op. F5 or F6. Doesn't anyone read manuals!? Or aren't you playing it on PC?
I didn't see anything wrong with Farcry 2. I got Heavily immersed into it. Like when you sprint and after a while you get tired and stuff gets blurry, I was actually blinking in real life.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Yeh, if you don't like it after about 8 hours, you probably never will. I, personally, thought the game was great, but a lot of people don't like it, so you're not alone there.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
No it doesn't, its shit with a terrible ending.. looks nice though.

There is one part that reminds me of bad boys 2 where you can drive through a shanty town, explosions, barrels, peopel jumping out the way, wooden splinters shooting through the cars windows. That about the best bit.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Distorted Stu said:
No it doesn't, its shit with a terrible ending.. looks nice though.

There is one part that reminds me of bad boys 2 where you can drive through a shanty town, explosions, barrels, peopel jumping out the way, wooden splinters shooting through the cars windows. That about the best bit.
Your avatar is win