Far Cry 2's Incendiary Nonsensibility

Adam LaMosca

Aug 7, 2006
Far Cry 2's Incendiary Nonsensibility

Bust out the pliers and grab on to your hang glider - it's time to take a tour through Far Cry 2.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I didn't really like that FC2. I gave it a rent, but put it down before I finished it.

MercFox1

Jun 19, 2008
Well, to make up for the disdain you guys had for it, I absolutely loved it. Sure, the guard post respawn issue could use a rework or patch; but that's ultimately the only thing I felt was wrong with the game.

I enjoyed the mechanic where you had to destroy convoys to get new weapons (especially once you get the IEDs), and I wasn't expecting such an interesting story. The combat was dynamic, and, if you were smart, being stealthy was easier than it seemed. One VIP in particular met a nasty end by my hand, all without a shot fired by either side.

One of my favorite games of the year, with more replay value than people think.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
The only awesome parts were when you could see your body and such during interactive cutscenes.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
I love Far cry 2. Like what MercFox1 said, the only problem was the respawning Guard Posts. I think they should have set the spawn at one in-game day. Enough to give you a little bit of peace but also so you don't start to wonder where everyone has gone.

The review was also pretty well written. I like the style.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
I'm glad that this review came out I've been looking at Farcry 2 for a while and wondering if I should go for it. It would be either that or STALKER shadow of (some wierd name) but I cant find ant reviews on that.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
i dont know why everyone hates far cry 2 i loved it and so does my friend and all of his friends. The only gripe i have about it is unbalanced multiplayer such as the four barreled grenade launcher, maybe people dont like it because they were expecting it to be more like its prequel.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
Awesome review!

I like playing Far Cry2 one hour at a time, its not a game you play continiously I find.

Like Burnout Paradise..

-Joe

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
mokes310 said:
CoverYourHead said:
I didn't really like that FC2. I gave it a rent, but put it down before I finished it.
Exactly what I did!
As did I. I just got annoyed with the ultimate engine repair simulator and medical game ever made.

awmperry

Geek of Guns and Games
Apr 30, 2008
It really was a huge disappointment. Not just the respawns and the kamikaze Land Rovers, but the rubbish sound effects (I have airsoft guns that sound more impressive than the FAL in the game), the simplistic and over-hyped fire effects, and the utterly linear storyline. Never mind the not-really-choice of endings. And how come all the cars are rubbish? All have identical top speeds, and the only real difference is that the Land Rovers (of all things) can pull handbrake turns. (Try pulling a handbrake turn in a real Landy and you'll pulverise the diff.)

It was pretty, certainly. And quite fun for the first hour, until you realised that every hour afterwards is a photocopy of that first hour. And with an infinite ammo trainer activated, it's quite good fun to shell guard posts and settlements from long range with RPGs and M79 rounds. But it's a bad sign for a game when I find myself having more fun in the map editor than in the game.

richasr

Dec 13, 2007
I did like FarCry2 however, I couldn't play it for too long each time, as the sheer amount of time spent travelling kind of broke the gameplay a bit. Also, I thought the first map area was the whole game, discovering there was another huge area was met with a mixture of joy and anguish.

I hope if they do a third game, that not everyone will attack you on sight, before trying to figure out if you're a friend or foe.

Map editor is awesome though

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I ddint like far cry 2- the faction system was totally screwed and it had 'console friendly' written all over it. I was expecting a much more Stalker like game. The story line is crap too.

devilondemand

Dec 14, 2007
I'm playing it now and absolutely loving it.

Yeah, some of it is a bit gimmicky (fixing your car, weapon jams, malaria) and the guardposts sure are irritating, but everything else is spot on.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
Set it down half-finished. The repetitive gameplay made this the prettiest game I never want to go back and play. A big box of tedium wrapped in glittering gift paper.

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
The problem is that everyone went into this game expecting an incredibly typical and mundane shooter. What did you get instead? A genre-bending title that at times could be said to border on art, featuring some of the most immersive and beautiful locations ever to be put on screen, set in a for once truly realistic situation, with subtle socio-political commentary. And you hate it because it's actually different from every other mindless shooter?

Fuck you guys. You say you want innovation, then you're slapped in the face with it and you toss it in the trash. It's not a perfect game, but my faith in the human race takes a tumble every time some Call of Duty-playing mouth-breather says he wants more variety in his games, only to attack that variety when it hits him point-blank and goes back to pissing into his Xbox Live microphone.

Regarding the article itself, it is well written, but I can't actually figure out what it's really trying to say. I've already played the game, and I know what it's about. Tell me what it means, not what it is.